|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "As a daughter, I don't claim my mother would climb ninety or a hundred stairs for me, but I wouldn't be satisfied with seeing her, without feeling her near me?"
(a) Signora Ponza.
(b) Signora Frola.
2. What does the Ponza family always wear?
(c) Juniper berries.
3. Who says, "You don't mean to say you understand it if a mother--unable to bear being away from the daughter--follows her and then is compelled to live apart from her in a city where after all she's a stranger too?"
4. Who arrives unexpectedly in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Signora Frola.
(b) Signora Zici.
(c) Signora Ponza.
(d) Signora Mancini.
5. Where is the village the Ponzas are from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dina compare Ponza's eyes to in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who arrives at the door after Ponza leaves in Act 1, Scene 6?
3. What does Ponza say happened to Signora Frola's daughter?
4. What does Signora Frola say that she and her friends arranged?
5. What happens when the mother-in-law pulls the rope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amalia suggest about the daughter and the mother-in-law in Act 1, Scene 1? How does Laudisi reply?
2. What does Laudisi say the townspeople are doing to themselves in Act 1, Scene 2? What is his ongoing point throughout the play, as he says it in this scene?
3. What is the outcome of the play? What does Signora Ponza tell the crowd?
4. What does Laudisi suggest about the Prefect in Act 3?
5. What does Ponza make of the piano music in Act 2, Scene 7? Why?
6. What has Centuri discovered in Act 2, Scene 1 regarding Ponza's village?
7. What does Laudisi say must be justified in the complaint the women have in Act 1, Scene 1? What is their response?
8. What is Signora Frola's reason for not accepted guests in Act 1, Scene 4? What do the townspeople ask her regarding this?
9. What does Laudisi suggest everyone accept as the truth? Why?
10. What does Dina tell the women in Act 2, Scene 4 regarding Signora Frola? What have they seen?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)