|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many test pilots are in the original group in Jacksonville?
2. In what year does the story begin?
3. When Jane Conrad realizes the cavalier manner in which the pilots discuss their killed comrades, what does she liken their discussion to?
4. The first flight into space will turn one of the seven astronauts into what?
(a) The one most often compared to a monkey.
(b) The true brother at the top of the pyramid.
(c) The first pilot named to NASA's Board of Directors.
(d) The first death in the group.
5. Who does NASA hire to be the astronauts' press representative?
(a) Leo DeOrsey.
(b) John Mortey.
(c) Alfred Godfrey.
(d) Betty Grissom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the unofficial tradition at Cape Canaveral?
2. When a pilot is in the air and looking down at the ground, what does he most often feel?
3. The pilots hold Konakai seances. What is Konakai?
4. Who is Bob White?
5. What is the nightmare that Jane Conrad has repeatedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the procedures trainer?
2. Where is Muroc Field and what is is the significance of the project taking place there?
3. In 1952 at Edwards Air Force Base, 62 Air Force pilots died in the course of a 36-week training session. In 11 weeks of combat training at Nellis Air Force Base, 22 pilot trainees were killed. In Pete Conrad's own class in Florida, 10 out of 20 had been killed. In the opinion of the pilots, these rates of death are considered "extraordinary," yet they really are not. Why?
4. Jane Conrad sees a real man going to her front door and realizes it wasn't one of her hallucinations. Who is the man and why is he there?
5. What does Chuck Yeager become convinced of as he pilots the X-1 at near-Mach I speeds?
6. Why do the pilots come to hate Lovelace?
7. Describe Jane Conrad's nightmares and hallucinations?
8. Why do the astronauts not refer to themselves or the other astronauts as "astronauts"?
9. The morning after the press conference, the newspapers are full of stories about the astronauts. What do the stories highlight?
10. What is the begrudging consensus finally reached from the Konakai Séance regarding their "off hours" behavior?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)