|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venters realize the morning after the storm?
(a) That he needs more beef.
(b) That he loves Bess.
(c) That he's afraid of storms.
(d) That he still loves Jane and must return to her.
2. Who was Lassiter having a drink with in the saloon?
3. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
(a) She keeps them for herself.
(b) She loads them.
(c) Puts them back on him.
(d) She takes them.
4. What do Bess and Venters take back with them to their camp?
5. Venters comes down the cliff and is returning to town for a second time, what has happened to Wrangle when he gets to the bottom of the cliff?
(a) He's dead.
(b) He's run off.
(c) He's gone wild and Venters has to rope him.
(d) He's been stolen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bess and Venters return to the cliff dwellings and find something more. What?
2. In the final pursuit of Bess and Venters, who is on the white horse?
3. When Jane faints for the second time in the novel she awakes to Judkins. What does he tell her?
4. When Venters arrives at Withersteen House from Surprise Vallley, what will he do if Jane stops defending Tull?
5. How did Oldring feel about Bess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
2. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
3. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
4. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
5. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
6. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
7. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
8. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
9. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
10. In the race with Jerry Card, Venters appreciates Jerry's riding skill. What does Jerry Card do that is so impressive to Venters? Why is Venters proud of Jerry in that moment? What does he admire about Jerry during the race?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)