|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jane hears that her riders left her, she prays. What does she vow after her wrathful prayer?
(a) To marry Tull.
(b) To talk to Tull and reason with him.
(c) To kill Tull.
(d) To never marry Tull.
2. Who is being entertained at the Brandt house?
(c) Bishop Dyer.
3. What ancient discovery does Venters find in Surprise Valley?
(a) Prehistoric animal bones.
(b) Ancient cliff dwellers.
(c) Ancient rock formations.
(d) Rock tablet with ancient writings.
4. Jane sends Judkins to town to find out about the disappearance of her riders. What does Judkins discover?
(a) Her riders moved to Glaze.
(b) Her riders are now with Oldring.
(c) There is a band organized to hunt rustlers and Tull's man, Jerry Card, is the leader.
(d) Her riders left Utah.
5. According to Venters, what has Bishop Dyer done to hurt Venters?
(a) Stole his best horse.
(b) Sent out an edict to ruin him.
(c) Took his guns.
(d) Tried to convert him to Mormonism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cattle are in the red herd?
2. Who helps Jane as Mrs. Larkin dies?
3. Why does Venters go to Deception Pass every day?
4. At the beginning of the book, Jane waits for the churchmen. What will the churchmen attack Jane for?
5. What relationship did Bishop Dyer have with Jane's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the "unseen hand" and what role is he playing in what is happening to Jane and her ranch? Why is the "unseen hand" at work?
2. Would you describe Tull's handiwork as a conspiracy? What makes it a conspiracy? Give examples.
3. In Chapter 4, why does Judkins say that it is not normal for rustlers to shoot at a rider? Is this a code of ethics or standards practiced by the riders in this story? What does it mean?
4. Compare the entrance to Surprise Valley under the stone bridge and the entrance to the ancient cave dwellers up the steep steps. How are these the same and how are they different? What did they mean to the ancient peoples and how are they important to Venters and Bess?
5. As Bess tells Venters of her relationship with Oldring, does she seem haunted? What about her past does not match with the girl that Venters is getting to know? Is Venters having trouble seeing both sides of Bess? Are there two sides to Bess?
6. Describe Balancing Rock and how it was made to balance. What would happen if the rock is dislodged? How can this protect Venters and Bess now that he knows how to use the rock as a defense? Do you think this is foreshadowing an event?
7. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
8. When Venters carries Bess up the pass to the hidden valley, he experiences a new strength. What is this strength? What is the source of Venters strength?
9. How is Tull different than the man he pretends to be? How does he play both ends of his conspiracy against Jane?
10. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)