|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine in the Preface, who was his audience for Rights of Man?
2. As he stated in the Preface, who did Paine specifically intend to give an accurate account of the war to by writing Rights of Man?
3. Which rights did Paine include as ones that the government should guarantee from the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Of Citizens, by the National Assembly of France?
4. Which one of the following was a type of preface that Rights of Man included?
5. To begin the Preface, what was Paine's response to Burke's lack of support for the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paine clarify the target of the French people during the Revolution?
2. Who did Paine say his audience was in the third preface and what was his response to the backlash his readers were experiencing?
3. How did Paine defend the French people against the insulting term that Burke used to describe them?
4. What was the essence of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizens?
5. According to the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizens, what was the purpose of laws?
6. Why was Paine qualified to write about the French's situation accurately?
7. How did Paine indicate his intent for writing the Rights of Man in the second preface?
8. What caused Thomas Paine to write Rights of Man?
9. What explanation did Paine given in Rights of Man about natural rights and human authority?
10. What was the English government's perception of the French Revolution and the French government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paine provided a detailed analysis of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizens.
1) Describe the main articles of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizens and their purpose.
2) Explain which articles best represented Paine's positions and why.
3) Analyze the influence that the articles had in the forming of the laws in France.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the origin of the natural rights that Paine wrote about. Include an explanation of what the rights were, where they came from, the differences between natural and civil rights and how those rights should be represented in government and society.
Essay Topic 3
Explain three examples of mistakes that Burke made in his description of the French Revolution, Paine's correction of the mistakes, and what their inaccuracy showed about Burke's opinions.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)