|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeff get to Fort Leavenworth?
(a) He rides the neighbor's wagon.
(b) He rides his mule.
(c) He travels there on foot.
(d) He joins a wagon train.
2. What is the name of Jeff's dog?
3. What is on Jeff's new uniform?
(b) Lace trim.
(d) Brass buttons.
4. Who do the men impersonate?
(b) Slave traders.
(c) Union Home Guards.
(d) Free State men.
5. Who is at the Bussey house?
(a) Two young women with guns.
(b) Two older men with canes.
(c) Two young men with their wives.
(d) Two strangers with sawed off shotguns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men request of the Busseys?
2. What battle begins on December 7, 1862?
3. What is Sergeant Mike Dempsey's job?
4. Who is Emory Bussey?
5. How long was the drought in the Kansas Territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the boys on the first morning at Fort Leavenworth?
2. What is Jeff's punishment for defending his namesake?
3. What are the other members of the family's roles during the encounter?
4. What is Jeff remembering as he plows the field?
5. Who is the loneliness volunteer in camp?
6. On his way back to Fort Leavenworth Jeff stops at the Chadwick farm and does what?
7. Why does Jim Veatch throw his playing card in the sumac bush?
8. What did the army cooks do with the stagnant pool water?
9. What does Jeff find at the Gardner place?
10. Why is Captain Clardy so hateful to the volunteer soldiers in his company?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)