|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, "The Operational Stuff".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Janet Conrad support her husband's decision to join the astronaut program?
(a) She wants her husband to be a famous astronaut.
(b) She thinks it will vault his career to the top.
(c) She thinks it will be safer than flying high-performance jet fighters.
(d) She wants to move out of the desert.
2. Muroc Army Air Base is renamed in 1948. What is its new name?
(a) Cape Canaveral.
(b) Edwards Air Force Base.
(c) George Air Force Base.
(d) Kennedy Army Air Base.
3. Which of the astronauts does not live with his family on or near the base, but houses his family 120 miles away from the base and lives in the base's Bachelor Quarters?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Scott Carpenter.
(c) Gus Grissom.
(d) Deke Slayton.
4. What does Gus Grissom find to be the strangest experience for him in the beginning of the press conference?
(a) The flashing light bulbs from all of the cameras causes him to have a seizure.
(b) As soon as they appear, reporters start firing questions at them.
(c) The absolute silence of the conference room as the pilots walk through the curtain for the first time is the strangest thing.
(d) The photographers are so eager for pictures of the astronauts and they haven't even been introduced yet.
5. Why do the volunteers report to Lovelace?
(a) To observe rocket testing.
(b) For psychological testing.
(c) For medical testing.
(d) For flight training.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being grounded, what is Deke Slayton's new role in NASA?
2. Why does the unmanned flight receive very little public attention?
3. Who originally pilots the X-1 aircraft?
4. Where is Cape Canaveral located?
5. What is the most difficult routine in military flying?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)