|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Venters returns with the horses after the race, what news does he hear from his friend?
(a) That Lassiter stole from Jane.
(b) That Lassiter is in love with Jane.
(c) That Lassiter left town.
(d) That Lassiter killed Tull.
2. When Jane tells Lassiter she wants to go away with him, what does she say to try to convince him?
(a) "I'll marry you."
(b) "I give up my religion."
(c) "Your people shall be my people--your God my God."
(d) "I love Little Fay."
3. Who tells Bess about the fate of her father?
4. When Venters sees Jerry Card on this horse, what does Venters do?
(a) He chases him.
(b) He shoots him.
(c) He runs him off a cliff.
(d) He talks to him and convinces him to give up the horse.
5. What is Venters thinking about as he races across the sage?
(a) He thinks of his childhood.
(b) He remembers stories he's heard about Bess.
(c) He remembers nursing Bess back to health.
(d) That he's ahead of Bess.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mrs. Larkin dies, Jane continues to hear something in the fields by her house. What does she hear?
2. What horses are Bess and Venters riding during their getaway?
3. Venters and Bess take cover from the storm in their cave and Bess, afraid, snuggles with Venters. What does he know in this moment?
4. After his stay in Surprise Valley, what does Venters tell Tull about the red herd?
5. When Venters arrives at Withersteen House from Surprise Vallley, what will he do if Jane stops defending Tull?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)