|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, "The Cape".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one sound that test pilots' wives are most afraid of?
(a) The door bell.
(b) The telephone.
(c) The sound of a plane's engine.
(d) The church bells.
2. How many fighter jocks volunteer for the top-secret civilian program?
3. How are wives notified if their husband is injured or killed during a test flight?
(a) There is no official procedure for notifying the family of death.
(b) The Navy sends an official letter to the wife.
(c) Another one of the wives goes to the house to break the news.
(d) The Navy sends a man with official or moral authority to the house.
4. Who is John Glenn's greatest ally in the debate over how the astronauts should conduct themselves?
(a) Gordon Cooper.
(b) Gus Grissom.
(c) Deke Slayton.
(d) Scott Carpenter.
5. Why is Gus Grissom uncomfortable during the press conference?
(a) He hates telling total strangers how he feels.
(b) He hates being misquoted in the newspapers.
(c) He doesn't like people.
(d) He is camera shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author liken the deck of a carrier to?
2. While NASA is introducing and promoting Project Mercury, what is the Air Force trying to promote?
3. Which pilot waxes philosophical when asked at the press conference about family and religion (much to the surprise and astonishment of the other pilots)?
4. What is Jim Lovell's nickname?
5. By the end of the chapter, which one of the seven is beginning to assume the natural leadership role?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)