|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is housed at the Holloman Air Force Base?
(a) The rocket launchers.
(b) The psychologists' new testing facility.
(c) The chimpanzee colony.
(d) The mission control center.
2. What is the most difficult routine in military flying?
(a) Carrier landings.
(b) Instrument-only flying.
(c) All-weather flying.
(d) Formation flying.
3. When Gus Grissom's wife gives birth to their first child, where is Gus?
(a) On base, completing his flight training.
(b) On a top-secret mission.
(c) In the delivery room.
(d) Fighting overseas in Korea.
4. How many fighter jocks volunteer for the top-secret civilian program?
5. While not logging any flying time comes to bother all seven of the astronauts, which is the astronaut who finally voices their complaint?
(a) Gus Grissom.
(b) Gordon Cooper.
(c) Wally Schirra.
(d) John Glenn.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked by a reporter how many of the astronauts expect to return from space, how many of them raise their hands?
2. Why is Pete Conrad transferred to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland?
3. Who is Bob White?
4. Muroc Army Air Base is renamed in 1948. What is its new name?
5. When a pilot is in the air and looking down at the ground, what does he most often feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In detailing the experiences of the astronauts, the author states that "everywhere they went in their travels people stopped what they were doing and gave them a certain look of awe and sympathy." Awe is easily understood. Why do they look at them with sympathy?
2. Why do many pilots choose to try to pilot a wounded aircraft to the ground rather than eject?
3. In 1952 at Edwards Air Force Base, 62 Air Force pilots died in the course of a 36-week training session. In 11 weeks of combat training at Nellis Air Force Base, 22 pilot trainees were killed. In Pete Conrad's own class in Florida, 10 out of 20 had been killed. In the opinion of the pilots, these rates of death are considered "extraordinary," yet they really are not. Why?
4. Why does Gus Grissom find the selection of Scott Carpenter as an astronaut odd?
5. Contrast flight training with astronaut training.
6. Describe Jane Conrad's nightmares and hallucinations?
7. Why does Gus Grissom feel that the reporter's question regarding whether or not the pilots feel they would come back from space is a stupid question?
8. Describe what the chapter's title of "On the Balcony" refers to.
9. Name two reasons that fighter pilots hate to declare an emergency.
10. Why do the pilots come to hate Lovelace?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)