|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lassiter visits Surprise Valley, what is the plan Venters comes up with?
(a) Escape to Texas.
(b) Steal horses and run to California.
(c) Go to town for horse in disguise for Bess.
(d) Escape to Salt Lake.
2. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
(a) Puts them back on him.
(b) She keeps them for herself.
(c) She loads them.
(d) She takes them.
3. What does Lassiter give to Bess?
(a) A painting of her mother.
(b) A locket with a picture of her mother.
(d) A pocketwatch that belonged to Jane's father.
4. After his conversation with Jane, Venters is going to tell someone that they have broken their vow. Who?
5. After the race, when Venters arrives at Tull's house, what does Tull do?
(a) Shoots him.
(b) Goes inside and locks the door.
(c) Challenges him to a duel.
(d) Invites him in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Venters realize the morning after the storm?
2. When Venters sees Jerry Card on this horse, what does Venters do?
3. When Mrs. Larkin dies, what does Lassiter tell Jane to do with Fay?
4. What horse trick does Jerry Card do while Venters races him?
5. When Venters has his encounter on his way back into Cottonwoods, what horse is Jerry Card riding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
2. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is Venters worried about? Why is he worried? What actions will he take at this point?
3. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
4. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
5. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
6. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
7. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
8. When Venters tells Bess he must return to Cottonwoods for supplies, what does she think? Why does Bess not feel worthy of Venters attention? What has changed Venters since he came to the valley?
9. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
10. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)