|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jane hears that her riders left her, she prays. What does she vow after her wrathful prayer?
(a) To never marry Tull.
(b) To kill Tull.
(c) To marry Tull.
(d) To talk to Tull and reason with him.
2. After Jane visits Mary Brandt, she goes to the Gentile village. Why does she go?
(a) She is curious about the poor end of town.
(b) She must walk through this area to get home.
(c) She needs to hire men.
(d) She wants to find Venters.
3. During dinner with Jane and Venters, Lassiter says he is looking for something. What is it?
(a) Bern Venters.
(b) A place to stay the night.
(c) Something to eat.
(d) The grave of Milly Erne.
4. When Bishop Dyer appears at Jane's house, why is he upset?
(a) He heard that Jane will raise Fay and he wants her raised as a Mormon.
(b) Jane has cut off the water to Cottonwood.
(c) He wants Withersteen House to be given to the church.
(d) He wants Jane to marry him.
5. What happened in this area of Southern Utah in 1871?
(a) A prairie storm.
(b) Religous revivals came to the area.
(c) Villages to the north of Cottonwood rose up against Gentile settlers.
(d) Mormons moved to the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Bishop is talking with Jane, Lassiter comes up behind him. What happens?
2. What do Jane's women employees take from Withersteen House?
3. When Venters gets into the oval valley, who does he leave to watch his horse?
4. When Lassiter appears, what does Jane offer that enrages Tull?
5. When Jane sees the visitor at the Brandt house, why does this person think Jane has not been to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the entrance to Surprise Valley under the stone bridge and the entrance to the ancient cave dwellers up the steep steps. How are these the same and how are they different? What did they mean to the ancient peoples and how are they important to Venters and Bess?
2. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
3. How did Jane's father make his wealth? What did he own that others needed? How has Jane changed that legacy and what effect has the change had on the people of Cottonwoods?
4. Venters sees Oldring and the Masked Rider ride across the edge of Jane's land. Why is this ominous? What do the people know about Oldring?
5. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
6. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
7. Venter asks Bess, "what were you to Oldring?" How does Bess answer and what does her answer mean? Since Venters stops her before she can explain further, do you think there might be more to her story?
8. Venters goes every day to Deception Pass and practices with his guns. Before the opening incident with Tull, who did he think was after him? Why did he feel the need to practice with his guns?
9. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
10. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)