|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lassiter known for?
(a) As a killer of Mormons.
(b) The Masked Rider.
(c) A rustler.
(d) A man looking for gold.
2. Lassiter wants to go home? Where is home for Lassiter?
(b) Northern Utah.
3. After shooting the Masked Rider, what does Venters discover?
(a) The Rider had no guns.
(b) The Rider had a rifle.
(c) The Rider is a young boy.
(d) The Rider is an old man.
4. Once Venters and Bess are in Surprise Valley, how many days does Venters think Bess will need to lie still?
(a) 3 to 4.
(c) About 8 days.
(d) Just 1.
5. What ancient discovery does Venters find in Surprise Valley?
(a) Ancient rock formations.
(b) Prehistoric animal bones.
(c) Ancient cliff dwellers.
(d) Rock tablet with ancient writings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jane's women employees take from Withersteen House?
2. Jane sends Judkins to town to find out about the disappearance of her riders. What does Judkins discover?
3. Jane asks Lassiter to be her friend, but only under one condition. What is the condition?
4. According to Venters, what has Bishop Dyer done to hurt Venters?
5. Lassiter comes to Jane to inform her that he found her white herd. Jane changes and goes to mount her horse. How does she mount her horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
2. When running from Tull and his riders, Venters is amazed at Bess. Why? What does he remember as he rides. What are some of her exploits?
3. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
4. After Fay is abducted, Jane says that she gives up. Gives up what? What is her state of mind? How will she survive?
5. When Venters returns from hunting, Bess is sitting up in bed and wants to be lifted down. What does this moment signify in their relationship? How are they judging each other at this point in the story?
6. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
7. As Chapter 22 ends, Bess and Venters hear a low thundering sound. What is the sound? What does it mean?
8. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
9. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
10. Lassiter arrives in Surprise Valley and meets Bess. He studies her, and, then, suddenly rises to leave. What is Lassiter thinking? What do you think he has figured out about Bess?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)