|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the inscription found on the blackboard in the Astronaut Office?
(a) The turtle always beats the hare.
(b) Live free or die trying.
(c) What goes around comes around.
(d) The sports car is a symptom of male menopause.
2. Why do fighter pilots have an intense dislike for flight surgeons?
(a) They don't have good insurance.
(b) They hate needles.
(c) They don't want to be grounded for medical reasons.
(d) They would rather be flying than in a waiting room.
3. Which of the astronauts rises early each morning to do his roadwork where everyone can see him?
(a) Deke Slayton.
(b) Gus Grissom.
(c) Wally Schirra.
(d) John Glenn.
4. What is the subject of the first press conference question?
(a) The reactions of the astronauts' wives and children.
(b) Their fears of space travel.
(c) The astronauts' previous flying experience.
(d) Background information on where each of the astronauts grew up.
5. What is the top speed attained during the October 14th flight?
(a) Mach 1.05.
(b) Mach 1.10.
(c) Mach 0.96.
(d) Mach 0.80.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of testing at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base?
2. Which of the astronauts' wives has been previously divorced--a matter of public record that is not reported in the Life article?
3. How many kills does Yeager have by the end of World War II?
4. How does Ted Whelan die?
5. Who is the only Marine in the group of seven astronauts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the book titled "The Right Stuff"?
2. Why do so many fighter pilots accept the Mercury mission?
3. Name three tests conducted at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base on the pilots.
4. Why don't the wives ever discuss the dangers their husbands face each day?
5. Why do many pilots choose to try to pilot a wounded aircraft to the ground rather than eject?
6. Why do the astronauts not refer to themselves or the other astronauts as "astronauts"?
7. The training program for the chimpanzees is based on operant conditioning. Describe what that means for the chimpanzees.
8. In detailing the experiences of the astronauts, the author states that "everywhere they went in their travels people stopped what they were doing and gave them a certain look of awe and sympathy." Awe is easily understood. Why do they look at them with sympathy?
9. What is the begrudging consensus finally reached from the Konakai Séance regarding their "off hours" behavior?
10. Jane Conrad sees a real man going to her front door and realizes it wasn't one of her hallucinations. Who is the man and why is he there?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)