|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Cape Canaveral and its surroundings remind the pilots of?
(a) Muroc Army Air Base.
(b) Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
(c) Langley Air Force Base.
(d) Patrick Air Force Base.
2. From the original volunteers for the program, how many are finally accepted as astronauts?
3. What is the one sound that test pilots' wives are most afraid of?
(a) The door bell.
(b) The sound of a plane's engine.
(c) The telephone.
(d) The church bells.
4. Why do fighter pilots have an intense dislike for flight surgeons?
(a) They don't have good insurance.
(b) They would rather be flying than in a waiting room.
(c) They hate needles.
(d) They don't want to be grounded for medical reasons.
5. When a pilot is in the air and looking down at the ground, what does he most often feel?
(a) Grateful he has the opportunity to fly.
(b) Superior to the people below.
(d) Like it's time to get back to base.
6. Where are the new astronauts stationed?
(a) Kennedy Space Center.
(b) Langley Air Force Base.
(c) Cape Canaveral.
(d) Edwards Air Force Base.
7. Who originally pilots the X-1 aircraft?
(a) Jim Lovell.
(b) Pete Conrad.
(c) Slick Goodlin.
(d) Chuck Yeager.
8. When Gus Grissom's wife gives birth to their first child, where is Gus?
(a) In the delivery room.
(b) Fighting overseas in Korea.
(c) On base, completing his flight training.
(d) On a top-secret mission.
9. Who is the biggest practical joker among the volunteers?
(a) Gus Grissom.
(b) Pete Conrad.
(c) Wally Schirra.
(d) Alan Shepard.
10. While NASA is introducing and promoting Project Mercury, what is the Air Force trying to promote?
(a) The superior hand-to-hand fighting skills of the pilots.
(b) Their new recruiting practices.
(c) Chuck Yeager's breaking of the sound barrier.
(d) The high number of kills in the Korean conflict.
11. What problem does the Army have with Yeager piloting the X-1?
(a) They can't hold him back.
(b) They can't stop him from drinking.
(c) They can't keep his wife away from the base.
(d) They can't convince him the sound barrier is real.
12. When the book begins, where is the Naval Air Station that Pete Conrad is stationed at?
13. Which of the astronauts had separated from his wife, but reconciles with her after the psychological interviews at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base because he thinks it will improve his chances for astronaut selection?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Scott Carpenter.
(c) Deke Slayton.
(d) Gordon Cooper.
14. While not logging any flying time comes to bother all seven of the astronauts, which is the astronaut who finally voices their complaint?
(a) Gordon Cooper.
(b) Wally Schirra.
(c) Gus Grissom.
(d) John Glenn.
15. What state is Chuck Yeager from?
(d) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the inscription found on the blackboard in the Astronaut Office?
2. When Chuck Yeager is interviewed by reporters in Phoenix, what do the reporters want to know about?
3. Which of the astronauts rises early each morning to do his roadwork where everyone can see him?
4. The first flight into space will turn one of the seven astronauts into what?
5. As a result of his record-setting flight, where does Bob White show up?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)