|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "pushing the outside of the envelope" refer to?
(a) The limits of a particular aircraft's performance.
(b) The farthest distance from the base a plane can fly without refueling.
(c) The least amount of sleep a test pilot needs before being considered safe to fly.
(d) The new US Postal Service's mailing requirements.
2. What is the inscription found on the blackboard in the Astronaut Office?
(a) The sports car is a symptom of male menopause.
(b) What goes around comes around.
(c) The turtle always beats the hare.
(d) Live free or die trying.
3. How many fighter jocks volunteer for the top-secret civilian program?
4. What is the nightmare that Jane Conrad has repeatedly?
(a) That a test plane will crash into their house.
(b) That her husband leaves her.
(c) That a figure is coming up the walk to tell her that her husband had been killed.
(d) That Jane is in the pilot's seat of a doomed plane.
5. As a result of his record-setting flight, where does Bob White show up?
(a) At Langley Air Force Base.
(b) On the cover of Life magazine.
(c) At the celebratory party at Pancho's.
(d) On the cover of Newsweek magazine.
6. While NASA is introducing and promoting Project Mercury, what is the Air Force trying to promote?
(a) The superior hand-to-hand fighting skills of the pilots.
(b) Their new recruiting practices.
(c) Chuck Yeager's breaking of the sound barrier.
(d) The high number of kills in the Korean conflict.
7. At the insistence of the astronauts, what feature is finally designed into the capsule?
(a) A lavatory.
(b) A homing device.
(c) A mayday beacon.
(d) A window.
8. What are the pilots known by at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base?
(a) Their call sign.
(b) Their number.
(c) Their nickname.
(d) Their given name.
9. Why are the wives calling each other at the beginning of the story?
(a) They are sharing news of a new baby.
(b) They are angry over a new testing policy for the pilots.
(c) They are planning a surprise party for the pilots.
(d) They are trying to figure out who's husband was killed.
10. By the end of the chapter, which one of the seven is beginning to assume the natural leadership role?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Jim Lovell.
(c) Alan Shepard.
(d) Gordon Cooper.
11. Which of the astronauts' wives has been previously divorced--a matter of public record that is not reported in the Life article?
(a) Gordon Cooper.
(b) Deke Slayton.
(c) Wally Schirra.
(d) Gus Grissom.
12. What does Gus Grissom find to be the strangest experience for him in the beginning of the press conference?
(a) As soon as they appear, reporters start firing questions at them.
(b) The photographers are so eager for pictures of the astronauts and they haven't even been introduced yet.
(c) The flashing light bulbs from all of the cameras causes him to have a seizure.
(d) The absolute silence of the conference room as the pilots walk through the curtain for the first time is the strangest thing.
13. Which astronaut is known as the Icy Commander?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Alan Shepard.
(c) Deke Slayton.
(d) Pete Conrad.
14. What does every fighter jock also think of himself as?
(a) An ace driver.
(b) An indestructible force.
(c) A ladies' man.
(d) A being just beneath God.
15. How much time passes after the press conference before the astronauts are though of as national heroes?
(a) It takes three days.
(b) It happens overnight.
(c) They aren't considered of as national heroes until the first launch.
(d) It takes seven weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In every flight class, what ratio of new trainees do not earn their wings?
2. Who is the only Marine in the group of seven astronauts?
3. What do Cape Canaveral and its surroundings remind the pilots of?
4. What political event leads to Project Mercury being thought of, for the first time, as potentially expendable?
5. Which pilot waxes philosophical when asked at the press conference about family and religion (much to the surprise and astonishment of the other pilots)?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)