|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lassiter losing on his climb up the cliff to Surprise Valley?
2. In the end, what does Venters do to Oldring?
3. What does Jane say to Lassiter to convince him to roll the stone?
4. Venters comes down the cliff and is returning to town for a second time, what has happened to Wrangle when he gets to the bottom of the cliff?
5. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
2. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
3. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
4. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
5. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
6. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
7. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
8. What is the symbolism of Jane giving her horses to Venters and Bess? How does this show forgiveness?
9. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
10. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, Jane is trying to get Lassiter's guns, but when he finally offers them, she refuses. What has changed in both characters at this point in the story? Then, at the end, Lassiter drops and leaves his gun as he ascends the cliff to Surprise Valley. What is the symbolism here? What does it mean that the guns are empty?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the small breaking points in the story for Jane and her Mormon religion. What was the final blow?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of gold in this story? What three times is it used in the story? What characters are involved? Describe the scenes and then explain the symbolism of gold.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)