|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gus afraid of as he tries to swim to the helicopter's horse collar?
(b) The helicopter crashing.
(c) Blacking out.
2. On John Glenn's 40th birthday, who comes to Glenn's birthday dinner?
(a) John and Jackie Kennedy.
(b) Gus and Betty Grissom.
(c) Lyndon and Ladybird Johnson.
(d) Alan and Louise Shepard.
3. Why do the astronauts move to Houston?
(a) Cape Canaveral is no longer big enough for their program.
(b) Houston has better weather.
(c) NASA is building a Manned Spacecraft Center.
(d) Houston provides better launch windows.
4. What is the name of the first Russian cosmonaut?
(a) Yuri Gagarin.
(b) Alexei Leonov.
(c) Gherman Titov.
(d) Sergei Korolyov.
5. What is Cape Canaveral's new function?
(a) It is the new training facility.
(b) It is the launching center.
(c) It is the new medical testing center.
(d) It is the unmanned space center.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plane is being developed for the ARPS?
2. On the space flight, what becomes a major issue for the astronaut?
3. Who is a part of the "new breed" of Air Force pilots?
4. Why does the Air Force bring Chuck Yeager back to Edwards?
5. What do the pilots at Edwards finally expect the public to realize based on the chimpanzee's successful flight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes an immutable part of the flight day drill for the astronaut's wife?
2. Why does NASA select the primary pilot and two backups with a few weeks to go before the launch instead of selecting the primary pilot the day before the launch as is originally planned?
3. In Chapter 15, what does John Glenn argue with James Webb about?
4. Why do neither John Glenn nor his wife, Annie, foresee the excitement that John's flight will cause?
5. When NASA grounds Deke Slayton, the press refers to him as being "keenly disappointed." How is Slayton actually feeling?
6. The seven original Mercury astronauts receive the Iven C. Kincheloe Award for outstanding professional performance in the conduct of test flight from the Society for Experimental Test Pilots. What does receiving this award mean to the astronauts?
7. Why does the next group of astronauts selected contain fourteen trainees instead of the intended eleven trainees?
8. When urination had been a problem in the procedures trainer, what had some of the astronauts done out of necessity and what are the dangers involved in a real-world situation?
9. What worries the astronauts the most about Project Mercury potentially losing funding?
10. The wives had barely started getting settled into their new homes in Houston when something extraordinary starts happening. What is it?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)