|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How may days does Venters tell Bess that she must wait for him to return from Cottonwood before she knows he is dead?
2. Before Venters returns to Surprise Valley, what does Jane have for him?
(a) Withersteen House.
(b) A pocketwatch that belonged to her father.
(c) Her hand in marriage.
(d) A package packed by her.
3. When Venters is ready to return to Cottonwoods, Bess and Venters stand by Balancing Rock and she tells him her secret. What is it?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She is not the Masked Rider.
(c) She is scared.
(d) Oldring was her brother.
4. What did Milly's captors do to her while she delivered her baby?
(a) Held her hands.
(b) Washed he forhead with water.
(c) Took excellent care of her.
(d) Kept her tied and bound.
5. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
(a) Venters stole cattle from the red herd.
(b) Venters is jealous of Lassiter.
(c) Venters knows a deal was made between Tull and Oldring.
(d) Venters is living in Surprise Valley with a girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horse trick does Jerry Card do while Venters races him?
2. After Mrs. Larkin dies, Jane continues to hear something in the fields by her house. What does she hear?
3. What does Lassiter do to Withersteen house when he and Jane flee?
4. When Venters finally catches up to Black Star, what does he think has happened to the horse?
5. What does Venters realize the morning after the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
2. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
3. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
4. When Venters tells Bess he must return to Cottonwoods for supplies, what does she think? Why does Bess not feel worthy of Venters attention? What has changed Venters since he came to the valley?
5. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
6. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
7. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
8. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
9. In the race with Jerry Card, Venters appreciates Jerry's riding skill. What does Jerry Card do that is so impressive to Venters? Why is Venters proud of Jerry in that moment? What does he admire about Jerry during the race?
10. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)