|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Slayton refer to NASA's decision in statements to the press?
(a) As an operational decision.
(b) As a huge mistake.
(c) As an understandable decision.
(d) As the right thing to do.
2. On what day does Shepard's Mercury capsule launch?
(a) May 25.
(b) May 5.
(c) May 12.
(d) May 10.
3. How long is the launch delayed?
(a) Seventeen hours.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Forty minutes.
(d) Four hours.
4. On the space flight, what becomes a major issue for the astronaut?
(a) Fly-by-wire operations.
(b) Low fuel levels.
(c) Loose heat shields.
(d) Too many experiments.
5. How many pilots are selected to comprise the second group of astronauts for the new moon program?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the astronauts move to Houston?
2. What is the AWC?
3. Why are the Edward's pilots miffed by NASA's treatment of Grissom after the mistake in the capsule?
4. How does the author both begin and end the Epilogue?
5. What is the concern that controllers have when preparing to bring Glenn back in through the atmosphere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grissom's suit not keep him buoyant when he is awaiting rescue in the ocean?
2. What irks the Original Seven wives about the Next Nine wives?
3. Why are the American politicians and reporters alarmed by the Russian's flight?
4. Why does the next group of astronauts selected contain fourteen trainees instead of the intended eleven trainees?
5. During the delay before the launch, Shepard found his biggest issue to be his need to use the restroom. However, no device for urination was designed into the capsule. Why not?
6. When NASA grounds Deke Slayton, the press refers to him as being "keenly disappointed." How is Slayton actually feeling?
7. The seven original Mercury astronauts receive the Iven C. Kincheloe Award for outstanding professional performance in the conduct of test flight from the Society for Experimental Test Pilots. What does receiving this award mean to the astronauts?
8. When urination had been a problem in the procedures trainer, what had some of the astronauts done out of necessity and what are the dangers involved in a real-world situation?
9. What is the effect on Shepard of having so many pre-flight simulations?
10. What does Grissom say to the second group of astronauts to keep them in their place?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)