|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, "The Unscrewable Pooch".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the pervading feeling as the launch approaches?
(a) Our boys always botch it.
(b) This time it will work.
(c) The Russians already beat us. Why bother?
(d) We can do this.
2. What political action occurs between the Soviet's launch of their cosmonaut and the scheduled launch of Shepard?
(a) The dismantling of Project Mercury.
(b) The X-16 disaster.
(c) The Bay of Pigs.
(d) The assassination of President Kennedy.
3. What is the biggest challenge of landing on a carrier ship?
(a) Because carrier ship landings are never discussed before attempting.
(b) Because the grey of the ship makes it hard to spot in the ocean.
(c) Because the ship is pitching and rolling in the sea.
(d) Because the plane has to lose altitude so quickly.
4. How does Ted Whelan die?
(a) His plane crash lands in a swamp.
(b) He flies beneath the hard deck and into power lines.
(c) His parachute fails to open.
(d) He is in a car accident.
5. When Chuck Yeager is interviewed by reporters in Phoenix, what do the reporters want to know about?
(a) How Yeager's family is.
(b) The sound barrier.
(c) The astronauts.
(d) The next plane Yeager will be testing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is James Webb?
2. As soon as Shepard is debriefed, where is he flown to?
3. Who originally pilots the X-1 aircraft?
4. Who is Bob White?
5. The first flight into space will turn one of the seven astronauts into what?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)