|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Venters and Bess hear as they take a last look at the sun setting over the sage?
(a) A coming storm.
(b) Horses running.
(c) Bells from the church in Glaze.
(d) A long thundering sound.
2. When Venters sees Jerry Card on this horse, what does Venters do?
(a) He chases him.
(b) He shoots him.
(c) He runs him off a cliff.
(d) He talks to him and convinces him to give up the horse.
3. After Lassiter is grazed by a bullet, Jane and Lassiter hear an approaching horse. Who is it?
(a) Black Star.
4. Who tells Bess about the fate of her father?
5. Which horse did Jane always think was the slowest?
(d) Black Star.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Venters realize the morning after the storm?
2. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
3. Before Venters returns to Surprise Valley, what does Jane have for him?
4. The morning after the storm, what does Bess ask Venters?
5. What does Venters tell Lassiter as he leaves Surprise Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
2. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
3. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
4. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
5. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
6. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
7. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
8. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
9. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
10. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)