|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Just after the rustlers pass Venters and his dog in the canyon, Ring turns and growls at two riders coming right at them. Who is one of the riders?
(c) The Masked Rider.
2. As the situation worsens, Jane tells Jerd to only care for only two things. What?
(a) The water for the town.
(c) The cattle.
(d) Black Star and Night.
3. When Venters goes to the cliff dweller's cave the first time, what does he find?
(b) Pans for cooking.
(c) Bows and arrows.
(d) Pottery and instruments for grinding maize.
4. What is Lassiter known for?
(a) The Masked Rider.
(b) A man looking for gold.
(c) A rustler.
(d) As a killer of Mormons.
5. Where did Jane get her horses?
(a) Her father got them from Nevada Indians.
(b) Jane bought them.
(c) Venters bought them.
(d) Her father got them in Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the signs that Milly gave up the Mormon religion?
2. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
3. Who does Jane think is the "unseen hand"?
4. What does Bess say Oldring is doing to hide his true motives?
5. When Bess is better, Venters gets a chance to explore the valley. What animals does he find evidence of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tull different than the man he pretends to be? How does he play both ends of his conspiracy against Jane?
2. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
3. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
4. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
5. How does Venters find the openings to the canyons? How does he find Oldring's den?
6. Describe Jane's relationship with Bishop Dyer. How does Jane view Bishop Dyer's connection to God? How was he helpful to her father? Why is Jane torn between the man Dyer and the bishop Dyer?
7. As Bess tells Venters of her relationship with Oldring, does she seem haunted? What about her past does not match with the girl that Venters is getting to know? Is Venters having trouble seeing both sides of Bess? Are there two sides to Bess?
8. Jane wonders aloud if Lassiter was Milly's husband. Why would this be important? Would this mean that Lassiter was a Mormon?
9. Venters sees Oldring and the Masked Rider ride across the edge of Jane's land. Why is this ominous? What do the people know about Oldring?
10. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)