|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jeff's new horse?
2. Jeff experiences difficulties with what while riding a horse?
3. Who asks Jeff to go with him to the other side of the river?
4. How are the Jackmans related to Stand Watie?
5. What is Hancock Mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rebel coffee?
2. What does Jeff tell Lucy about the Declaration of Independence?
3. Where do Jeff and Jim Bostwick end up on their scout?
4. After the Battle of Prairie Grove what do Jeff and Noah do?
5. What is the "social duty" detail that Jeff is ordered to participate in?
6. What is Jeff's punishment for refusing to participate in the execution?
7. Describe what Jeff sees at the hotel at Boggy Depot.
8. What does Jeff find in the Washbournes' cow lot?
9. Why is Mrs. Washbourne so appreciative to Jeff?
10. What does Jeff know about bloodhounds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) What role does the family unit play throughout the story?
Part 2) Compare the Washbourne family to Jeff's family. In what ways are these two families different? In what ways are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What common ideas about the Civil War does this book challenge?
Part 2) Is it easily understood that Jeff was torn between the two sides after spending time with the Confederate men? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story Jeff, David Gardner and John Chadwick all leave together to go to war.
Part 1) Compare these three characters at the beginning of the story.
Part 2) From what is seen of these characters, explain what changes have occurred for each one over the course of the war.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)