|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part the Second, Combining Principle of Practice, Preface and Introduction, Chapter 1, Of Society and Civilization, Chapter 2, Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments, Chapter 3, Of the Old and New Systems of Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which French causes did Paine think were also representative of the entire world?
(a) Liberty and freedom of religion.
(b) Liberty, equality, and commerce.
(c) Liberty and equality.
(d) Equality and commerce.
2. What did Paine think should be used to justify laws?
(a) Future examples.
(c) Previous examples.
3. Why did Paine choose to write a Miscellaneous Chapter of miscellaneous thoughts?
(a) To preserve the flow of previous parts of the book.
(b) To guide the previous parts of the book.
(c) To act as a reference for previous parts of the book.
(d) To include things he had observed after writing previous parts of the book.
4. Referencing the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Of Citizens, by the National Assembly of France, what did Paine state was the purpose of government?
(a) To decide which rights are natural and inalienable.
(b) To provide funds for those that are lacking.
(c) To protect and promote natural, inalienable human rights.
(d) To ensure that no citizen earns more than a decided amount.
5. Because of the American and French Revolutions, what was being undermined about the old governments in Paine's opinion?
Short Answer Questions
1. In concluding Of the Old and New Systems of Government, what did Paine state was the basis for free governments?
2. Which articles of Observations on the Declarations of Rights outlined the principles on which the laws of France should be built?
3. How did Paine think the English people viewed the French Revolution?
4. Which rights did Paine include as ones that the government should guarantee from the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Of Citizens, by the National Assembly of France?
5. What did Paine say made actions right or wrong with Burke's flawed line of thinking?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)