|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Declaration of Independence lead to for the representative government that prevailed?
(a) A sense of completion.
(b) A sense of goodness.
(c) A sense of cohesiveness.
(d) A sense of power.
2. As Paine wrote in Part Two of Rights of Man, what did the American Revolution put into practice for the first time?
(a) Less government laws.
(b) More government laws.
(c) Realistic theory.
(d) Democratic theory.
3. As explained by Paine in Of Constitutions, what made the constitutions binding?
(a) Nations had no interest in being misled.
(b) Nations had no interest in being wrong.
(c) Nations put their success as a priority.
(d) Nations put their coexistence as a priority.
4. What type of taxes did the Peers pay?
5. Which event did Paine refer to in Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments as he discussed the formation of the English government?
(a) The English Civil War.
(b) The Norman Conquest.
(c) The Hundred Years' War.
(d) The Italian Wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many nations did Paine believe had the right to establish constitutions?
2. How did Paine indicate the corporate charters destroy rights in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
3. How did the Peers become rich?
4. What type of ignorance did Paine think the monarchy acted in when using its arbitrary power?
5. Which words did Paine use to depict the costs of the monarchy in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paine describe Republicanism as a response to Burke at the end of Chapter 3?
2. Which taxes and regulations did Paine think should be reduced or abolished in England?
3. Which two functions did Paine divide governments into in Of Constitutions?
4. Why did Paine think that natural rights rejected hereditary government?
5. Why did Paine support commerce and universal trade in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
6. What was Paine's opinion of George Washington?
7. How did Paine discuss social order in Chapter 1?
8. Which changes would Paine make to the revenue distribution system of the monarchy?
9. How did Paine define the old governments and the new governments in Chapter 3?
10. What was the purpose of Congress' original meetings in 1774 and 1775, and what effect did the Declaration of Independence have on America?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)