|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the scheduled backup astronaut for the first manned orbital flight?
2. How many orbits does Cooper complete?
3. What is President Kennedy obsessed with?
4. As she waits for her husband to be launched into space, what is Louise Shepard doing?
5. Which of the astronauts place a sign inside the capsule reading "No handball playing in this area" to help keep Shepard relaxed and loose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect on Shepard of having so many pre-flight simulations?
2. Why does Webb declare Cooper's flight to be the last of the Mercury program?
3. Why is there a certain danger in scrapping the Redstone rocket in favor of the Atlas rockets?
4. Why are the American politicians and reporters alarmed by the Russian's flight?
5. Why does the next group of astronauts selected contain fourteen trainees instead of the intended eleven trainees?
6. What does Grissom say to the second group of astronauts to keep them in their place?
7. The seven original Mercury astronauts receive the Iven C. Kincheloe Award for outstanding professional performance in the conduct of test flight from the Society for Experimental Test Pilots. What does receiving this award mean to the astronauts?
8. During an international space conference attended by the Russians to publicize their successes in space, what reassuring fact does the United States learn?
9. What does Shepard see as the main differences between the actual flight and the centrifuge's simulated flights?
10. Why is Betty Grissom so upset at the treatment of Gus after his flight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When we are first introduced to the pilots at Muroc Army Air Base, we meet a cocky group of young pilots that daily face danger and possible death from just doing their jobs.
a. List the dangers the pilots faced daily when conducting their test flights.
b. List off-duty dangers that resulted from their cocky and larger-than-life egos.
Essay Topic 2
Once the astronauts were selected for Project Mercury, they were no longer military fighter pilots. They became sought-after public figures and national heroes.
a. How did this change their behavior patterns, if at all?
b. What impact did this change have on their families, if any?
Essay Topic 3
When Project Mercury first began, the pilots were flying to Cape Canaveral for their training sessions. Later, as Project Mercury outgrew Cape Canaveral, the program was moved to Houston. Compare and contrast the astronauts' lifestyles in Cape Canaveral and Houston.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)