|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part the Second, Combining Principle of Practice, Preface and Introduction, Chapter 1, Of Society and Civilization, Chapter 2, Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments, Chapter 3, Of the Old and New Systems of Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In concluding Of the Old and New Systems of Government, what did Paine state was the basis for free governments?
(a) Neither law nor persons.
(b) Law and persons.
(c) Persons, not law.
(d) Law, not persons.
2. Building on the foundation of Part One, in what style was Part Two of Rights of Man written?
(a) Measured, thoughtful and inclusive.
(b) Thoughtful and inclusive.
(c) Measured and thoughtful.
(d) Measured and derogatory.
3. Which term that Burke used to label the French people did Paine consider to be an insult?
4. What did Paine say made actions right or wrong with Burke's flawed line of thinking?
(c) The future.
(d) The past.
5. Compared to previous Revolutions, what did Paine think future Revolutions would be like?
(a) More expensive.
(c) Less expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Paine think the English people viewed the French Revolution?
2. After apologizing for the miscellany in the Miscellaneous Chapter, how did Paine describe Burke's book?
3. What type of kindness did Paine think the English government had towards the French government?
4. What were the new principles of government that Paine wrote about in Of the Old and New Systems of Government?
5. According to Paine in Of the Old and New Systems of Government, what was the American Presidency originally built on?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)