|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Where is the village the Ponzas are from?
3. Who says, "You don't mean to say you understand it if a mother--unable to bear being away from the daughter--follows her and then is compelled to live apart from her in a city where after all she's a stranger too?"
4. Who lives in the same apartment building as Agazzi?
(c) Signora Frola.
(d) Signora Cini.
5. What blinds the mother-in-law while she's talking to her daughter?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her ignorance.
(c) The sunlight.
(d) Her veil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives in Act 1, Scene 5 after Signora Frola exits?
2. What destroyed the village Ponza comes from?
3. What is Ponza's apartment overlooking?
4. When does Ponza say he married the second time?
5. Who calls Ponza's behavior cruelty in Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Signora Frola respond to Sirelli's comment that it is Ponza who bars her from seeing her daughter in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What does Laudisi say the townspeople are doing to themselves in Act 1, Scene 2? What is his ongoing point throughout the play, as he says it in this scene?
3. What does Laudisi suggest about the mother-in-law and Ponza in Act 1, Scene 1? How do the women respond?
4. What does Laudisi say the townspeople are presented with in Act 2, Scene 1? How does Agazzi respond?
5. Why does Signora Sirelli tell Amalia they've come in Act 1, Scene 2? What does Amalia tell them?
6. What does Laudisi do alone in the room after the others have left in Act 2?
7. What does Dina say about the piano heard offstage in Act 2, Scene 6?
8. What does Laudisi say must be justified in the complaint the women have in Act 1, Scene 1? What is their response?
9. What does Ponza overhear his mother-in-law say in the other room which upsets him in Act 2, Scene 7?
10. What does Dina tell the women in Act 2, Scene 4 regarding Signora Frola? What have they seen?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)