|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bess tell Venters about the Masked Rider?
2. After taking Lassiter to Milly's grave, what does Jane wonder aloud to Venters?
3. When Jane asks Lassiter to stay and eat, why does Lassiter hesitate?
4. At the beginning of the book, Jane waits for the churchmen. What will the churchmen attack Jane for?
5. When Venters goes to the cliff dweller's cave the first time, what does he find?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
2. Venters sees Oldring and the Masked Rider ride across the edge of Jane's land. Why is this ominous? What do the people know about Oldring?
3. Describe Balancing Rock and how it was made to balance. What would happen if the rock is dislodged? How can this protect Venters and Bess now that he knows how to use the rock as a defense? Do you think this is foreshadowing an event?
4. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
5. When Jane visits the Brandts in town, the women warn her about her behavior. What are the Mormon's women's concerns with Jane? How do they think she will be punished? How will she be rewarded if she marries Tull? Would her marriage to Tull be the right thing for her religiously?
6. As Bess tells Venters of her relationship with Oldring, does she seem haunted? What about her past does not match with the girl that Venters is getting to know? Is Venters having trouble seeing both sides of Bess? Are there two sides to Bess?
7. Describe Tull's campaign to pressure Jane into marriage. How does he manipulate other Mormon and non-Mormons to help him with his campaign.
8. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
9. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
10. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bishop Dyer use religious guilt to control Jane? Why is Jane unable to overcome her fixation on Bishop Dyer's religious image? At what point in the novel do you feel the tide is changing in regard to Jane's feelings toward Bishop Dyer. Please be specific.
Essay Topic 2
How did the search for Milly Erne change Lassiter? How did it change her husband Frank? What about Milly's parents? How are Lassiter's actions toward Milly's disappearance different from the others? Why do you think this is true?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Bishop Dyer is an evil man? Why? Why not? Give examples of his behavior that support your answer.
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)