|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Paine think was the origin of the delegated power of government?
2. How did the Peers become rich?
3. How much power did Paine think the Articles of Confederation gave the states?
4. According to Paine in Of the Old and New Systems of Government, what was the American Presidency originally built on?
5. What was Burke's opinion of the Peers that Paine disagreed with in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which changes would Paine make to the revenue distribution system of the monarchy?
2. Which two functions did Paine divide governments into in Of Constitutions?
3. Which taxes and regulations did Paine think should be reduced or abolished in England?
4. What was Paine's objection to the Articles of Confederation?
5. How did Paine define the old governments and the new governments in Chapter 3?
6. What was Paine's definition of Constitution in Of Constitutions?
7. How did Paine discuss social order in Chapter 1?
8. What was Paine's opinion of George Washington?
9. Why did Paine support commerce and universal trade in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
10. How much time had passed between Part One and Part Two of Rights of Man, and how did Burke respond to Part One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main position that Paine took in Of Society and Civilization was that a society could function with little or no government.
1) Describe early America before the American Revolution and the reasons why it maintained itself without a formal government.
2) Explain the characteristics that Paine outlined for how a country could be maintained by society without government.
3) Analyze Paine's opinions of government's role in society and whether he thought there could be a government without society.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the American Constitution with the monarchical government in England, using three examples from Of Constitutions to support your analysis. Specifically, include your assessment of Paine's view of the American legal system and the election process for the presidency.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, Paine provided his suggestions for solving some of England's most significant problems.
1) Describe the exhaustion of the elderly in the workhouse of Europe and Paine's suggestions for improving the conditions for the them.
2) Explain why Paine was concerned about the children of England and the programs he recommended to give them moral instruction and direction.
3) Analyze Paine's budgetary advice for England and how it was designed to solve the problems of the poor, the elderly and the children.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)