|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the signs that Milly gave up the Mormon religion?
(a) Her headstone has no Mormon symbols.
(b) She taught in a Gentile school.
(c) She quit teaching and fought against Mormon ways of raising a girl.
(d) She told Jane she gave up the religion.
2. What is making the white herd move so quickly?
(a) Someone on another ridge is spooking them with a white sheet.
(b) Someone on the ridge is throwing rocks at them.
(c) Someone on the ridge is yelling.
(d) Someone on the ridge is shooting at them.
3. Why has Mrs. Larkin always been afraid to give her daughter to Jane?
(a) She thinks her daughter will not go willingly.
(b) She believes Jane would be mean to her daughter.
(c) She is afraid Jane would raise her as a Mormon.
(d) She thinks Jane would kidnap her daughter.
4. What does Venters do to get some beef for Bess?
(a) Steals cattle from Oldring.
(b) Finds a stray cow and brings him back to Surprise Valley.
(c) Invades a cattle drive and robs eight head of cattle.
(d) Returns to Withersteen house and steals eight cattle.
5. Why does Venters go to Deception Pass every day?
(a) To camp and hunt.
(b) To practice shooting.
(c) To kill the Masked Rider.
(d) To spy on Oldring.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane asks Lassiter to stay and eat, why does Lassiter hesitate?
2. When Bess is better, Venters gets a chance to explore the valley. What animals does he find evidence of?
3. After Venters shoots the two riders in the oval valley, what does he do with the dead body?
4. When Venters gets into the oval valley, who does he leave to watch his horse?
5. What do Jane's women employees take from Withersteen House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you describe Tull's handiwork as a conspiracy? What makes it a conspiracy? Give examples.
2. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
3. How does Venters find the openings to the canyons? How does he find Oldring's den?
4. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
5. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
6. Who is the "unseen hand" and what role is he playing in what is happening to Jane and her ranch? Why is the "unseen hand" at work?
7. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
8. How is Tull different than the man he pretends to be? How does he play both ends of his conspiracy against Jane?
9. Describe Tull's campaign to pressure Jane into marriage. How does he manipulate other Mormon and non-Mormons to help him with his campaign.
10. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)