|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Deke Slayton is promoted within NASA. What is Deke Slayton's new title?
2. Why does Deke Slayton officially retire from the Air Force one year short of being eligible for his 20-year pension
3. When the men return from their trip to the White House, what question is on the mind of each of their wives?
4. What is the new moon program called?
5. As a result of these problems, what does Cooper have to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irks the Original Seven wives about the Next Nine wives?
2. Why does the next group of astronauts selected contain fourteen trainees instead of the intended eleven trainees?
3. What is the general assumption regarding why the capsule's hatch blew before the helicopter hooks on?
4. Why do neither John Glenn nor his wife, Annie, foresee the excitement that John's flight will cause?
5. The evening before the second Mercury flight, Joe Walker runs into Gus Grissom. Walker tries to get Grissom's goat by insisting that the X-15 program will soon pass the Mercury program and that he and the other Edwards pilots are the "real" pilots. Why do these remarks not bother Grissom at all?
6. What is the effect on Shepard of having so many pre-flight simulations?
7. What worries the astronauts the most about Project Mercury potentially losing funding?
8. The wives had barely started getting settled into their new homes in Houston when something extraordinary starts happening. What is it?
9. When Bob Gilruth calls the astronauts together for an emergency meeting just before Christmas, what is the purpose of the meeting?
10. Why does Grissom's suit not keep him buoyant when he is awaiting rescue in the ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the early days of the space program, while the Americans were blowing up more rockets than they were successfully launching, an international conference was held that was attended by both the Soviets and the Americans.
a. What did the United States learn as a result of attending the conference?
b. What fears were assuaged for the United States by the international conference?
c. Had the Cold War not been ongoing, could the United States and Russian programs worked together to enhance both programs? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At various times during the lifespan of Project Mercury, there are opposing interests as to the policies and priorities of NASA and the astronauts. Describe the struggle for leadership between the following men.
a. John Kennedy and James Webb?
b. John Glenn and John Kennedy?
c. James Webb and John Glenn?
Essay Topic 3
When Glenn finally goes up, his flight is remarkably different from Shepard's flight, as is the resulting celebration upon Glenn's safe return.
a. List three perks Shepard received after his first flight.
b. List three perks Glenn received after his first flight.
c. How does the success of Glenn's flight change their relationship?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)