|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As explained by Paine in Of Constitutions, what made the constitutions binding?
(a) Nations had no interest in being wrong.
(b) Nations put their coexistence as a priority.
(c) Nations had no interest in being misled.
(d) Nations put their success as a priority.
2. Using history to support his opinion, what did Paine find unsurprising about how governments began?
(a) They began in ignorance.
(b) They began as murderers.
(c) They began as robbers.
(d) They began in chaos.
3. According to Paine in Of Constitutions, how many representative bodies should a government have?
4. How many counties did Pennsylvania initially have before the American Constitution was formed?
5. What type of trade did Paine think would destroy war in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Paine describe republicanism in Of the Old and New Systems of Government?
2. After explaining why he thought corporations should be abolished, what did Paine say companies should be free to do?
3. What word did Paine use to describe the decisions of juries in Part Two of Rights of Man?
4. As Paine explained in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, what should the increase of commerce never be attributed to?
5. In concluding Of the Old and New Systems of Government, what did Paine state was the basis for free governments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Paine's plan for paying off the national debt in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
2. How did Paine compare the American Constitution with the constitution of England in Of Constitutions?
3. What description of early America did Paine provide in order to prove how a society could maintain itself without government?
4. What was Paine's objection to the Articles of Confederation?
5. Which countries did Paine think should have a constitution and what would make it work for them?
6. Which taxes and regulations did Paine think should be reduced or abolished in England?
7. Which changes would Paine make to the revenue distribution system of the monarchy?
8. How and why were the committees of America formed before the Declaration of Independence?
9. What was the difference in the opinions of Sieyes and Burke and the monarchies?
10. As discussed in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, what effect would a possible alliance with France have for England?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)