|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poems on Love.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rilke writes in his letters on love, "Once we were ______ in every part, now we are that in one part only."
2. Which poem begins with the line, "And the last perhaps will not return"?
(a) "Woman's Lament I."
(b) "Woman's Lament II."
(c) "Greek Love-Talk."
(d) "The Lovers."
3. Rilke writes in "The Seven Phallic Poems," "We close ______ by means of our gazes."
(a) Our blankets.
(b) A circle.
(c) The night.
(d) Our lips.
4. What literary term applies to the following: "exhaust yourself like a spring"?
5. In the seventh of "The Seven Phallic Poems," what does the poet write that his "semen climbs gladly like"?
(a) A tower.
(b) A tree.
(c) A child.
(d) A god.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rilke's letters are examples of what?
2. Who does Rilke say is incapable of such loving as he calls for?
3. What did the commentator originally call the selections of Rilke's letters which he copied and gave out?
4. What does the translator comment in the Prologue that his translations of Rilke are?
5. What does the commentator say was Rilke's mode of exploration during "the long periods between his well-known great creative bursts of energy"?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)