|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "On the Balcony".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nightmare that Jane Conrad has repeatedly?
(a) That a test plane will crash into their house.
(b) That a figure is coming up the walk to tell her that her husband had been killed.
(c) That Jane is in the pilot's seat of a doomed plane.
(d) That her husband leaves her.
2. From the pilots' point of view, what is the only thing lacking during their astronaut training?
(a) Resources being funneled to the program.
(b) The pioneer spirit.
(c) Flying time.
(d) The intense and constant media scrutiny.
3. Why is Gus Grissom uncomfortable during the press conference?
(a) He doesn't like people.
(b) He hates telling total strangers how he feels.
(c) He is camera shy.
(d) He hates being misquoted in the newspapers.
4. Which of the astronauts does not live with his family on or near the base, but houses his family 120 miles away from the base and lives in the base's Bachelor Quarters?
(a) Deke Slayton.
(b) Scott Carpenter.
(c) Gus Grissom.
(d) John Glenn.
5. What is the most difficult routine in military flying?
(a) Instrument-only flying.
(b) Formation flying.
(c) Carrier landings.
(d) All-weather flying.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a pilot is in the air and looking down at the ground, what does he most often feel?
2. What does the author liken the deck of a carrier to?
3. Why are the wives calling each other at the beginning of the story?
4. When do the pilots wear their bridge coats?
5. From the original volunteers for the program, how many are finally accepted as astronauts?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)