|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, "The Tears".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What record does Bob White set during one of his X-15 flights?
(a) The new distance record.
(b) The new altitude record.
(c) The new longest flight duration record.
(d) The new speed record.
2. How many fighter jocks volunteer for the top-secret civilian program?
3. What is Jim Lovell's nickname?
4. At the insistence of the astronauts, what feature is finally designed into the capsule?
(a) A window.
(b) A mayday beacon.
(c) A lavatory.
(d) A homing device.
5. Why do the pilots report to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base?
(a) For launch preparation.
(b) For psychological and stress testing.
(c) For medical testing.
(d) For flight protocol training.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Project Mercury engineers think will be an easy task?
2. What do the engineers see as the most difficult, challenging, and pioneering part of the project?
3. After countless delays and several launch attempts, on what day is the manned flight finally launched?
4. What did the astronauts most often hit in the procedures trainer?
5. Sixteen days after Grissom's flight, the Russians launch another cosmonaut into space. How many times does the cosmonaut orbit the Earth before landing?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)