|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane asks Lassiter to be her friend, but only under one condition. What is the condition?
(a) He must giver her his horse.
(b) He must leave forever.
(c) He must not kill any Mormons.
(d) He must kill Tull for her.
2. Why does Venters go to Deception Pass every day?
(a) To kill the Masked Rider.
(b) To camp and hunt.
(c) To practice shooting.
(d) To spy on Oldring.
3. After the visit from the Bishop, what does Lassiter tell Jane about her employees?
(a) They are poisoning her water.
(b) They want Black Star and Night.
(c) They want her house.
(d) They are spying on her.
4. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
(c) The Masked Rider.
(d) Judkins the Gentile rider.
5. Jane sends Judkins to town to find out about the disappearance of her riders. What does Judkins discover?
(a) Her riders are now with Oldring.
(b) There is a band organized to hunt rustlers and Tull's man, Jerry Card, is the leader.
(c) Her riders moved to Glaze.
(d) Her riders left Utah.
Short Answer Questions
1. On her way to Collier Brandt's house, Jane sees Tull. What does he scold her for?
2. After dinner, Venters goes to the grove to sleep. Who does he see riding through?
3. When Jane sees the visitor at the Brandt house, why does this person think Jane has not been to church?
4. Lassiter wants to go home? Where is home for Lassiter?
5. Why are there four separate entrances to the Brandt's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lassiter leaves Jane alone to pursue the men he's been looking for, he asks her what would she prefer her fate be? Why? Is this another sign of giving up? What would give her new life?
2. Jane wonders aloud if Lassiter was Milly's husband. Why would this be important? Would this mean that Lassiter was a Mormon?
3. When Venters shoots Oldring, Oldring tries to say something before he dies. What do you think he was trying to say? Why is Venters so upset when he talks to Bess on his return to Surprise Valley? What does he decide not to tell her at this point?
4. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
5. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
6. Venters sees Oldring and the Masked Rider ride across the edge of Jane's land. Why is this ominous? What do the people know about Oldring?
7. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is Venters worried about? Why is he worried? What actions will he take at this point?
8. What is the symbolism of Jane giving her horses to Venters and Bess? How does this show forgiveness?
9. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
10. What do Bess and Venters think about when they find human bone in the cliff dwellings?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)