|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emory tells Jeff that Captain Clardy has what kind of ways?
2. How does Jeff feel concerning the captain?
3. What does the woman give Jeff to eat ?
4. What does Emory tell Jeff to do?
5. What happens to General Lyon at the Battle of Wilson's Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David Gardner decide?
2. Who is Stand Watie?
3. Why is Captain Clardy so hateful to the volunteer soldiers in his company?
4. Why does Jeff think Sparrow is murdered?
5. How does the army punish the Rebel soldiers who violated their parole?
6. Describe Edith Bussey's homeland.
7. What is Bess's role in the encounter with the bushwhackers?
8. What duty does Jeff draw the day after the Battle of Wilson's Creek?
9. Who were the men who came to Jeff's home?
10. What does John Chadwick decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Find a piece of foreshadowing that stands out heavily in the reading. What does the author use to make the reader aware that this is foreshadowing?
Part 2) How would the story have been different without this moment of foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
There are many different things that the author uses as recurring tools in the story:
Part 1) What is the importance of the animals that keep occurring in the story and Jeff's obvious connection with them? What is the significance that Jeff's dog lays down to sleep with him after he returns home in the last chapter?
Part 2) There are many different colors used over and over again in the story to draw the readers attention. What colors stand out the most during the story? Why does the author chose to use colors as a literary tool?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) How do Jeff's ideas about war change from the beginning of the story when he is excited to be going off to war, until the end of the story when he is coming home?
Part 2) Are there more physical or emotional changes in Jeff? Explain.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)