|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the AWC?
(a) Astronaut Waiting Club.
(b) All Weather Club.
(c) Astronaut Wives Club.
(d) Amazing Women Club.
2. Which astronaut is named to fly in the second Mercury capsule?
(a) Wally Schirra.
(b) Gus Grissom.
(c) Deke Slayton.
(d) John Glenn.
3. As a result of these problems, what does Cooper have to do?
(a) Manually line up the capsule for re-entry.
(b) Fly on battery power.
(c) Deploy the parachute.
(d) Remap the splash zone.
4. Which astronaut takes Slayton's place for the next flight?
(a) Scott Carpenter.
(b) Wally Schirra.
(c) Gordon Cooper.
(d) Alan Shepard.
5. John Glenn's flight and his taking on "the mighty Soviet Integral" causes comparisons with what Biblical story?
(a) David and Goliath.
(b) Sodom and Gomorrah.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Samson and Delilah.
6. How does the author both begin and end the Epilogue?
(a) Every race has a beginning, a middle, and an end.
(b) To dream at all is to dream big.
(c) To everything there is a season.
(d) The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.
7. Why is Deke Slayton grounded?
(a) Failing eyesight.
(b) A minor heart defect.
(c) Attitude problems.
(d) Poor hearing.
8. What is the concern that controllers have when preparing to bring Glenn back in through the atmosphere?
(a) That the heat shields are loose.
(b) That the capsule will overshoot the planned splash zone.
(c) That the parachute will not deploy.
(d) That the blood pressure monitor is malfunctioning.
9. Which astronaut is scheduled for the next space flight?
(a) Deke Slayton.
(b) John Glenn.
(c) Alan Shepard.
(d) Gus Grissom.
10. Why is Alan Shepard grounded?
(a) He fails a drug test.
(b) He experiences heart palpitations.
(c) He falls short of the required flight qualification hours.
(d) He experiences inner ear problems.
11. As part of the Air Force's astronaut training program, what do the astronaut trainees attend in Washington?
(a) Political classes.
(b) Operations training.
(c) Flight school.
(d) Charm school.
12. Which chimpanzee is chosen to go into space?
(a) Number 7.
(b) Number 1.
(c) Number 61.
(d) Number 42.
13. Why does Joe Walker decide not to apply for the astronaut-training program?
(a) He likes being an instructor.
(b) He is medically grounded.
(c) He is afraid of being turned down.
(d) He is 42.
14. What do the pilots at Edwards finally expect the public to realize based on the chimpanzee's successful flight?
(a) That only a real, trained pilot is capable of flying the Mercury capsule.
(b) That any trained animal can pilot the capsule and that the pilots at Edwards are the real pilots.
(c) That the ape is being considered for a medal of courage.
(d) That the dream of space travel is finally a reality.
15. As he sits in the capsule waiting to be launched into space, what is Shepard most afraid of?
(a) Urinating in his pressurized suit.
(b) Being crushed by the g forces.
(c) Blowing up on the launch pad.
(d) Screwing something up.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Shepard's Mercury capsule launch?
2. What happens when the second Mercury flight splashes down?
3. What is given to Shepard by President Kennedy?
4. The launch was originally scheduled for May 2nd, but has to be delayed. What delays the launch?
5. What is Gus afraid of as he tries to swim to the helicopter's horse collar?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)