|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucy's brother's name?
2. What kind of training will Jeff's unit receive at Fort Gibson?
3. Jeff experiences difficulties with what while riding a horse?
4. Where does Jeff go when he returns to Tahlequah?
5. Who does Captain Clardy have executed for being a Rebel spy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fort Gibson get its food?
2. After the Battle of Prairie Grove what do Jeff and Noah do?
3. How does Jeff survive the long walk back to Fort Gibson?
4. What does Jeff find in the Washbournes' cow lot?
5. Describe what Jeff sees at the hotel at Boggy Depot.
6. After seeing Lucy, what happens to Jeff in Boggy Depot?
7. What information does the letter in the haversack contain?
8. What does Jeff know about bloodhounds?
9. Why is Mrs. Washbourne so appreciative to Jeff?
10. When Jeff became ill, how does he get to the Jackmans' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) The story is told from Jeff's point of view and it is understandable that Jeff is the main character. Pick a character that could easily be identified as the second most important character in the story. What did this character add to the story line and in what way did he or she affect Jeff?
Part 2) Jeff is the considered the protagonist of the story. Pick out a minimum of three antagonists of the story and explain their role.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Why did the author choose to write the story in past tense? What does it convey to the author?
Part 2) Why does the author reveal at the end of the story that Jeff will sleep on the ground for many years to come but not answer the question of whether he will be able to find Lucy?
Part 3) Would it have been as effective to write the story in present tense?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What role does the family unit play throughout the story?
Part 2) Compare the Washbourne family to Jeff's family. In what ways are these two families different? In what ways are they similar?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)