|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part the Second, Combining Principle of Practice, Preface and Introduction, Chapter 1, Of Society and Civilization, Chapter 2, Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments, Chapter 3, Of the Old and New Systems of Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides English, which other language was Rights of Man published in?
2. To make a point about the absurdity of Burke's argument, what did Paine say could not happen in England without consent?
(a) Incomes could not be taxed.
(b) Property could not be seized.
(c) War could not be declared.
(d) Money could not be used.
3. As commented on by Paine, how did Burke refer to the events concerning the Bastille?
(a) He hardly mentioned it.
(b) He mentioned it, but with the wrong facts.
(c) He mentioned it, but with one wrong fact.
(d) He mentioned it too much.
4. According to Paine in the Preface, who was his audience for Rights of Man?
(a) The western world.
(b) A small part of the world.
(c) The whole world.
(d) Half the world.
5. In the Preface of Rights of Man, who did Paine think should go directly to the people?
(a) Friends of Liberty.
(b) Friends of Justice.
(c) Defenders of Justice.
(d) Defenders of Liberty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other war had Burke previously supported?
2. According to the French Constitution that Paine referred to, how often must the National Assembly be elected?
3. What mood was the beginning of the second Preface of Rights of Man written by Paine?
4. What three things did Paine believe would progress as a result of future Revolutions?
5. What did Paine discuss about the French government at the end of Rights of Man?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)