|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crucial point did Paine make about power in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
2. Why did Paine have an accurate account of the Revolution he discussed in Rights of Man?
3. What did Paine say in the Preface that the people would have to see in order for Liberty to prevail?
4. Since the people are sovereign, what were the only type of actions that Paine thought should be stopped by the law?
5. As explained by Paine, what is the purpose of civil rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paine dispute Burke's opinion of the hereditary monarchy in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
2. What was Paine's explanation of reason and ignorance in the Conclusion of Part One?
3. How did Paine defend the French people against the insulting term that Burke used to describe them?
4. What rights did Dr. Price think the people of England had, and how did Burke disagree?
5. What explanation did Paine given in Rights of Man about natural rights and human authority?
6. What was the essence of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizens?
7. What was the main point in the first preface for Rights of Man?
8. Why was Paine qualified to write about the French's situation accurately?
9. What was another reason that Paine gave for writing Rights of Man in the third preface?
10. How did the second preface of Rights of Man begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the information Paine provided in Chapter 2 of Part Two of Rights of Man, compare the origins of the English government with the actions that Paine had observed in the monarchical government. Also, include an analysis of the origin of government in general, the initial intentions of its development and why Paine supported the representative style of government as the best option.
Essay Topic 2
Part Two of Rights of Man began with an Introduction about America's success and the reasons behind it.
1) Describe the aspects of America that Paine thought helped them succeed in forming a new government.
2) Explain why Paine expressed that America was the only place that could have tried a new form of government at that time.
3) Analyze the success of America as it is highlighted by Paine in the Introduction of Part Two of Rights of Man.
Essay Topic 3
Explain three examples of mistakes that Burke made in his description of the French Revolution, Paine's correction of the mistakes, and what their inaccuracy showed about Burke's opinions.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)