|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his time in Surprise Valley, Venters believes that it was wrong of Jane to love him. Why?
(a) He never loved Jane.
(b) It put Jane in a bad position.
(c) He is really a Mormon.
(d) He works for Tull.
2. Why did Milly Erne finally leave Salt Lake?
(a) She got a job in Cottonwoods.
(b) She went home with a man she had come to love.
(c) Her daughter was kidnapped, and she followed her to Cottonwoods.
(d) She escaped to the north.
3. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
(b) Her jewelry and some gold.
(c) All her clothes.
(d) All her prized horses.
4. When Venters returns to Surprise Valley, who follows him?
5. When Venters has his encounter on his way back into Cottonwoods, what horse is Jerry Card riding?
(a) Black Star.
(b) His own.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Larkin dies, what does Lassiter tell Jane to do with Fay?
2. What does Lassiter give to Bess?
3. As Venters and Bess ride away, what does Jane wave?
4. How may days does Venters tell Bess that she must wait for him to return from Cottonwood before she knows he is dead?
5. When Lassiter tracked the preacher, where did he find that Milly was held prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
2. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
3. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
4. Judkins comes to tell Jane the white herd is missing. What happened to them? Who was lost? How does this compare to Lassiter's work earlier in the novel with the white herd?
5. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
6. Venters gives a tribute to Jane when he faces Tull. How does Jane react to this? Describe the range of her emotions.
7. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
8. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
9. When Venters tells Bess he must return to Cottonwoods for supplies, what does she think? Why does Bess not feel worthy of Venters attention? What has changed Venters since he came to the valley?
10. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)