|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "You don't mean to say you understand it if a mother--unable to bear being away from the daughter--follows her and then is compelled to live apart from her in a city where after all she's a stranger too?"
2. Which character is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What did Ponza stand there waiting for Amalia to do, according to them in Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Get tea.
(c) Take a drive.
(d) Come in.
4. Who does Signor Sirelli say Ponza keeps under lock and key?
(a) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
5. Which character asks Signora Frola if she climbs all the stairs twice a day in Act 1 Scene 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laudisi say to the others is useless in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. How old is Dina?
3. Why does Signora Frola say she and her daughter choose not to see one another in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Who is above Ponza at his office?
5. Who declares that Signora Frola was nearly crying after she has left in Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prefect say Ponza asked him to do? What does this prove in his opinion?
2. How does Signora Frola explain her daughter's behavior in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. How does Amalia explain the living situation of the Ponzas?
4. How does Signora Frola respond to Ponza in Act 2, Scene 8? What do the women do?
5. What has Centuri discovered in Act 2, Scene 1 regarding Ponza's village?
6. How does Ponza react to the Prefect's suggestion? What is the Prefect's response?
7. What does Laudisi say the townspeople are presented with in Act 2, Scene 1? How does Agazzi respond?
8. What do the Sirellis argue about in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Why does Signora Frola apologize in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the reaction?
10. What does Dina say about the piano heard offstage in Act 2, Scene 6?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)