|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Paine describe the idea of bureaucrats managing trade properly?
2. What two things did Paine think were at the root of old governments in Of the Old and New Systems of Government?
3. What was Paine's opinion of Burke's new work when he wrote Part Two of Rights of Man?
4. What did Paine advocate for business regulations in the British government?
5. How did Paine indicate the corporate charters destroy rights in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Paine's objection to the Articles of Confederation?
2. How did Paine define the old governments and the new governments in Chapter 3?
3. Which countries did Paine think should have a constitution and what would make it work for them?
4. What did Paine think should be done about the Peers in England?
5. What was the purpose of Congress' original meetings in 1774 and 1775, and what effect did the Declaration of Independence have on America?
6. Why did Paine think that natural rights rejected hereditary government?
7. How and why were the committees of America formed before the Declaration of Independence?
8. How was the Constitution passed and what concerns did people have about it at the time?
9. What particular problem in London did Paine address in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
10. What was the difference in the opinions of Sieyes and Burke and the monarchies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the origin of the natural rights that Paine wrote about. Include an explanation of what the rights were, where they came from, the differences between natural and civil rights and how those rights should be represented in government and society.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, Paine provided his suggestions for solving some of England's most significant problems.
1) Describe the exhaustion of the elderly in the workhouse of Europe and Paine's suggestions for improving the conditions for the them.
2) Explain why Paine was concerned about the children of England and the programs he recommended to give them moral instruction and direction.
3) Analyze Paine's budgetary advice for England and how it was designed to solve the problems of the poor, the elderly and the children.
Essay Topic 3
The Miscellaneous Chapter was a collection of Paine's thoughts that he included in a separate section of the book.
1) Describe the reasons Paine had for writing a Miscellaneous Chapter, in literal terms and political.
2) Explain the view of government that Paine depicted in the Miscellaneous Chapter.
3) Analyze the conflict that Paine and Burke had with their views about the ideal government in the Miscellaneous Chapter.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)