|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following was not included in Paine's description of how America was prospering in Of Society and Civilization?
2. What was Paine's opinion of Burke's new work when he wrote Part Two of Rights of Man?
3. What were Paine's thoughts about the idea of nations flourishing on commerce alone?
4. How did Paine describe the society in small domains where government was necessary?
5. How did Paine describe the picture of corporate towns in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paine define the old governments and the new governments in Chapter 3?
2. Based on the information provided in Of Constitutions, how did the American Constitution avoid the same mistakes made by the monarchical governments?
3. What was Paine's definition of Constitution in Of Constitutions?
4. How did Paine describe Republicanism as a response to Burke at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What was the difference in the opinions of Sieyes and Burke and the monarchies?
6. What was Paine's objection to the Articles of Confederation?
7. Why did Paine support commerce and universal trade in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
8. Why did Paine think that natural rights rejected hereditary government?
9. How did Paine compare the American Constitution with the constitution of England in Of Constitutions?
10. As discussed in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, what effect would a possible alliance with France have for England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of Constitutions chronicled America's path to Independence and the forming of the Constitution.
1) Describe at least three key events that led to the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation.
2) Explain Paine's objection to the Articles of Confederation and if they seem valid in your opinion.
3) Analyze the ratification of the Constitution and how the concerns the people had back then about the document could be applied to current times.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the origin of the natural rights that Paine wrote about. Include an explanation of what the rights were, where they came from, the differences between natural and civil rights and how those rights should be represented in government and society.
Essay Topic 3
Explain three examples of mistakes that Burke made in his description of the French Revolution, Paine's correction of the mistakes, and what their inaccuracy showed about Burke's opinions.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)