|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Milly Erne finally leave Salt Lake?
(a) She escaped to the north.
(b) Her daughter was kidnapped, and she followed her to Cottonwoods.
(c) She went home with a man she had come to love.
(d) She got a job in Cottonwoods.
2. When Bess and Venters remember Surprise Valley they agree to return someday, but what if Balancing Rock falls?
(a) Venters knows an underground cave entrance.
(b) Venters can swim in with the water.
(c) It will be closed forever.
(d) Venters knows a way to climb in with ropes.
3. As Lassiter and Venters stand in the shadow of Balancing Rock, what does Lassiter share with Venters?
(a) His love of rolling rocks.
(b) That he knows another way into Surprise Valley.
(c) That Balancing Rock has ancient writings.
(d) That Balancing Rock will not roll.
4. After Lassiter visits Surprise Valley, what is the plan Venters comes up with?
(a) Escape to Texas.
(b) Steal horses and run to California.
(c) Go to town for horse in disguise for Bess.
(d) Escape to Salt Lake.
5. Before Venters leaves for Cottonwoods, Beth asks him if there is another woman. What is his answer?
(a) Yes, but he's over her now.
(b) There never was another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lassiter having a drink with in the saloon?
2. Venters and Bess take cover from the storm in their cave and Bess, afraid, snuggles with Venters. What does he know in this moment?
3. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
4. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
5. Venters tells Bess he must return to Cottonwoods after the storm but will come right back. What does he tell Bess he is returning for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
2. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
3. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
4. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
5. What is the symbolism of Jane giving her horses to Venters and Bess? How does this show forgiveness?
6. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
7. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
8. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
9. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
10. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)