|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paine think was the origin of the delegated power of government?
2. How did Paine describe republicanism in Of the Old and New Systems of Government?
(a) It reinforces the notion of loyalty.
(b) It promotes the common thinking.
(c) It promotes the common good.
(d) It reinforces the notion of justice.
3. As Paine explained in Of Society and Civilization, what has nature given man to ensure the cooperation needed to survive?
(a) Wants that exceed the ability to provide.
(b) Wants that preceed the ability to provide.
(c) A desire to create a better way.
(d) A desire to develop the undeveloped.
4. What was Paine's opinion of Burke's new work when he wrote Part Two of Rights of Man?
(a) He did not read it.
(b) He did not think much of it.
(c) He thought is was a slight improvement.
(d) He thought it was worse than before.
5. How did Paine describe America in Part Two of Rights of Man?
(a) A country of rapid progress.
(b) A country of rapid production.
(c) A country of limitless progress.
(d) A country of limitless production.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the first part of Rights of Man was Part Two published?
2. What type of trade did Paine think would destroy war in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
3. Announcing the arrival of representative government at the end of Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, how did Paine advise that future revolution should be contemplated?
4. In concluding Of the Old and New Systems of Government, what did Paine state was the basis for free governments?
5. What did the Declaration of Independence lead to for the representative government that prevailed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Paine's opinion of George Washington?
2. How was the Constitution passed and what concerns did people have about it at the time?
3. Why did Paine think that America was the only country that could have tried the new form of government he supported?
4. What was Paine's plan for paying off the national debt in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
5. What was Paine's objection to the Articles of Confederation?
6. Based on the information provided in Of Constitutions, how did the American Constitution avoid the same mistakes made by the monarchical governments?
7. How did Paine discuss social order in Chapter 1?
8. How much time had passed between Part One and Part Two of Rights of Man, and how did Burke respond to Part One?
9. How did Paine respond to objections about Rights of Man?
10. How did Paine compare the American Constitution with the constitution of England in Of Constitutions?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)