|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part the Second, Combining Principle of Practice, Preface and Introduction, Chapter 1, Of Society and Civilization, Chapter 2, Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments, Chapter 3, Of the Old and New Systems of Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which century was Thomas Paine known for being one of the great political thinkers?
(a) Twentieth century.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) Eighteenth century.
(d) Seventeenth century
2. In Paine's opinion, what did Burke's position on England's past laws justify?
3. As explained by Paine in the Conclusion of Part One, which two forces was mankind influenced by?
(a) Curiosity and ignorance.
(b) Reason and ignorance.
(c) Curiosity and knowledge.
(d) Reason and knowledge.
4. As Paine wrote in Rights of Man, what must each generation set for themselves to avoid being servants of the past?
5. In Paine's opinion, when did a society need government even less?
(a) When it had good moral character.
(b) When it had an established trade agreement.
(c) When it had vast resources.
(d) When it had an effective military.
Short Answer Questions
1. Building on the foundation of Part One, in what style was Part Two of Rights of Man written?
2. How did Paine categorize Burke's speech to the English Parliament?
3. How did Paine describe human authority while correcting Burke's misrepresentation of the Declaration of the Rights of Man?
4. What was Paine's opinion of Burke's new work when he wrote Part Two of Rights of Man?
5. As Paine wrote in Part Two of Rights of Man, what did the American Revolution put into practice for the first time?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)