|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Venters leaves for Cottonwoods, Beth asks him if there is another woman. What is his answer?
(a) There never was another woman.
(d) Yes, but he's over her now.
2. What do Bess and Venters take back with them to their camp?
3. How may days does Venters tell Bess that she must wait for him to return from Cottonwood before she knows he is dead?
4. Bess and Venters return to the cliff dwellings and find something more. What?
(a) Human bone.
(b) Metal instruments for farming.
(c) Stored food.
(d) A secret hiding place inside the caves.
5. Which horse did Jane always think was the slowest?
(c) Black Star.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way back to town a second time, who does Venters encounter?
2. Who was Lassiter having a drink with in the saloon?
3. When Jane tells Lassiter she wants to go away with him, what does she say to try to convince him?
4. How does Jane react at first when her and Lassiter meet Venters and Bess?
5. When Lassiter tracked the preacher, where did he find that Milly was held prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
2. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
3. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
4. Why is Bess afraid to tell Venters about the gold? What does she think he will do? Why?
5. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
6. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
7. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
8. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
9. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
10. In the race with Jerry Card, Venters appreciates Jerry's riding skill. What does Jerry Card do that is so impressive to Venters? Why is Venters proud of Jerry in that moment? What does he admire about Jerry during the race?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)