|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, Interspersed with Miscellaneous Observations.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paine think were society's greatest laws?
(a) The laws of independence.
(b) The laws of reason.
(c) The laws of equality.
(d) The laws of nature.
2. After explaining why he thought corporations should be abolished, what did Paine say companies should be free to do?
(a) Compete with each other.
(b) Merge with corporations.
(c) Merge with each other.
(d) Compete with corporations.
3. In order to prove the senselessness of Burke's position on the monarchy, what did Paine maintain could not be done to individual rights?
(a) They could not be borrowed, transferred or annihilated.
(b) They could not be transferred or annihilated.
(c) They could not be borrowed or annihilated.
(d) They could not be borrowed or transferred.
4. According to Paine in the Miscellaneous Chapter, what did tyranny in the English government cause?
(a) Political, economic and international instability.
(b) Economic and international instability.
(c) Political and economic instability.
(d) Political instability.
5. How long after the first part of Rights of Man was Part Two published?
(a) Two years.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, what year did the Glorious Revolution take place?
2. Which plot was uncovered with the storming of the Bastille?
3. What three things did Paine believe would progress as a result of future Revolutions?
4. Referencing the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Of Citizens, by the National Assembly of France, what did Paine state was the purpose of government?
5. Which effect did Paine think domestic trade had on foreign trade?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)