|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Butler show in at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Sirelli and his wife.
(b) Senora Ponza.
(c) Senora Canelli.
(d) Cenora Laudisi.
2. Why does Laudisi suggest the wife doesn't go outdoors in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She's in love.
(b) She hates the town.
(c) She's sick.
(d) She's a hypochondriac.
3. Who says, "You don't mean to say you understand it if a mother--unable to bear being away from the daughter--follows her and then is compelled to live apart from her in a city where after all she's a stranger too?"
4. What does Signora Frola say that she and her daughter are with their arrangement?
5. Who arrives in Act 1, Scene 5 after Signora Frola exits?
(a) Signora Ponza.
6. Who says, "The truth, my dear, is that, with a husband who always claims to know everything, I never manage to know anything?"
(a) Signora Agazzi.
(b) Signora Sirelli.
(c) Signora Ponza.
(d) Signora Bologna.
7. What does Ponza say of his mother-in-law in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) She is lovely.
(b) She is evil.
(c) She is mad.
(d) She is hateful.
8. What does Dina compare Ponza's eyes to in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A wild beast.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A gentleman.
9. When does Ponza say he married the second time?
(a) One year ago.
(b) Two years ago.
(c) Ten years ago.
(d) Four years ago.
10. How does Signora Frola communicate with her daughter?
(a) From the terrace.
(b) Letters from afar.
(c) By telephone.
(d) From the courtyard.
11. What does Ponza say happened to Signora Frola's daughter?
(a) She is at home.
(b) She left him.
(c) She had a nervous breakdown.
(d) She died.
12. What does Signora Sirelli refer to Amalia as in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The wife of the governor.
(b) The wife of a sailor.
(c) The wife of a hero.
(d) The wife of a superior.
13. When does Ponza come to visit Signora Frola?
(a) Once every three days.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Every evening.
14. What does Amalia say her husband claims Ponza is lacking in Act 1, Scene 2?
15. What is notable about the courtyard at the building where Ponza lives?
(a) It is beautiful.
(b) It is vast.
(c) It is filled with peaches.
(d) It is dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Dina say that she and Amalia have attempted to visit Senora Frola?
2. What does Laudisi suggest as a reason the mother-in-law and her daughter live apart?
3. Who does Signor Sirelli say Ponza keeps under lock and key?
4. Who has seen Ponza's wife in the village in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Sirelli call Ponza in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)