|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, who does she give Bells to?
2. Why does Lassiter not want to push Balancing Rock?
(a) Because it is ancient.
(b) Because it is a thing of beauty.
(c) Because he may hurt himself.
(d) Because it will close them in forever.
3. After Lassiter tells Jane the story of his search for Milly, what terrible secret does Jane reveal?
(a) Her father was Dyer's brother.
(b) Her father kidnapped Milly.
(c) Her father was the father of Milly's baby and also of Fay.
(d) Her father was the preacher that went to Texas.
4. How does Jane react at first when her and Lassiter meet Venters and Bess?
(a) She is angry at Venters.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is untrusting.
(d) She forgives Venters.
5. What do Bess and Venters take back with them to their camp?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
2. How old was Bess when she was taken from her mother?
3. After his time in Surprise Valley, Venters believes that it was wrong of Jane to love him. Why?
4. When Bess and Venters remember Surprise Valley they agree to return someday, but what if Balancing Rock falls?
5. What did Frank Erne do to the new preacher in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
2. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
3. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
4. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
5. What is Venter's reaction to Bess finding gold? Why does he feel this way? What freedom can this buy for the couple?
6. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
7. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
8. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
9. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
10. When Venters tells Bess he must return to Cottonwoods for supplies, what does she think? Why does Bess not feel worthy of Venters attention? What has changed Venters since he came to the valley?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)