|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, "The Unscrewable Pooch".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the astronauts place a sign inside the capsule reading "No handball playing in this area" to help keep Shepard relaxed and loose?
(a) Gordon Cooper.
(b) Gus Grissom.
(c) Deke Slayton.
(d) John Glenn.
2. What is President Kennedy obsessed with?
(a) Defeating the Cubans.
(b) Promoting his space advisor to NASA's head.
(c) Dismantling Project Mercury.
(d) Catching up with the Russians in the space race.
3. Why do the volunteers report to Lovelace?
(a) For psychological testing.
(b) For flight training.
(c) To observe rocket testing.
(d) For medical testing.
4. What happens when the second Mercury flight splashes down?
(a) The spotters cannot find the capsule.
(b) The capsule begins to sink.
(c) The helicopter cannot hook on to the capsule.
(d) The capsule lands upside down.
5. What is given to Shepard by President Kennedy?
(a) The Distinguished Service Medal.
(b) The Ace Award.
(c) The Purple Heart.
(d) The Medal of Honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname given to Pete's flight test class?
2. What recent invention makes Program Mercury possible at all?
3. When do the pilots wear their bridge coats?
4. Based on the magazine article that is run on Glenn, Grissom, and Shepard, what do these three become known as?
5. In the eyes of the engineers, what are the astronauts?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)