|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emory tells Jeff that Captain Clardy has what kind of ways?
2. How does Jeff feel concerning the captain?
3. What does the woman give Jeff to eat ?
4. What does Emory tell Jeff to do?
5. What happens to General Lyon at the Battle of Wilson's Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David Gardner decide?
2. Who is Stand Watie?
3. Why is Captain Clardy so hateful to the volunteer soldiers in his company?
4. Why does Jeff think Sparrow is murdered?
5. How does the army punish the Rebel soldiers who violated their parole?
6. Describe Edith Bussey's homeland.
7. What is Bess's role in the encounter with the bushwhackers?
8. What duty does Jeff draw the day after the Battle of Wilson's Creek?
9. Who were the men who came to Jeff's home?
10. What does John Chadwick decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) How do Jeff's ideas about war change from the beginning of the story when he is excited to be going off to war, until the end of the story when he is coming home?
Part 2) Are there more physical or emotional changes in Jeff? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Does it make the book more or less enjoyable to know it is a work of fiction? Would it make the book more interesting if its main characters had actually existed? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Speculate on why Hobbs seems to be so willing to take Jeff in as his own son early on.
Part 2) How does Hobbs affect Jeff? Explain your answer.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)