|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bess and Venters remember Surprise Valley they agree to return someday, but what if Balancing Rock falls?
(a) Venters can swim in with the water.
(b) Venters knows an underground cave entrance.
(c) It will be closed forever.
(d) Venters knows a way to climb in with ropes.
2. What did Milly's captors do to her while she delivered her baby?
(a) Washed he forhead with water.
(b) Kept her tied and bound.
(c) Held her hands.
(d) Took excellent care of her.
3. How did Oldring feel about Bess?
(a) He loved her as a daughter.
(b) He was cruel to her.
(c) He resented her.
(d) Like a slave.
4. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is the secret Bess reveals to Venters?
(a) She was married to Oldring.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She has gold from the valley.
5. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Venters finally catches up to Black Star, what does he think has happened to the horse?
2. After his time in Surprise Valley, Venters believes that it was wrong of Jane to love him. Why?
3. The morning after the storm, Venters wants to return to Cottonwoods, but what are his reasons?
4. After Lassiter tells Jane the story of his search for Milly, what terrible secret does Jane reveal?
5. When Lassiter tracked the preacher, where did he find that Milly was held prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
2. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
3. What is Venter's reaction to Bess finding gold? Why does he feel this way? What freedom can this buy for the couple?
4. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
5. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
6. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
7. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
8. When Lassiter returns from Surprise Valley, what do he and Jane discover about her horses? Why is this important? What does this mean to Jane and Lassiter?
9. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
10. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)