|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his time in Surprise Valley, Venters believes that it was wrong of Jane to love him. Why?
(a) He never loved Jane.
(b) He is really a Mormon.
(c) He works for Tull.
(d) It put Jane in a bad position.
2. What did Frank Erne do to the new preacher in town?
(a) Converted to Momonism and left town with him.
(b) Went to his church and ran him out of town.
(c) Became his best friend.
(d) Helped him in his work.
3. After Mrs. Larkin dies, Jane continues to hear something in the fields by her house. What does she hear?
4. In Surprise Valley, what does Venters confess to Lassiter?
(a) That he loves Bess.
(b) That Bess is Oldring's sister.
(c) That he is leaving Bess.
(d) That Bess is an evil woman.
5. When Jane tells Lassiter she wants to go away with him, what does she say to try to convince him?
(a) "I'll marry you."
(b) "I give up my religion."
(c) "I love Little Fay."
(d) "Your people shall be my people--your God my God."
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Venters returns to Surprise Valley, what does Jane have for him?
2. When Lassiter tracked the preacher, where did he find that Milly was held prisoner?
3. When Bess and Venters remember Surprise Valley they agree to return someday, but what if Balancing Rock falls?
4. What does Lassiter give to Bess?
5. What horse trick does Jerry Card do while Venters races him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
2. What is the bet between Venters and Jane about the speed of the horses? Who is right in the end?
3. What is Venter's reaction to Bess finding gold? Why does he feel this way? What freedom can this buy for the couple?
4. Describe the trial of Jane's men. Who is the judge? Do you think this is a fair trial? Why or why not?
5. What is the symbolism of Jane giving her horses to Venters and Bess? How does this show forgiveness?
6. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
7. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
8. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
9. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is Venters worried about? Why is he worried? What actions will he take at this point?
10. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)