|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Venters offers to take the wounded girl back to Oldring, what does she say?
(a) "Just let me die here."
(b) "Please, before I die."
(c) "Don't take me back there."
(d) "Take me back so I can see the sage once more."
2. What does Oldring really do for a living?
(b) Trains Arabian horses.
(c) Owns a cattle ranch.
(d) Pans and digs for gold.
3. What is Lassiter known for?
(a) A man looking for gold.
(b) The Masked Rider.
(c) A rustler.
(d) As a killer of Mormons.
4. Why does Jane not take care of Milly's grave?
(a) Jane doesn't take care of her land very well.
(b) Milly told Jane not to bother with it.
(c) She wants to keep it hidden.
(d) Milly was not family.
5. Jane sends Judkins to town to find out about the disappearance of her riders. What does Judkins discover?
(a) Her riders are now with Oldring.
(b) Her riders moved to Glaze.
(c) There is a band organized to hunt rustlers and Tull's man, Jerry Card, is the leader.
(d) Her riders left Utah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane want more than anything else for Lassiter?
2. Who helps Jane as Mrs. Larkin dies?
3. What relationship did Bishop Dyer have with Jane's father?
4. After Jane visits Mary Brandt, she goes to the Gentile village. Why does she go?
5. Which horse does Jane give to Venters to go find the red herd?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
2. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
3. Venters sees Oldring and the Masked Rider ride across the edge of Jane's land. Why is this ominous? What do the people know about Oldring?
4. When Venters returns from hunting, Bess is sitting up in bed and wants to be lifted down. What does this moment signify in their relationship? How are they judging each other at this point in the story?
5. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
6. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
7. How does Venters find the openings to the canyons? How does he find Oldring's den?
8. Describe Tull's campaign to pressure Jane into marriage. How does he manipulate other Mormon and non-Mormons to help him with his campaign.
9. Venters goes every day to Deception Pass and practices with his guns. Before the opening incident with Tull, who did he think was after him? Why did he feel the need to practice with his guns?
10. Once Venters reaches Surprise Valley he skins the rabbit and saves the hide? Why would he want to keep this hide? What feeling is Venters trying to capture and hang on to?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)