|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jane think is the "unseen hand"?
(d) The bishop.
2. Once Venters and Bess are in Surprise Valley, how many days does Venters think Bess will need to lie still?
(a) About 8 days.
(c) Just 1.
(d) 3 to 4.
3. Why does Venters want Bess to get well?
(a) He thinks she can lead him to Oldring.
(b) He thinks she is rich.
(c) He wants to find out her story.
(d) He doesn't want to be responsible for killing an unarmed woman.
4. When Jane tells Blake to go to the sage and get all her horses, what information does Blake have?
(a) The horses are back in the coral.
(b) The horses are eating.
(c) All the horses are gone.
(d) The horses are resting.
5. What does Bess say Oldring is doing to hide his true motives?
(a) Terrorizing towns.
(b) Shooting men.
(c) Rustling cattle.
(d) Keeping Bess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Milly die?
2. What does Jane want more than anything else for Lassiter?
3. When Venters goes to find the red herd, how far does he travel in three hours?
4. According to Venters, what has Bishop Dyer done to hurt Venters?
5. After shooting the Masked Rider, what does Venters discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the gold that Jane uses to pay both Judkins and Blake? Where did she get it? Why is she paying these men in gold? Does this say anything about her father?
2. Bess tells Venters that she has memories of women and children. Who do you think these people were? What do you think their relationship was with Bess?
3. When Jane visits the Brandts in town, the women warn her about her behavior. What are the Mormon's women's concerns with Jane? How do they think she will be punished? How will she be rewarded if she marries Tull? Would her marriage to Tull be the right thing for her religiously?
4. How does Venters find the openings to the canyons? How does he find Oldring's den?
5. Once Venters reaches Surprise Valley he skins the rabbit and saves the hide? Why would he want to keep this hide? What feeling is Venters trying to capture and hang on to?
6. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
7. Who is the "unseen hand" and what role is he playing in what is happening to Jane and her ranch? Why is the "unseen hand" at work?
8. Jane wonders aloud if Lassiter was Milly's husband. Why would this be important? Would this mean that Lassiter was a Mormon?
9. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
10. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)