|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mrs. Larkin dies, what does Lassiter tell Jane to do with Fay?
(a) Raise her as a daughter.
(b) Raise her as a Mormon.
(c) Return her to Dyer.
(d) Return her to a Gentile family to raise.
2. What does Venters tell Lassiter as he leaves Surprise Valley?
(a) That Bess is kidnapped.
(b) That Bess is dead.
(c) That Bess is injured.
(d) That Bess is leaving.
3. The morning after the storm, what does Bess ask Venters?
(a) If she was a baby.
(b) If he's leaving today.
(c) If he loves her.
(d) If he was scared of the storm.
4. How do Venters and Bess know the storms are over?
(a) It does not rain for four days.
(b) The purple clouds turn to white.
(c) They know the rainy season is over.
(d) Ring is energetic.
5. What did Lassiter think of Frank Erne?
(a) He hated his religion.
(b) He thought Frank was a lousy preacher.
(c) He thought Frank was an idiot.
(d) He liked him and was not bothered by the religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Venters says goodbye to Lassiter, what new worry comes to his mind?
2. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
3. Where are Venter's mother and sister?
4. What does Venters realize the morning after the storm?
5. How old was Bess when she was taken from her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
2. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
3. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
4. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
5. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
6. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
7. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
8. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
9. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
10. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)