|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Of Constitutions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the burning and devastation of London take place that Paine referred to in his attempt to disprove Burke's opinion of the French people?
2. Because of the American and French Revolutions, what was being undermined about the old governments in Paine's opinion?
3. What distinction did Paine make in the Preface?
(a) Between the state and the nation.
(b) Between the state and the religion.
(c) Between the nation and the government.
(d) Between the state, the nation and the government.
4. How many nations did Paine believe had the right to establish constitutions?
(a) Most of them.
(b) All of them.
(c) Only a few of them.
(d) Several of them.
5. What did Paine think the English's reliance on law by precedence led to?
(a) Ignorance of the law.
(b) Confusion of the law.
(c) Distrust of the law.
(d) Abolishment of the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following was not included in Paine's description of how America was prospering in Of Society and Civilization?
2. How did Paine depict his feelings in the Preface about the way readers of his work were being punished in some countries?
3. How did Paine describe the monarchical government that the American Constitution avoided in Of Constitutions?
4. What did Paine think should be used to justify laws?
5. Why did Paine think that America was the only place in the world where Independence could be tried?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)