|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his stay in Surprise Valley, what does Venters tell Tull about the red herd?
(a) He knows about Jerry Card stealing the red herd as part of the deal Tull made with Oldring.
(b) He stole from the red herd.
(c) He milled the red herd.
(d) He saw the red herd run off a cliff.
2. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
(a) Several years.
3. When Venters is ready to return to Cottonwoods, Bess and Venters stand by Balancing Rock and she tells him her secret. What is it?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She is not the Masked Rider.
(d) Oldring was her brother.
4. Who was Lassiter having a drink with in the saloon?
5. In the final pursuit of Bess and Venters, who is on the white horse?
Short Answer Questions
1. What horses are Bess and Venters riding during their getaway?
2. What does Lassiter give to Bess?
3. When Venters confronts Oldring what does he yell across the room?
4. When Venters comes from Surprise Valley, where do he and Lassiter go together?
5. Venters and Bess take cover from the storm in their cave and Bess, afraid, snuggles with Venters. What does he know in this moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
2. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
3. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
4. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
5. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is Venters worried about? Why is he worried? What actions will he take at this point?
6. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
7. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
8. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
9. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
10. When Venters tells Bess he must return to Cottonwoods for supplies, what does she think? Why does Bess not feel worthy of Venters attention? What has changed Venters since he came to the valley?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)