|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe, Interspersed with Miscellaneous Observations.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Paine describe the laws protecting the aristocracy in Ways and Means of Improving the Conditions of Europe?
(a) Brutal and confusing.
(b) Misleading and unjust.
(c) Misleading and confusing.
(d) Brutal and unjust.
2. What did Paine urge the people of Europe to believe in?
(a) Their ability to organize themselves.
(b) Their ability to govern themselves.
(c) Their understanding of laws.
(d) Their understanding of civilization.
3. As explained by Paine in the Conclusion of Part One, which two forces was mankind influenced by?
(a) Reason and ignorance.
(b) Reason and knowledge.
(c) Curiosity and knowledge.
(d) Curiosity and ignorance.
4. How did Paine describe the Declaration of Rights in Observations on the Declarations of Rights?
(a) An outstanding triumph.
(b) An unprecedented event.
(c) A spectacular accomplishment.
(d) A fantastic achievement.
5. Compared to previous Revolutions, what did Paine think future Revolutions would be like?
(a) More expensive.
(b) Less expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Paine categorize Burke's speech to the English Parliament?
2. As he noted in the Preface, where did Paine desire to collect his political thoughts?
3. What idea did Burke's views lead to, according to Paine in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
4. In the beginning of Rights of Man, how did Paine describe Burke's pamphlet?
5. To begin the Preface, what was Paine's response to Burke's lack of support for the French Revolution?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)