|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lassiter visits Surprise Valley, what is the plan Venters comes up with?
(a) Steal horses and run to California.
(b) Escape to Texas.
(c) Go to town for horse in disguise for Bess.
(d) Escape to Salt Lake.
2. After Lassiter is grazed by a bullet, Jane and Lassiter hear an approaching horse. Who is it?
(c) Black Star.
3. Why does Lassiter not want to push Balancing Rock?
(a) Because it is a thing of beauty.
(b) Because he may hurt himself.
(c) Because it will close them in forever.
(d) Because it is ancient.
4. How did Oldring feel about Bess?
(a) He was cruel to her.
(b) Like a slave.
(c) He loved her as a daughter.
(d) He resented her.
5. What is Lassiter losing on his climb up the cliff to Surprise Valley?
(a) The saddlebag.
(b) Drops of blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Venters and Bess take cover from the storm in their cave and Bess, afraid, snuggles with Venters. What does he know in this moment?
2. In Surprise Valley, what does Venters confess to Lassiter?
3. How many years had Lassiter been looking for his sister?
4. When Jane faints for the second time in the novel she awakes to Judkins. What does he tell her?
5. Who tells Bess about the fate of her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
2. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
3. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
4. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
5. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
6. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
7. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
8. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
9. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
10. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)