|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the second Russian cosmonaut in space for?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 10 hours.
(c) 4 hours .
(d) 1 day.
2. What is given to Shepard by President Kennedy?
(a) The Distinguished Service Medal.
(b) The Purple Heart.
(c) The Medal of Honor.
(d) The Ace Award.
3. Who is a part of the "new breed" of Air Force pilots?
(a) Chuck Yeager.
(b) Joe Walker.
(c) Neil Armstrong.
(d) James Webb.
4. Which chimpanzee is chosen to go into space?
(a) Number 61.
(b) Number 7.
(c) Number 42.
(d) Number 1.
5. How many pilots are selected to comprise the second group of astronauts for the new moon program?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Deke Slayton is promoted within NASA. What is Deke Slayton's new title?
2. What is the pervading feeling as the launch approaches?
3. At the end of the book, what major political change occurs?
4. Which one of the astronauts is selected for the first Mercury flight?
5. How far away from the intended splash zone does the capsule land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shepard see as the main differences between the actual flight and the centrifuge's simulated flights?
2. Why does NASA select the primary pilot and two backups with a few weeks to go before the launch instead of selecting the primary pilot the day before the launch as is originally planned?
3. Why does Walter Cronkite tell the American people that he is afraid that we may have lost an astronaut?
4. Why is Betty Grissom so upset at the treatment of Gus after his flight?
5. What does Grissom say to the second group of astronauts to keep them in their place?
6. Why does Grissom's suit not keep him buoyant when he is awaiting rescue in the ocean?
7. Why are the American politicians and reporters alarmed by the Russian's flight?
8. Why does Webb declare Cooper's flight to be the last of the Mercury program?
9. What irks the Original Seven wives about the Next Nine wives?
10. What becomes an immutable part of the flight day drill for the astronaut's wife?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)