|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is the secret Bess reveals to Venters?
(a) She has gold from the valley.
(b) She is scared.
(c) She does not love him.
(d) She was married to Oldring.
2. What does Bess want Venters to call her after she finds out about her mother?
(a) Elizabeth Erne.
(b) Miss Erne.
(d) Mrs. Venters.
3. After his conversation with Jane, Venters is going to tell someone that they have broken their vow. Who?
4. Where does Lassiter take Jane when they flee Cottonwood?
(a) To Surprise Valley.
(c) To the sage.
(d) To the town of Graze.
5. What does Jane say to Lassiter to convince him to roll the stone?
(a) "Tull is coming!"
(b) "Don't be afraid!"
(c) "Save Fay!"
(d) "I love you!"
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bess and Venters remember Surprise Valley they agree to return someday, but what if Balancing Rock falls?
2. Venters comes down the cliff and is returning to town for a second time, what has happened to Wrangle when he gets to the bottom of the cliff?
3. How old was Bess when she was taken from her mother?
4. What is Lassiter losing on his climb up the cliff to Surprise Valley?
5. How did Oldring feel about Bess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
2. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
3. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
4. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
5. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
6. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
7. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
8. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
9. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
10. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)