|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Bess when she was taken from her mother?
2. Who is following Lassiter and Jane as they head for Surprise Valley?
(d) Jane's father.
3. What does Lassiter give to Bess?
(a) A locket with a picture of her mother.
(b) A painting of her mother.
(d) A pocketwatch that belonged to Jane's father.
4. What does Venters remember about Bess as they are racing away?
(a) That she is too young to marry.
(b) That she is not a fast rider.
(c) That she is the Masked Rider.
(d) That she is not a very good rider.
5. When Venters confronts Oldring what does he yell across the room?
(a) "A word for you--from Bess!"
(b) "A word for you--from your Masked Rider!"
(c) "Prepare to die!"
(d) "Get down!"
Short Answer Questions
1. After the race, who greets Venters and helps him with the horses?
2. After his conversation with Jane, Venters is going to tell someone that they have broken their vow. Who?
3. After the race with Jerry Card, what does Venters do next?
4. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is the secret Bess reveals to Venters?
5. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
2. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
3. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
4. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
5. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
6. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
7. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
8. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
9. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
10. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)