|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Venters leaves for Cottonwoods, Beth asks him if there is another woman. What is his answer?
(a) There never was another woman.
(c) Yes, but he's over her now.
2. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
(a) She takes them.
(b) She keeps them for herself.
(c) Puts them back on him.
(d) She loads them.
3. When Venters returns with the horses after the race, what news does he hear from his friend?
(a) That Lassiter left town.
(b) That Lassiter is in love with Jane.
(c) That Lassiter killed Tull.
(d) That Lassiter stole from Jane.
4. Where are Venter's mother and sister?
5. What does Bess want Venters to call her after she finds out about her mother?
(a) Elizabeth Erne.
(b) Miss Erne.
(c) Mrs. Venters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, what does Venters do to Oldring?
2. What do Venters and Bess hear as they take a last look at the sun setting over the sage?
3. After Lassiter visits Surprise Valley, what is the plan Venters comes up with?
4. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
5. When Venters arrives at Withersteen House from Surprise Vallley, what will he do if Jane stops defending Tull?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
2. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
3. What is the symbolism of Jane giving her horses to Venters and Bess? How does this show forgiveness?
4. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
5. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
6. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
7. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
8. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
9. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
10. In the race with Jerry Card, Venters appreciates Jerry's riding skill. What does Jerry Card do that is so impressive to Venters? Why is Venters proud of Jerry in that moment? What does he admire about Jerry during the race?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)