|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paine say in the Preface that the people would have to see in order for Liberty to prevail?
2. What distinction did Paine make in the Preface?
(a) Between the state and the nation.
(b) Between the state and the religion.
(c) Between the state, the nation and the government.
(d) Between the nation and the government.
3. In the beginning of Rights of Man, how did Paine describe Burke's pamphlet?
(a) Lies, exaggerations, and hatred.
(b) Lies, bigotry, and hatred.
(c) Lies, bigotry, and exaggerations.
(d) Exaggerations, bigotry, and hatred.
4. As Paine wrote, what kind of impact would the French Revolution have?
(a) Only an impact on France.
(b) An impact on France and other countries.
(c) Only an impact on other countries.
(d) Neither an impact on France nor other countries.
5. Based on Paine's assessment, how were the people's opinion of government changing as a result of the American and French Revolutions?
(c) Not quickly enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Paine pointed out in the Miscellaneous Chapter, what did Burke think the government had a monopoly on?
2. Based on the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Of Citizens, by the National Assembly of France, whose will did the law express?
3. What happened to responsibility when a country attempted to blend both influences that Paine referenced in the Conclusion of Part One?
4. Challenging Burke's view that the government had knowledge, what did Paine insist that Burke could not prove?
5. As mentioned in the Miscellaneous Chapter, when did the people of England overthrow the monarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Paine say his audience was in the third preface and what was his response to the backlash his readers were experiencing?
2. Which rights did Paine include in the third preface for Rights of Man?
3. Why did Paine write the Miscellaneous Chapter?
4. What criticism of Burke did Paine include at the end of the Miscellaneous Chapter?
5. What were some of Paine's problems with Burke's views of governmental wisdom?
6. How did the second preface of Rights of Man begin?
7. How did Paine defend the French people against the insulting term that Burke used to describe them?
8. According to the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizens, what was the purpose of laws?
9. What was Paine's explanation of reason and ignorance in the Conclusion of Part One?
10. How did Paine name the new era that was taking place and the future of the Revolutions at the end of Part One's Conclusion?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)