|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chuck Yeager is interviewed by reporters in Phoenix, what do the reporters want to know about?
(a) How Yeager's family is.
(b) The astronauts.
(c) The sound barrier.
(d) The next plane Yeager will be testing.
2. In the eyes of the engineers, what are the astronauts?
(a) National heroes.
(b) Test subjects in an experiment.
(c) Partners in a great mission.
(d) Essential to the success of the program.
3. Which of the astronauts is actually an atheist (although he told the press that he had previously "attended" a Christian Science church with his wife)?
(a) Scott Carpenter.
(b) Gus Grissom.
(c) John Glenn.
(d) Alan Shepard.
4. Who is the biggest practical joker among the volunteers?
(a) Pete Conrad.
(b) Gus Grissom.
(c) Alan Shepard.
(d) Wally Schirra.
5. What is the name Yeager gives to his plane?
(a) Guns of Death.
(b) Rocketing Rickshaw.
(c) Soaring Eagle.
(d) Glamorous Glynnis.
6. What do Cape Canaveral and its surroundings remind the pilots of?
(a) Muroc Army Air Base.
(b) Langley Air Force Base.
(c) Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
(d) Patrick Air Force Base.
7. Why does Janet Conrad support her husband's decision to join the astronaut program?
(a) She thinks it will vault his career to the top.
(b) She wants her husband to be a famous astronaut.
(c) She thinks it will be safer than flying high-performance jet fighters.
(d) She wants to move out of the desert.
8. What is Gus Grissom awarded for his actions during combat in Korea?
(a) The Ace Award.
(b) The Distinguished Flying Cross.
(c) The Purple Heart.
(d) The Superior Aviator Award.
9. Who runs the Fly Inn near Muroc Field?
(a) John Louis.
(b) Amelia Earhart.
(c) Pancho Barnes.
(d) Marcus Graves.
10. Which of the astronauts' wives has been previously divorced--a matter of public record that is not reported in the Life article?
(a) Deke Slayton.
(b) Wally Schirra.
(c) Gus Grissom.
(d) Gordon Cooper.
11. What are the pilots known by at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base?
(a) Their call sign.
(b) Their given name.
(c) Their nickname.
(d) Their number.
12. In every flight class, what ratio of new trainees do not earn their wings?
(a) 3 in 5.
(b) 7 in 9.
(c) 2 in 4.
(d) 1 in 3.
13. Which of the astronauts rises early each morning to do his roadwork where everyone can see him?
(a) Gus Grissom.
(b) Deke Slayton.
(c) Wally Schirra.
(d) John Glenn.
14. What is Jim Lovell's nickname?
15. How many test pilots are in the original group in Jacksonville?
Short Answer Questions
1. While most fighter pilots revel in driving fast sports cars, John Glenn does not. What car does he drive?
2. While not logging any flying time comes to bother all seven of the astronauts, which is the astronaut who finally voices their complaint?
3. What is the Navy-calculated probability that a career Navy pilot will die in an aircraft accident?
4. What is the unofficial tradition at Cape Canaveral?
5. As a result of his record-setting flight, where does Bob White show up?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)