|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the race, who greets Venters and helps him with the horses?
2. When Venters finally catches up to Black Star, what does he think has happened to the horse?
(a) He threw Jerry.
(b) He disappeared into the sage.
(c) The race has killed the horse.
(d) He broke his leg.
3. Venters comes down the cliff and is returning to town for a second time, what has happened to Wrangle when he gets to the bottom of the cliff?
(a) He's run off.
(b) He's gone wild and Venters has to rope him.
(c) He's been stolen.
(d) He's dead.
4. Which horse did Jane always think was the slowest?
(b) Black Star.
5. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
(a) She keeps them for herself.
(b) Puts them back on him.
(c) She takes them.
(d) She loads them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
2. On his way back to town a second time, who does Venters encounter?
3. When Bess and Venters remember Surprise Valley they agree to return someday, but what if Balancing Rock falls?
4. When Venters arrives at Withersteen House from Surprise Vallley, what will he do if Jane stops defending Tull?
5. How many years had Lassiter been looking for his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
2. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
3. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
4. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
5. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
6. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
7. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
8. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
9. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
10. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)