|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lassiter visits Surprise Valley, what is the plan Venters comes up with?
(a) Steal horses and run to California.
(b) Escape to Texas.
(c) Go to town for horse in disguise for Bess.
(d) Escape to Salt Lake.
2. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
(a) Puts them back on him.
(b) She loads them.
(c) She takes them.
(d) She keeps them for herself.
3. Who tells Bess about the fate of her father?
4. What is Lassiter losing on his climb up the cliff to Surprise Valley?
(b) Drops of blood.
(c) The saddlebag.
5. What horse trick does Jerry Card do while Venters races him?
(a) He ropes another horse while riding.
(b) He stands in the saddle.
(c) He switches horses while the horses are running.
(d) He jumps down and back up on the horse while riding.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lassiter is grazed by a bullet, Jane and Lassiter hear an approaching horse. Who is it?
2. What does Lassiter give to Bess?
3. After the race, when Venters arrives at Tull's house, what does Tull do?
4. The morning after the storm, what does Bess ask Venters?
5. Where does Lassiter take Jane when they flee Cottonwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
2. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
3. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
4. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
5. The title of the book is used for the first time in Chapter 22 as Bess looks at the band of riders and calls them sage riders. What does this mean? How is this different that rustlers?
6. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
7. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
8. In the race with Jerry Card, Venters appreciates Jerry's riding skill. What does Jerry Card do that is so impressive to Venters? Why is Venters proud of Jerry in that moment? What does he admire about Jerry during the race?
9. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
10. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)