Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amelia think that Ponza put his mother-in-law up in town?
2. What do they let up and down on ropes at the Ponza's house?
3. What does Amalia say Ponza should be responsible for in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Who is above Ponza at his office?
5. Who says, "Excuse me, Signora, for wondering how it is... with your daughter here... after such a blow... that... it seems to me that survivors would need to stand together . . . ?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Sirellis argue about in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is Ponza's story of the situation in Act 1, Scene 5? What does Signora Frola believe in his story?
3. What about the documents makes them unreliable?
4. What exposition is provided by the gossip in Act 1, Scene 2 regarding the Ponzis' past?
5. Why does Signora Sirelli tell Amalia they've come in Act 1, Scene 2? What does Amalia tell them?
6. What does Amalia suggest about the daughter and the mother-in-law in Act 1, Scene 1? How does Laudisi reply?
7. How does Amalia explain the living situation of the Ponzas?
8. What are some of the sacrifices Ponza speaks of having endured because of the situation in Act 1, Scene 5?
9. What does Ponza ask of the Prefect as a condition that he present his wife? Why?
10. What does Dina say about the piano heard offstage in Act 2, Scene 6?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Right You Are, If You Think You Are to a play of the Commedia dell'arte style. What similarities exist between the two? What differences? What character might be what stock character from Commedia? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of both Tragedy and Comedy within Right You Are, If You Think You Are. Which elements of the play are Tragic? Which are Comic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Symbolism and Motif in Right You Are, If You Think You Are. What is the ultimate symbol of the play? What does that symbol represent? What motifs can be cited as examples? Define the terms in your answer.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)