|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part the Second, Combining Principle of Practice, Preface and Introduction, Chapter 1, Of Society and Civilization, Chapter 2, Of the Origin of the Present Old Governments, Chapter 3, Of the Old and New Systems of Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paine think Burke had drastically underestimated by calling the French Revolution a violent revolt?
(a) The level of tryrrany in France.
(b) The previous wars of France.
(c) The previous wars of England.
(d) The level of tyrrany in England.
2. What did Paine think should be used to justify laws?
(a) Previous examples.
(d) Future examples.
3. Referencing the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Of Citizens, by the National Assembly of France, what did Paine state was the purpose of government?
(a) To decide which rights are natural and inalienable.
(b) To provide funds for those that are lacking.
(c) To ensure that no citizen earns more than a decided amount.
(d) To protect and promote natural, inalienable human rights.
4. According to Paine in the Miscellaneous Chapter, what did tyranny in the English government cause?
(a) Political, economic and international instability.
(b) Economic and international instability.
(c) Political and economic instability.
(d) Political instability.
5. In Paine's opinion, when did a society need government even less?
(a) When it had vast resources.
(b) When it had an effective military.
(c) When it had good moral character.
(d) When it had an established trade agreement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term that Burke used to label the French people did Paine consider to be an insult?
2. As Paine wrote in Part Two of Rights of Man, what did the American Revolution put into practice for the first time?
3. Which word did Paine use to describe the monarchy in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
4. What crucial point did Paine make about power in the Miscellaneous Chapter?
5. How much of Burke's new work did Paine intend to discuss in Part Two of Rights of Man?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)