|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poems on Other Difficulties.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a very short untitled poem, Rilke writes, "The voices warned me so I _____."
2. The commentator regards that Rilke's "justly famed deep spirituality" is rooted essentially in what?
3. In the excerpt of Rilke's letter in the Introduction, what essay does he refer to reading?
(a) Homer's Odyssey.
(b) Cicero's Symposium.
(c) Platos' Cave.
(d) Plato's Symposium.
4. What literary term applies to the following: "exhaust yourself like a spring"?
5. What does Rilke accuse of vilifying sensuality and love?
(c) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book of Simone de Beauvoir's does the commentator say led him to "militant feminism" in the Introduction to "Rilke's Letters on Love"?
2. Which poem begins, "See how in their veins all becomes spirit"?
3. In the seventh of "The Seven Phallic Poems," what does the poet write that his "semen climbs gladly like"?
4. In "Gravity," Rilke writes, "Yet from the _____ falls, / as from a stored up cloud, / abundant rain of force."
5. What does the poet say in his untitled poem to do with that which, "offers itself to us with starlight"?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)