|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lassiter tells Jane the story of his search for Milly, what terrible secret does Jane reveal?
(a) Her father was the father of Milly's baby and also of Fay.
(b) Her father kidnapped Milly.
(c) Her father was the preacher that went to Texas.
(d) Her father was Dyer's brother.
2. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
(a) Her jewelry and some gold.
(b) All her prized horses.
(c) All her clothes.
3. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
(a) Venters knows a deal was made between Tull and Oldring.
(b) Venters is living in Surprise Valley with a girl.
(c) Venters is jealous of Lassiter.
(d) Venters stole cattle from the red herd.
4. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
5. Why did Milly Erne finally leave Salt Lake?
(a) She went home with a man she had come to love.
(b) Her daughter was kidnapped, and she followed her to Cottonwoods.
(c) She got a job in Cottonwoods.
(d) She escaped to the north.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bess and Venters take back with them to their camp?
2. Before Venters returns to Surprise Valley, what does Jane have for him?
3. As Bess and Venters are making their getaway, what does Bess see on the horizon?
4. After Mrs. Larkin dies, Jane continues to hear something in the fields by her house. What does she hear?
5. What does Venters say touched him in Surprise Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
2. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
3. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
4. What is Venter's reaction to Bess finding gold? Why does he feel this way? What freedom can this buy for the couple?
5. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
6. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
7. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
8. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
9. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
10. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)