|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeff trap in the creek before he went in the army?
2. Where does Jeff put the mules?
3. Whose regiment enters the ambush from the South?
4. Why does Jeff knock on the door of the clapboard house in the woods?
5. What of the troops is the first to line up for the march?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noah know about their new commander?
2. What made Jeff's mind up about his 'dearest wish'?
3. What are the other members of the family's roles during the encounter?
4. What does John Chadwick decide to do?
5. What are Jeff's father's views in the growing political dispute in their area?
6. What does David Gardner decide?
7. Who is Stand Watie?
8. What is Jeff remembering as he plows the field?
9. How far did Noah Babbitt walk and why?
10. What is Jeff's punishment for defending his namesake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which side of the battle would you have chosen to be on? Remember that there were more issues at stake than slavery. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Find a piece of foreshadowing that stands out heavily in the reading. What does the author use to make the reader aware that this is foreshadowing?
Part 2) How would the story have been different without this moment of foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story Jeff, David Gardner and John Chadwick all leave together to go to war.
Part 1) Compare these three characters at the beginning of the story.
Part 2) From what is seen of these characters, explain what changes have occurred for each one over the course of the war.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)