|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is housed at the Holloman Air Force Base?
(a) The rocket launchers.
(b) The chimpanzee colony.
(c) The mission control center.
(d) The psychologists' new testing facility.
2. What does "pushing the outside of the envelope" refer to?
(a) The farthest distance from the base a plane can fly without refueling.
(b) The least amount of sleep a test pilot needs before being considered safe to fly.
(c) The limits of a particular aircraft's performance.
(d) The new US Postal Service's mailing requirements.
3. How many days before the planned Mercury launch do the Russians put a man into space?
4. Towards the end of his flight, Cooper starts experiencing problems. What is causing these problems?
(a) The stabilizers.
(b) The heat shields.
(c) The electrical system.
(d) The communications module.
5. When Pete receives his top-secret orders, what is the project he is being asked to volunteer for?
(a) The Mercury Project.
(b) The X-1 Project.
(c) The Saturn Project.
(d) The Moon Project.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pete Conrad transferred to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland?
2. Who runs the Fly Inn near Muroc Field?
3. Why does the unmanned flight receive very little public attention?
4. While not logging any flying time comes to bother all seven of the astronauts, which is the astronaut who finally voices their complaint?
5. Complete this flying theorem: "There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines..."
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)