|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gus want Betty to remember when she flies down to the Cape?
(a) His laundry.
(b) His favorite candy--Snickers.
(c) His dress whites.
(d) His flight uniform.
2. What kind of rocket launches the first Mercury capsule?
(a) Atlas rocket.
(b) Redstone rocket.
(c) Canaveral rocket.
(d) X-21 rocket.
3. What political action occurs between the Soviet's launch of their cosmonaut and the scheduled launch of Shepard?
(a) The Bay of Pigs.
(b) The X-16 disaster.
(c) The dismantling of Project Mercury.
(d) The assassination of President Kennedy.
4. Why does the unmanned flight receive very little public attention?
(a) The Beatles are making their first US tour.
(b) The public is tired of test flights.
(c) The Russians beat the Americans to the punch again.
(d) The public doesn't believe NASA can pull it off.
5. When the chimpanzee's rocket is launched, the rocket climbs at a slight higher angle that it is supposed to climb. What is the result?
(a) The capsule experiences more friction than expected and burns up on re-entry.
(b) The capsule splashes down 132 miles away from the intended splash area.
(c) The higher angles causes such an increase in g forces that the chimpanzee does not survive.
(d) The rocket self-corrects and re-establishes the proper climbing angle.
6. How long is the launch delayed?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Forty minutes.
(c) Seventeen hours.
(d) Four hours.
7. What is the new moon program called?
(a) Project B.
(d) Mercury 2.
8. Who is in charge of crew selection?
(a) James Webb.
(b) John Kennedy.
(c) Deke Slayton.
(d) John Glenn.
9. What is the pervading feeling as the launch approaches?
(a) This time it will work.
(b) The Russians already beat us. Why bother?
(c) We can do this.
(d) Our boys always botch it.
10. What is given to Shepard by President Kennedy?
(a) The Purple Heart.
(b) The Medal of Honor.
(c) The Ace Award.
(d) The Distinguished Service Medal.
11. When communicating with mission control, what does Glenn refer to his capsule as?
(a) Mercury 3.
(b) Atlas 1.
(c) Friendship 7.
(d) Test Flight 84.
12. John Glenn's flight and his taking on "the mighty Soviet Integral" causes comparisons with what Biblical story?
(a) Samson and Delilah.
(b) Cain and Abel.
(c) David and Goliath.
(d) Sodom and Gomorrah.
13. How does the author both begin and end the Epilogue?
(a) The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.
(b) To everything there is a season.
(c) Every race has a beginning, a middle, and an end.
(d) To dream at all is to dream big.
14. Towards the end of his flight, Cooper starts experiencing problems. What is causing these problems?
(a) The heat shields.
(b) The electrical system.
(c) The communications module.
(d) The stabilizers.
15. Why is Deke Slayton grounded?
(a) Failing eyesight.
(b) A minor heart defect.
(c) Attitude problems.
(d) Poor hearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two astronauts are selected to be the backup astronauts?
2. Based on the magazine article that is run on Glenn, Grissom, and Shepard, what do these three become known as?
3. How many days before the planned Mercury launch do the Russians put a man into space?
4. How long is Cooper's flight?
5. As a result of these problems, what does Cooper have to do?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)