|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Paine explained in Of Society and Civilization, what has nature given man to ensure the cooperation needed to survive?
(a) A desire to create a better way.
(b) Wants that preceed the ability to provide.
(c) Wants that exceed the ability to provide.
(d) A desire to develop the undeveloped.
2. Which event did Paine refer to in Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments as he discussed the formation of the English government?
(a) The Norman Conquest.
(b) The English Civil War.
(c) The Hundred Years' War.
(d) The Italian Wars.
3. How did Paine describe the society in small domains where government was necessary?
4. How did Paine describe the idea of bureaucrats managing trade properly?
5. Because the English government was undisciplined in Paine's opinion, what were they too preoccupied with?
(a) Changing the laws.
(c) Maintaining the laws.
(d) Foreign affairs.
6. Which one of the following was not included by Paine in the list of things that commerce led to?
7. In Paine's opinion, what did the power of the Peers represent?
(a) Financial ignorance.
(b) Political corruption.
(c) Financial devastation.
(d) Political inequality.
8. Which part of the English Constitution did Paine cite as a significant achievement?
(a) Charter of Liberties.
(b) Petition of Right.
(c) Bill of Rights.
(d) Magna Carta.
9. Considering the point that Paine made in Of Constitutions, what were governments designed to promote under a constitution?
(a) The individual and collective good.
(b) Neither the individual nor the collective good.
(c) Only the collective good.
(d) Only the individual good.
10. How did Paine react to Burke's refusal to respond to Part One of Rights of Man?
(a) He found it cowardly.
(b) He found it surprising.
(c) He found it frustrating.
(d) He found it inexusable.
11. What type of formal government did the frontier areas of America have before the American Revolution?
(a) More than they did after the Revolution.
(b) Very little.
(d) The same as they did after the Revolution.
12. How did Paine describe America in Part Two of Rights of Man?
(a) A country of rapid production.
(b) A country of limitless production.
(c) A country of rapid progress.
(d) A country of limitless progress.
13. Announcing the arrival of representative government at the end of Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, how did Paine advise that future revolution should be contemplated?
14. Who did Paine contend that a monarchy was maintained to amuse?
(a) The rich.
(b) The gullible.
(c) The poor.
(d) The stupid.
15. Using history to support his opinion, what did Paine find unsurprising about how governments began?
(a) They began in chaos.
(b) They began as robbers.
(c) They began in ignorance.
(d) They began as murderers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the new principles of government that Paine wrote about in Of the Old and New Systems of Government?
2. Which two functions did Paine outline for governments in Of Constitutions?
3. What style was Part One of Rights of Man written in by Paine?
4. How did Paine refer to tax revenue in the European governments?
5. What did Paine advocate for business regulations in the British government?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)