|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the wives calling each other at the beginning of the story?
(a) They are angry over a new testing policy for the pilots.
(b) They are trying to figure out who's husband was killed.
(c) They are sharing news of a new baby.
(d) They are planning a surprise party for the pilots.
2. Why do fighter pilots have an intense dislike for flight surgeons?
(a) They would rather be flying than in a waiting room.
(b) They hate needles.
(c) They don't have good insurance.
(d) They don't want to be grounded for medical reasons.
3. Muroc Army Air Base is renamed in 1948. What is its new name?
(a) Edwards Air Force Base.
(b) Cape Canaveral.
(c) George Air Force Base.
(d) Kennedy Army Air Base.
4. Why is Gus Grissom uncomfortable during the press conference?
(a) He is camera shy.
(b) He doesn't like people.
(c) He hates telling total strangers how he feels.
(d) He hates being misquoted in the newspapers.
5. When Gus Grissom's wife gives birth to their first child, where is Gus?
(a) On a top-secret mission.
(b) Fighting overseas in Korea.
(c) On base, completing his flight training.
(d) In the delivery room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is housed at the Holloman Air Force Base?
2. While NASA is introducing and promoting Project Mercury, what is the Air Force trying to promote?
3. In every flight class, what ratio of new trainees do not earn their wings?
4. When a pilot is in the air and looking down at the ground, what does he most often feel?
5. What is the unofficial tradition at Cape Canaveral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the chapter's title of "On the Balcony" refers to.
2. Why do many pilots choose to try to pilot a wounded aircraft to the ground rather than eject?
3. The engineers tend to feel that the glorification of the astronauts has really gotten out of control. Why do they feel that way?
4. Why does the Army fire Slick Goodlin and give the X-1 piloting assignment to Yeager?
5. What is written in Conrad's file as a reason he isn't selected for the Mercury program?
6. NASA originally needs six astronauts for the Mercury program, but is going to take twelve astronauts. Why?
7. Why does Gus Grissom feel that the reporter's question regarding whether or not the pilots feel they would come back from space is a stupid question?
8. Jane Conrad sees a real man going to her front door and realizes it wasn't one of her hallucinations. Who is the man and why is he there?
9. What does Chuck Yeager become convinced of as he pilots the X-1 at near-Mach I speeds?
10. What are John Glenn and Alan Shepard in serious disagreement about?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)