|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part the Second, Combining Principle of Practice, Preface and Introduction, Chapter 1, Of Society and Civilization, Chapter 2, Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments, Chapter 3, Of the Old and New Systems of Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paine think should be used to justify laws?
(b) Future examples.
(d) Previous examples.
2. To begin the Preface, what was Paine's response to Burke's lack of support for the French Revolution?
3. How did Paine think the English people viewed the French Revolution?
(a) They supported only certain aspects of it.
(b) They did not support it.
(c) He did not comment on their view.
(d) They supported it.
4. In the beginning of Rights of Man, how did Paine describe Burke's pamphlet?
(a) Lies, bigotry, and hatred.
(b) Lies, bigotry, and exaggerations.
(c) Exaggerations, bigotry, and hatred.
(d) Lies, exaggerations, and hatred.
5. How many prefaces did the first part of Rights of Man have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What crucial point did Paine make about power in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
2. Depicting the flaw in Burke's way of thinking, what did Paine indicate was being ignored by Burke?
3. In order to prove the senselessness of Burke's position on the monarchy, what did Paine maintain could not be done to individual rights?
4. Why did Paine think that America was the only place in the world where Independence could be tried?
5. Which one of the Founding Fathers was intended to receive Marquis de la Fayette's declaration of rights?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)