|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first flight into space will turn one of the seven astronauts into what?
(a) The true brother at the top of the pyramid.
(b) The first pilot named to NASA's Board of Directors.
(c) The first death in the group.
(d) The one most often compared to a monkey.
2. While NASA is introducing and promoting Project Mercury, what is the Air Force trying to promote?
(a) Chuck Yeager's breaking of the sound barrier.
(b) The superior hand-to-hand fighting skills of the pilots.
(c) Their new recruiting practices.
(d) The high number of kills in the Korean conflict.
3. How are wives notified if their husband is injured or killed during a test flight?
(a) There is no official procedure for notifying the family of death.
(b) The Navy sends a man with official or moral authority to the house.
(c) The Navy sends an official letter to the wife.
(d) Another one of the wives goes to the house to break the news.
4. In every flight class, what ratio of new trainees do not earn their wings?
(a) 2 in 4.
(b) 7 in 9.
(c) 3 in 5.
(d) 1 in 3.
5. When Gus Grissom's wife gives birth to their first child, where is Gus?
(a) On base, completing his flight training.
(b) In the delivery room.
(c) Fighting overseas in Korea.
(d) On a top-secret mission.
Short Answer Questions
1. Muroc Army Air Base is renamed in 1948. What is its new name?
2. Why do the astronauts spend so much time in the procedures trainer?
3. Who is the biggest practical joker among the volunteers?
4. Which of the astronauts had separated from his wife, but reconciles with her after the psychological interviews at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base because he thinks it will improve his chances for astronaut selection?
5. When Chuck Yeager is interviewed by reporters in Phoenix, what do the reporters want to know about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1952 at Edwards Air Force Base, 62 Air Force pilots died in the course of a 36-week training session. In 11 weeks of combat training at Nellis Air Force Base, 22 pilot trainees were killed. In Pete Conrad's own class in Florida, 10 out of 20 had been killed. In the opinion of the pilots, these rates of death are considered "extraordinary," yet they really are not. Why?
2. Jane Conrad sees a real man going to her front door and realizes it wasn't one of her hallucinations. Who is the man and why is he there?
3. What is written in Conrad's file as a reason he isn't selected for the Mercury program?
4. The morning after the press conference, the newspapers are full of stories about the astronauts. What do the stories highlight?
5. Why does Gus Grissom feel that the reporter's question regarding whether or not the pilots feel they would come back from space is a stupid question?
6. The training program for the chimpanzees is based on operant conditioning. Describe what that means for the chimpanzees.
7. What are John Glenn and Alan Shepard in serious disagreement about?
8. Why don't the wives ever discuss the dangers their husbands face each day?
9. What does Chuck Yeager become convinced of as he pilots the X-1 at near-Mach I speeds?
10. Describe Jane Conrad's nightmares and hallucinations?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)