|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Milly Erne finally leave Salt Lake?
(a) She went home with a man she had come to love.
(b) She got a job in Cottonwoods.
(c) Her daughter was kidnapped, and she followed her to Cottonwoods.
(d) She escaped to the north.
2. On his way back to town a second time, who does Venters encounter?
(b) A group of rustlers.
3. When Jane faints for the second time in the novel she awakes to Judkins. What does he tell her?
(a) Lassiter killed Dyer.
(b) Lassiter escaped from Tull.
(c) Lassiter is dead.
(d) Lassitre retreived Fay.
4. When Venters comes from Surprise Valley, where do he and Lassiter go together?
(a) To get a stiff drink.
(b) To sit by the water.
(c) Into Cottonwoods.
(d) To the sage.
5. Who is following Lassiter and Jane as they head for Surprise Valley?
(c) Jane's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lassiter think of Frank Erne?
2. After his conversation with Jane, Venters is going to tell someone that they have broken their vow. Who?
3. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is the secret Bess reveals to Venters?
4. What is Lassiter losing on his climb up the cliff to Surprise Valley?
5. What is Venters thinking about as he races across the sage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
2. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
3. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
4. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
5. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
6. In the race with Jerry Card, Venters appreciates Jerry's riding skill. What does Jerry Card do that is so impressive to Venters? Why is Venters proud of Jerry in that moment? What does he admire about Jerry during the race?
7. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
8. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
9. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
10. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)