|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who usually milks the Washbourne's cow?
(a) The dairy hand.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The sons.
(d) The daughters.
2. Who do the neighbor boys tell when they leave with Jeff?
(a) The widow woman on the corner.
(b) The army recruiter.
(c) Their parents.
(d) No one.
3. Who is at the Bussey house?
(a) Two young women with guns.
(b) Two strangers with sawed off shotguns.
(c) Two older men with canes.
(d) Two young men with their wives.
4. Why does Jeff leave home?
(a) To volunteer for the Union army.
(b) To go to his grandparents home.
(c) To replace the mules.
(d) To get the sheriff.
5. Why is Jeff disgusted with the army food?
(a) There is never enough.
(b) The cook is killed.
(c) The food is burned.
(d) He has to fix his own.
6. What does Jeff's mother do that he enjoys the most?
(b) Cuts his hair.
(d) Washes his clothes.
7. How does Jeff get to Fort Leavenworth?
(a) He rides his mule.
(b) He rides the neighbor's wagon.
(c) He joins a wagon train.
(d) He travels there on foot.
8. Where does the regiment go from Fort Scott?
(a) Fort Smith.
(b) Linn County, Kansas.
(c) Cherokee Indian Nation.
(d) Van Buren,Arkansas.
9. What does the officer ask Jeff?
(a) What funeral home he wants used.
(b) What to say to his sweetheart if he passes.
(c) When is his next birthday.
(d) Where to send his pay if captured.
10. What is the name of the shepherd dog Jeff befriends?
11. What is the name of Jeff's dog?
12. What is Jeff's punishment?
(a) One week of daily laundry duty.
(b) One week of daily running.
(c) One week of daily kitchen duty.
(d) One week of daily latrine duty.
13. What is Jeff's fear as he leaves the house?
(a) That the men will take his sisters.
(b) That the men will kill his father.
(c) That the men will sleep in his bed.
(d) That the men will eat all of the supper.
14. Jim Veatch tosses what on a sumac bush?
(a) His cowboy hat.
(b) His deck of playing cards.
(c) His gunbelt.
(d) His dogtags.
15. How long was the drought in the Kansas Territory?
(a) Sixteen days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Sixteen months.
(d) Seven months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Captain Clardy covet in his former regiment?
2. During the physical what does the doctor mention to Jeff?
3. What does the army doctor do to Jeff?
4. As the battle rages, what does Jeff think about?
5. Where does Jeff carry the wounded soldiers on ambulance duty?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)