|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part the Second, Combining Principle of Practice, Preface and Introduction, Chapter 1, Of Society and Civilization, Chapter 2, Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments, Chapter 3, Of the Old and New Systems of Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Depicting the flaw in Burke's way of thinking, what did Paine indicate was being ignored by Burke?
(a) Plots against the government.
(b) Plots on behalf of other governments.
(c) Plots against other governments.
(d) Plots on behalf of the government.
2. How did Paine describe the mismanagement of government finances in countries like England and France?
3. In Rights of Man, what did Paine say society granted men?
(a) A lot.
(c) Very little.
4. In Paine's opinion, what did Burke's position on England's past laws justify?
5. What did Articles IV, V and VI do in Observations on the Declarations of Rights?
(a) Replace the first three articles.
(b) Shorten the first three articles.
(c) Extend the first three articles.
(d) Evaluate the first three articles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in Paine's list of the general forms of government authority?
2. What type of work was Rights of Man?
3. In the beginning of Rights of Man, how did Paine describe Burke's pamphlet?
4. In the Preface of Rights of Man, who did Paine think should go directly to the people?
5. In order to prove the senselessness of Burke's position on the monarchy, what did Paine maintain could not be done to individual rights?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)