|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Blood-Remembering.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rilke writes, as the first lines of "Blood-Remembering," "Ah! but verses amount to so little when one writes them _____."
(c) Through dreams.
2. What book of Simone de Beauvoir's does the commentator say led him to "militant feminism" in the Introduction to "Rilke's Letters on Love"?
(a) The Feminist Manifesto.
(b) Letters to a Young Poet.
(c) The Second Sex.
(d) The Woman's Life.
3. One poem, using nature imagery, reads, "Cheerful gift from the chillier / mountains / attempts to leap into ____."
4. Two-thirds of the poems in "Rilke's Poems on Other Difficulties" come from what year?
5. In the poem, "Mausoleum," what punctuation does Rilke use in a nontraditional way, at the beginning of two lines?
(a) A colon.
(b) A period.
(c) A comma.
(d) A semicolon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rilke writes of love that "So whoever loves must try to act as if he had a _________."
2. Rilke is regarded in his letters and his writing to be distinctly ahead of his time in what respect?
3. The commentator concludes the introduction to Rilke's love poetry in saying, "Rilke's poetry is somewhat precious and even _______."
4. Over what does the poet write, "we will together contend" in "Greek Love-Talk"?
5. This first poem in "Rilke's Poems on Other Difficulties" is titled what?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)