|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the pilots at Edwards finally expect the public to realize based on the chimpanzee's successful flight?
(a) That any trained animal can pilot the capsule and that the pilots at Edwards are the real pilots.
(b) That the dream of space travel is finally a reality.
(c) That the ape is being considered for a medal of courage.
(d) That only a real, trained pilot is capable of flying the Mercury capsule.
2. When accompanying Glenn on his travels, what does Pete Conrad find himself doing?
(a) Driving Glenn's car.
(b) Answering Glenn's fan mail.
(c) Carrying Glenn's luggage.
(d) Helping Glenn prepare for his next flight.
3. How long is the second Russian cosmonaut in space for?
(a) 4 hours .
(b) 10 hours.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 1 day.
4. The launch was originally scheduled for May 2nd, but has to be delayed. What delays the launch?
(a) Rocket problems.
(b) Communication problems.
(c) Weather problems.
(d) Fuel problems.
5. How long is Cooper's flight?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 48 hours.
(c) 34 hours.
(d) 18 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shepard see the Earth through the periscope in black and white?
2. In the wake of the successful Mercury flight, even Shorty Powers becomes famous. Who is Shorty Powers?
3. The first "manned" space flight by Russia does not have a man aboard. What living thing do the Russians send into space?
4. What is the concern that controllers have when preparing to bring Glenn back in through the atmosphere?
5. What plane is being developed for the ARPS?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the next group of astronauts selected contain fourteen trainees instead of the intended eleven trainees?
2. Why are the American politicians and reporters alarmed by the Russian's flight?
3. What is the general assumption regarding why the capsule's hatch blew before the helicopter hooks on?
4. What does Shepard see as the main differences between the actual flight and the centrifuge's simulated flights?
5. The evening before the second Mercury flight, Joe Walker runs into Gus Grissom. Walker tries to get Grissom's goat by insisting that the X-15 program will soon pass the Mercury program and that he and the other Edwards pilots are the "real" pilots. Why do these remarks not bother Grissom at all?
6. In Chapter 15, what does John Glenn argue with James Webb about?
7. What worries the astronauts the most about Project Mercury potentially losing funding?
8. Why is Betty Grissom so upset at the treatment of Gus after his flight?
9. The Air Force has grand plans of their own for a space program. What do their plans include?
10. Why does Webb declare Cooper's flight to be the last of the Mercury program?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)