|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paine think the English's reliance on law by precedence led to?
(a) Distrust of the law.
(b) Abolishment of the law.
(c) Confusion of the law.
(d) Ignorance of the law.
2. As mentioned in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, what year did the Glorious Revolution take place?
3. What did Paine urge the people of Europe to believe in?
(a) Their ability to govern themselves.
(b) Their ability to organize themselves.
(c) Their understanding of civilization.
(d) Their understanding of laws.
4. In concluding Of the Old and New Systems of Government, what did Paine state was the basis for free governments?
(a) Neither law nor persons.
(b) Law and persons.
(c) Law, not persons.
(d) Persons, not law.
5. Because the English government was undisciplined in Paine's opinion, what were they too preoccupied with?
(a) Maintaining the laws.
(c) Changing the laws.
(d) Foreign affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of ignorance did Paine think the monarchy acted in when using its arbitrary power?
2. What type of trade did Paine think would destroy war in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
3. Considering the point that Paine made in Of Constitutions, what were governments designed to promote under a constitution?
4. What did the Declaration of Independence lead to for the representative government that prevailed?
5. What was Burke's opinion of the Peers that Paine disagreed with in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paine define the old governments and the new governments in Chapter 3?
2. Based on the information provided in Of Constitutions, how did the American Constitution avoid the same mistakes made by the monarchical governments?
3. How was the Constitution passed and what concerns did people have about it at the time?
4. How much time had passed between Part One and Part Two of Rights of Man, and how did Burke respond to Part One?
5. How and why were the committees of America formed before the Declaration of Independence?
6. Which changes would Paine make to the revenue distribution system of the monarchy?
7. What did Paine think should be done about the Peers in England?
8. As discussed in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, what effect would a possible alliance with France have for England?
9. What was Paine's opinion of corporate charters?
10. What was Paine's definition of Constitution in Of Constitutions?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)