|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After taking Lassiter to Milly's grave, what does Jane wonder aloud to Venters?
(a) If Lassiter knew Milly very well.
(b) If Lassiter was Milly's brother.
(c) If Lassiter was Milly's husband.
(d) If Lassiter was Milly's father.
2. What ancient discovery does Venters find in Surprise Valley?
(a) Rock tablet with ancient writings.
(b) Prehistoric animal bones.
(c) Ancient rock formations.
(d) Ancient cliff dwellers.
3. When Venters goes into Cottonwood, all the men are in the streets. What are they talking about?
(a) The marriage of Jane and Tull.
(b) The coming of Lassiter.
(c) The sage.
(d) The new Mormon church.
4. How does Venters find the opening to Surprise Valley?
(a) He notices ancient marks in the rock that lead up a cliff.
(b) He follows blood drops up the cliff.
(c) There are small arrows engraved in the rocks leading him up the pass.
(d) Ring goes into the opening and lead the way.
5. Just after the rustlers pass Venters and his dog in the canyon, Ring turns and growls at two riders coming right at them. Who is one of the riders?
(b) The Masked Rider.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Milly die?
2. When Lassiter appears, what does Jane offer that enrages Tull?
3. When Jane tells Blake to go to the sage and get all her horses, what information does Blake have?
4. What does Jane want more than anything else for Lassiter?
5. As the situation worsens, Jane tells Jerd to only care for only two things. What?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
2. Once Venters reaches Surprise Valley he skins the rabbit and saves the hide? Why would he want to keep this hide? What feeling is Venters trying to capture and hang on to?
3. In Chapter 4, why does Judkins say that it is not normal for rustlers to shoot at a rider? Is this a code of ethics or standards practiced by the riders in this story? What does it mean?
4. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
5. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
6. While exploring for the first time, Venters finds evidence of beavers in Surprise Valley and realizes that he must find the the stream where they entered. Why does Venters need to see the where the stream enters Surprise Valley? What is he afraid of?
7. Venters goes every day to Deception Pass and practices with his guns. Before the opening incident with Tull, who did he think was after him? Why did he feel the need to practice with his guns?
8. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
9. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
10. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)