|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which chimpanzee is chosen to go into space?
(a) Number 61.
(b) Number 7.
(c) Number 1.
(d) Number 42.
2. How many orbits does Cooper complete?
3. How many days before the planned Mercury launch do the Russians put a man into space?
4. In the wake of the successful Mercury flight, even Shorty Powers becomes famous. Who is Shorty Powers?
(a) The head engineer.
(b) The head of NASA.
(c) The Life magazine reporter.
(d) The voice of Mercury control.
5. Shepard is strapped so tightly into the capsule that he can't feel the weightlessness he knows he is experiencing. What item floats in front of him in the capsule?
(a) A replacement battery.
(b) A washer.
(c) A rivet.
(d) An oxygen hose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the astronauts place a sign inside the capsule reading "No handball playing in this area" to help keep Shepard relaxed and loose?
2. What is the new moon program called?
3. When Cooper is in the capsule awaiting launch, all of his objective readings indicate that Cooper has done something no previous astronaut has done. What does Cooper do?
4. In Chapter 14, Deke Slayton is promoted within NASA. What is Deke Slayton's new title?
5. Which two astronauts are selected to be the backup astronauts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general assumption regarding why the capsule's hatch blew before the helicopter hooks on?
2. What irks the Original Seven wives about the Next Nine wives?
3. What reaction does the American public have to the chimpanzee's flight?
4. When NASA grounds Deke Slayton, the press refers to him as being "keenly disappointed." How is Slayton actually feeling?
5. When urination had been a problem in the procedures trainer, what had some of the astronauts done out of necessity and what are the dangers involved in a real-world situation?
6. Why do neither John Glenn nor his wife, Annie, foresee the excitement that John's flight will cause?
7. Why is Betty Grissom so upset at the treatment of Gus after his flight?
8. Why does the next group of astronauts selected contain fourteen trainees instead of the intended eleven trainees?
9. The wives had barely started getting settled into their new homes in Houston when something extraordinary starts happening. What is it?
10. The seven original Mercury astronauts receive the Iven C. Kincheloe Award for outstanding professional performance in the conduct of test flight from the Society for Experimental Test Pilots. What does receiving this award mean to the astronauts?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)