|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Venters finally catches up to Black Star, what does he think has happened to the horse?
(a) He disappeared into the sage.
(b) He threw Jerry.
(c) He broke his leg.
(d) The race has killed the horse.
2. As Venters and Bess ride away, what does Jane wave?
(a) She blows kisses.
(b) Her scarf.
(c) Her hand.
(d) Her hat.
3. What does Venters tell Lassiter as he leaves Surprise Valley?
(a) That Bess is kidnapped.
(b) That Bess is leaving.
(c) That Bess is dead.
(d) That Bess is injured.
4. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
(c) Several years.
5. What is Venters thinking about as he races across the sage?
(a) He remembers nursing Bess back to health.
(b) He remembers stories he's heard about Bess.
(c) That he's ahead of Bess.
(d) He thinks of his childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horses are Bess and Venters riding during their getaway?
2. When Venters has his encounter on his way back into Cottonwoods, what horse is Jerry Card riding?
3. What does Venters realize the morning after the storm?
4. What does Venters remember about Bess as they are racing away?
5. After his conversation with Jane, Venters is going to tell someone that they have broken their vow. Who?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
2. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
3. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
4. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
5. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
6. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
7. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
8. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
9. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
10. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)