|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bess and Venters stop to rest the horses after they flee, what does Bess say about Black Star?
2. What did Frank Erne do to the new preacher in town?
3. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
4. Which horse did Jane always think was the slowest?
5. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
2. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
3. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
4. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
5. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
6. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
7. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
8. What is the symbolism of Jane giving her horses to Venters and Bess? How does this show forgiveness?
9. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
10. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the foreshadowing event of Lassiter rolling Balancing Rock down the hill? There is more than one event to describe, but chose one and be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Bishop Dyer is an evil man? Why? Why not? Give examples of his behavior that support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why would Tull's actions toward Jane be described as a conspiracy? Who is involved in hurting Jane? Is Tull acting along? If not, how is Tull getting other people to take action against Jane?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)