|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paine think could be abolished by a European Congress?
2. As Paine wrote, what kind of impact would the French Revolution have?
(a) Only an impact on other countries.
(b) Neither an impact on France nor other countries.
(c) An impact on France and other countries.
(d) Only an impact on France.
3. Besides English, which other language was Rights of Man published in?
4. How did Paine think the English government viewed the French Revolution?
(a) They supported only certain aspects of it.
(b) They supported it.
(c) He did not comment on their view.
(d) They did not support it.
5. Based on Paine's assessment, how were the people's opinion of government changing as a result of the American and French Revolutions?
(c) Not quickly enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Paine choose to write a Miscellaneous Chapter of miscellaneous thoughts?
2. What did Paine think should be used to justify laws?
3. What is a good description of the second part of Rights of Man?
4. How did Paine categorize Burke's speech to the English Parliament?
5. Which century was Thomas Paine known for being one of the great political thinkers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the main point in the first preface for Rights of Man?
2. What was the essence of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizens?
3. What was the English government's perception of the French Revolution and the French government?
4. What were the differences in the three forms of government authority that Paine mentioned in Rights of Man?
5. How did Paine defend the French people against the insulting term that Burke used to describe them?
6. What rights did Dr. Price think the people of England had, and how did Burke disagree?
7. Which inefficiencies of the English government did Paine discuss in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
8. Which positive examples of the French Constitution did Paine include in Rights of Man?
9. How did Paine name the new era that was taking place and the future of the Revolutions at the end of Part One's Conclusion?
10. Which rights did Paine include in the third preface for Rights of Man?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)