|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lassiter hears why Venters goes to Deception Pass, what is his reaction?
(a) That Venters will kill Jane.
(b) That Venters will kill Lassiter.
(c) That Venters will kill Tull.
(d) That Venters will kill Oldring.
2. What does Bess tell Venters about the Masked Rider?
(a) That she is not the real Masked Rider.
(b) That she is the Masked Rider, but she never stole or killed.
(c) That Oldring is really the Masked Rider.
(d) That Jerry Card is really the Masked Rider.
3. According to Venters, what has Bishop Dyer done to hurt Venters?
(a) Stole his best horse.
(b) Took his guns.
(c) Tried to convert him to Mormonism.
(d) Sent out an edict to ruin him.
4. When Bess is better, Venters gets a chance to explore the valley. What animals does he find evidence of?
(b) Beaver, wildcats, and foxes.
5. When Bishop Dyer appears at Jane's house, why is he upset?
(a) He heard that Jane will raise Fay and he wants her raised as a Mormon.
(b) He wants Jane to marry him.
(c) He wants Withersteen House to be given to the church.
(d) Jane has cut off the water to Cottonwood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lassiter wants to go home? Where is home for Lassiter?
2. Who does Jane think is the "unseen hand"?
3. How does Jane pay Blake when he returns to work for her?
4. When Blake returns to Withersteen house, what does Blake need to tell Lassiter?
5. Why did Milly die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Balancing Rock and how it was made to balance. What would happen if the rock is dislodged? How can this protect Venters and Bess now that he knows how to use the rock as a defense? Do you think this is foreshadowing an event?
2. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
3. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
4. Compare the entrance to Surprise Valley under the stone bridge and the entrance to the ancient cave dwellers up the steep steps. How are these the same and how are they different? What did they mean to the ancient peoples and how are they important to Venters and Bess?
5. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
6. While exploring for the first time, Venters finds evidence of beavers in Surprise Valley and realizes that he must find the the stream where they entered. Why does Venters need to see the where the stream enters Surprise Valley? What is he afraid of?
7. As Bess tells Venters of her relationship with Oldring, does she seem haunted? What about her past does not match with the girl that Venters is getting to know? Is Venters having trouble seeing both sides of Bess? Are there two sides to Bess?
8. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
9. Venters goes every day to Deception Pass and practices with his guns. Before the opening incident with Tull, who did he think was after him? Why did he feel the need to practice with his guns?
10. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)