|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Muroc Army Air Base is renamed in 1948. What is its new name?
(a) George Air Force Base.
(b) Edwards Air Force Base.
(c) Cape Canaveral.
(d) Kennedy Army Air Base.
2. The pilots hold Konakai seances. What is Konakai?
(a) The bar the pilots gathered at after work.
(b) A Japanese warrior tradition.
(c) A hotel near Cape Canaveral.
(d) The title of one of Glenn's philosophical books.
3. Why is Pete Conrad transferred to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland?
(a) Because he requested a post involving less danger.
(b) Because he is entering the Navy's test-pilot school.
(c) Because he has to prepare for combat missions in Korea.
(d) Because he is promoted to Lieutenant.
4. What does every fighter jock also think of himself as?
(a) An indestructible force.
(b) A being just beneath God.
(c) A ladies' man.
(d) An ace driver.
5. From the original volunteers for the program, how many are finally accepted as astronauts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the astronauts' wives has been previously divorced--a matter of public record that is not reported in the Life article?
2. When do the pilots wear their bridge coats?
3. Who does NASA hire to be the astronauts' press representative?
4. When Gus Grissom's wife gives birth to their first child, where is Gus?
5. What do the Project Mercury engineers think will be an easy task?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John Glenn and Alan Shepard in serious disagreement about?
2. Name two reasons that fighter pilots hate to declare an emergency.
3. Why does Gus Grissom find the selection of Scott Carpenter as an astronaut odd?
4. What is the goal of the pilots in Project Mercury, which is the same goal in every new and important flight project?
5. Why do so many fighter pilots accept the Mercury mission?
6. What does Chuck Yeager become convinced of as he pilots the X-1 at near-Mach I speeds?
7. NASA originally needs six astronauts for the Mercury program, but is going to take twelve astronauts. Why?
8. Why do Chuck Yeager's comments in Phoenix almost set off a national scandal? What happens to avoid the scandal?
9. Describe what the chapter's title of "On the Balcony" refers to.
10. Why do the pilots come to hate Lovelace?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)