|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venters remember about Bess as they are racing away?
(a) That she is not a fast rider.
(b) That she is the Masked Rider.
(c) That she is not a very good rider.
(d) That she is too young to marry.
2. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
(b) Her jewelry and some gold.
(c) All her prized horses.
(d) All her clothes.
3. After the race, when Venters arrives at Tull's house, what does Tull do?
(a) Invites him in.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Goes inside and locks the door.
(d) Challenges him to a duel.
4. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
(a) Several years.
5. When Venters arrives at Withersteen House from Surprise Vallley, what will he do if Jane stops defending Tull?
(a) He will befriend Tull.
(b) He will take care of Tull when he is old.
(c) He promises to not draw on Tull.
(d) He promises to talk to Tull.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lassiter tells Jane the story of his search for Milly, what terrible secret does Jane reveal?
2. As Lassiter and Venters stand in the shadow of Balancing Rock, what does Lassiter share with Venters?
3. How did Oldring feel about Bess?
4. After the race, who greets Venters and helps him with the horses?
5. After Bess is well, what do she and Venters do everyday in Surprise Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lassiter lose his resolve when it is time to roll the stone? What does he realize the end will be?
2. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
3. Why does Venters shoot Wrangle? Why didn't one of the men do this before now? What keeps them from shooting the horses?
4. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
5. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
6. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
7. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
8. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
9. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
10. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)