|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first "manned" space flight by Russia does not have a man aboard. What living thing do the Russians send into space?
(a) A chimpanzee.
(b) A dog.
(c) A hamster.
(d) A cat.
2. What is Gus afraid of as he tries to swim to the helicopter's horse collar?
(a) The helicopter crashing.
(d) Blacking out.
3. When the men return from their trip to the White House, what question is on the mind of each of their wives?
(a) What is Jackie like?
(b) What did the White House serve for dinner?
(c) Is President Kennedy as dreamy as he looks on television?
(d) How is the White House decorated?
4. When the chimpanzee's rocket is launched, the rocket climbs at a slight higher angle that it is supposed to climb. What is the result?
(a) The rocket self-corrects and re-establishes the proper climbing angle.
(b) The higher angles causes such an increase in g forces that the chimpanzee does not survive.
(c) The capsule splashes down 132 miles away from the intended splash area.
(d) The capsule experiences more friction than expected and burns up on re-entry.
5. How long is the second Russian cosmonaut in space for?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 4 hours .
(c) 3 days.
(d) 10 hours.
6. As he sits in the capsule waiting to be launched into space, what is Shepard most afraid of?
(a) Screwing something up.
(b) Urinating in his pressurized suit.
(c) Being crushed by the g forces.
(d) Blowing up on the launch pad.
7. As she waits for her husband to be launched into space, what is Louise Shepard doing?
(a) Being a proper hostess for the people gathered in her house to watch the launch.
(b) Giving an interview to the reporters from Life magazine.
(c) Hiding in her back bedroom in tears.
(d) Watching television like everyone else.
8. What is the new moon program called?
(a) Mercury 2.
(b) Project B.
9. Who is Bob Gilruth?
(a) The veterinarian brought in to dismantle the chimpanzee colony.
(b) The X-15 pilot who joined the astronauts for training.
(c) The head engineer of Project Mercury.
(d) The man in charge of Project Mercury.
10. What is Cape Canaveral's new function?
(a) It is the unmanned space center.
(b) It is the launching center.
(c) It is the new medical testing center.
(d) It is the new training facility.
11. Why does the unmanned flight receive very little public attention?
(a) The Beatles are making their first US tour.
(b) The public doesn't believe NASA can pull it off.
(c) The public is tired of test flights.
(d) The Russians beat the Americans to the punch again.
12. John Glenn's flight and his taking on "the mighty Soviet Integral" causes comparisons with what Biblical story?
(a) David and Goliath.
(b) Samson and Delilah.
(c) Sodom and Gomorrah.
(d) Cain and Abel.
13. Which astronaut is named to fly in the second Mercury capsule?
(a) Gus Grissom.
(b) Deke Slayton.
(c) Wally Schirra.
(d) John Glenn.
14. On what day does Shepard's Mercury capsule launch?
(a) May 12.
(b) May 25.
(c) May 10.
(d) May 5.
15. How many orbits does Cooper complete?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the astronauts arrive in Houston, they are told that there will be a "little" cocktail party for them. Where is the cocktail party held?
2. What happens in Washington at about the same time as Yeager is taxiing down the runway for his test flight?
3. Which chimpanzee is chosen to go into space?
4. Based on the magazine article that is run on Glenn, Grissom, and Shepard, what do these three become known as?
5. What is given to Shepard by President Kennedy?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)