|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which horse does Jane give to Lassiter?
(c) Black Night.
2. When the Bishop is talking with Jane, Lassiter comes up behind him. What happens?
(a) Jane stands in front of the Bishop so Lassiter will not kill him.
(b) Lassiter hits the Bishop on his head.
(c) The Bishop faints.
(d) Jane faints and Lassiter wings the Bishop when he draws his gun.
3. Venters goes to find the red herd, but he also wants to do something very specific. What is it?
(a) Find Oldring's retreat.
(b) Practice shooting.
(c) Sleep under the stars.
(d) Camp and fish.
4. Why did Milly die?
(a) She died of a broken heart after her daughter disappeared.
(b) Because she gave up the Mormon religion.
(c) She died brokenhearted over Bishop Dyer.
(d) She was sick with a fevor.
5. Why are there four separate entrances to the Brandt's house?
(a) The children are divided up by age.
(b) There are four wives and each have their own section of the house.
(c) Mr. Brandt lives in one, the other sections are for his wives, his children, and storage.
(d) The house was built at different times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Venters block the entrance to Surprise Valley?
2. At the beginning of the book, Jane waits for the churchmen. What will the churchmen attack Jane for?
3. When Venters takes Bess to Surprise Valley, she awakens and think she hears a waterfall. What is she really hearing?
4. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
5. As the situation worsens, Jane tells Jerd to only care for only two things. What?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
2. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
3. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
4. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
5. How is Tull different than the man he pretends to be? How does he play both ends of his conspiracy against Jane?
6. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
7. Venters goes every day to Deception Pass and practices with his guns. Before the opening incident with Tull, who did he think was after him? Why did he feel the need to practice with his guns?
8. While exploring for the first time, Venters finds evidence of beavers in Surprise Valley and realizes that he must find the the stream where they entered. Why does Venters need to see the where the stream enters Surprise Valley? What is he afraid of?
9. Describe Balancing Rock and how it was made to balance. What would happen if the rock is dislodged? How can this protect Venters and Bess now that he knows how to use the rock as a defense? Do you think this is foreshadowing an event?
10. Once Venters reaches Surprise Valley he skins the rabbit and saves the hide? Why would he want to keep this hide? What feeling is Venters trying to capture and hang on to?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)