|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many nations did Paine believe had the right to establish constitutions?
2. What did the Declaration of Independence lead to for the representative government that prevailed?
3. How many houses of Congress were part of the Constitution that was ratified at the constitutional convention?
4. Compared to previous Revolutions, what did Paine think future Revolutions would be like?
5. What forms of objection were there to the Articles of Confederation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Paine think should be done about the Peers in England?
2. How did Paine end Rights of Man with the optimism of the coming Revolutions and Republics?
3. What was Paine's opinion of corporate charters?
4. What was Paine's opinion of George Washington?
5. What did Paine write about the origins of government in Chapter 2?
6. What was the difference in the opinions of Sieyes and Burke and the monarchies?
7. How did Paine discuss social order in Chapter 1?
8. What was the purpose of Congress' original meetings in 1774 and 1775, and what effect did the Declaration of Independence have on America?
9. How did Paine define the old governments and the new governments in Chapter 3?
10. Why did Paine support commerce and universal trade in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main position that Paine took in Of Society and Civilization was that a society could function with little or no government.
1) Describe early America before the American Revolution and the reasons why it maintained itself without a formal government.
2) Explain the characteristics that Paine outlined for how a country could be maintained by society without government.
3) Analyze Paine's opinions of government's role in society and whether he thought there could be a government without society.
Essay Topic 2
Part Two of Rights of Man began with an Introduction about America's success and the reasons behind it.
1) Describe the aspects of America that Paine thought helped them succeed in forming a new government.
2) Explain why Paine expressed that America was the only place that could have tried a new form of government at that time.
3) Analyze the success of America as it is highlighted by Paine in the Introduction of Part Two of Rights of Man.
Essay Topic 3
Using the information Paine provided in Chapter 2 of Part Two of Rights of Man, compare the origins of the English government with the actions that Paine had observed in the monarchical government. Also, include an analysis of the origin of government in general, the initial intentions of its development and why Paine supported the representative style of government as the best option.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)