Chapter 1, Linn County, Kansas, 1861
• Jeff Bussey is plowing at his home in Kentucky.
• Jeff's father thinks the 16-month drought the year before got rid of the weaker families who moved away.
• Jeff wants to enlist in the army.
• Jeff hears his father blow the sea horn which is a sign of emergency.
Chapter 2, Bushwhackers
• Two strange men come to the house and claim to be hungry Union Home Guards.
• Emory Bussey knows they aren't Union Soldiers but agrees to feed them.
• The men attack Emory but are fought off by the members of the family.
• Jeff announces he is going to leave to fight in the war and his father consents.
Chapter 3, Fort Leavenworth
• Jeff begins to feel lonely after leaving home.
• Two of Jeff's neighbors enlist with him and leave without saying goodbye to their families.
• Jeff is told by the army physician that his chest is...
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)