|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Venters and Bess hear as they take a last look at the sun setting over the sage?
(a) Bells from the church in Glaze.
(b) A coming storm.
(c) A long thundering sound.
(d) Horses running.
2. When Venters comes from Surprise Valley, where do he and Lassiter go together?
(a) Into Cottonwoods.
(b) To the sage.
(c) To sit by the water.
(d) To get a stiff drink.
3. As Lassiter and Venters stand in the shadow of Balancing Rock, what does Lassiter share with Venters?
(a) That Balancing Rock has ancient writings.
(b) His love of rolling rocks.
(c) That Balancing Rock will not roll.
(d) That he knows another way into Surprise Valley.
4. After Lassiter is grazed by a bullet, Jane and Lassiter hear an approaching horse. Who is it?
(c) Black Star.
5. When Venters confronts Oldring what does he yell across the room?
(a) "A word for you--from Bess!"
(b) "A word for you--from your Masked Rider!"
(c) "Get down!"
(d) "Prepare to die!"
Short Answer Questions
1. When Venters is ready to return to Cottonwoods, Bess and Venters stand by Balancing Rock and she tells him her secret. What is it?
2. What did Milly's captors do to her while she delivered her baby?
3. After his conversation with Jane, Venters is going to tell someone that they have broken their vow. Who?
4. What does Lassiter do to Withersteen house when he and Jane flee?
5. After Venters says goodbye to Lassiter, what new worry comes to his mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
2. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
3. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
4. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
5. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
6. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
7. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
8. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
9. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
10. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)