|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine in the Miscellaneous Chapter, what did tyranny in the English government cause?
(a) Political and economic instability.
(b) Political, economic and international instability.
(c) Political instability.
(d) Economic and international instability.
2. What impressed Paine about the National Assembly in Rights of Man?
(a) Their ability to prevent revolt.
(b) Their objectivity.
(c) Their ability to restrain revolt.
(d) Their patience.
3. As Paine wrote, what kind of impact would the French Revolution have?
(a) Neither an impact on France nor other countries.
(b) Only an impact on other countries.
(c) An impact on France and other countries.
(d) Only an impact on France.
4. Which word did Paine use to describe the monarchy in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
5. Instead of rights, what did Paine say was included in Burke's arguments?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Paine think that Burke refused to compare the French and British Constitutions?
2. What distinction did Paine make in the Preface?
3. How did Paine think the English people viewed the French Revolution?
4. Which right did the French people have that Paine cited as something the English people did not have?
5. What did Paine think should be used to justify laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was another reason that Paine gave for writing Rights of Man in the third preface?
2. How did Paine indicate his intent for writing the Rights of Man in the second preface?
3. How did Paine dispute Burke's opinion of the hereditary monarchy in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
4. What drawbacks to the English government did Paine write about while covering the rights that the French people had?
5. Which positive examples of the French Constitution did Paine include in Rights of Man?
6. What explanation did Paine given in Rights of Man about natural rights and human authority?
7. Why was Paine qualified to write about the French's situation accurately?
8. How did the English people differ with the English government about the French Revolution?
9. Why did Paine write the Miscellaneous Chapter?
10. What were the differences in the three forms of government authority that Paine mentioned in Rights of Man?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)