|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After taking Lassiter to Milly's grave, what does Jane wonder aloud to Venters?
(a) If Lassiter knew Milly very well.
(b) If Lassiter was Milly's father.
(c) If Lassiter was Milly's brother.
(d) If Lassiter was Milly's husband.
2. At the beginning of the book, Jane waits for the churchmen. What will the churchmen attack Jane for?
(a) Venters is a terrible employee.
(b) Her right to befriend a Gentile.
(c) Jane doesn't give enough money to the church.
(d) Jane is too rich and needs to give some of her land away.
3. What does Bess tell Venters about the Masked Rider?
(a) That she is the Masked Rider, but she never stole or killed.
(b) That Jerry Card is really the Masked Rider.
(c) That Oldring is really the Masked Rider.
(d) That she is not the real Masked Rider.
4. What does Venters take back to camp with him on his first visit to the cliff dweller's cave?
(a) Bone dust.
(d) Food from the dwellings.
5. Who does Jane think is the "unseen hand"?
(c) The bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lassiter takes Jane to a lookout over her white herd and tells her the herd is moving fast. Why?
2. After the visit from the Bishop, what does Lassiter tell Jane about her employees?
3. Why are there four separate entrances to the Brandt's house?
4. After the conversation with Blake, Jane feels the world closing in on her and admits to Lassiter that sometimes she want to run away with him. How does Lassiter react?
5. Just after the rustlers pass Venters and his dog in the canyon, Ring turns and growls at two riders coming right at them. Who is one of the riders?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jane visits the Brandts in town, the women warn her about her behavior. What are the Mormon's women's concerns with Jane? How do they think she will be punished? How will she be rewarded if she marries Tull? Would her marriage to Tull be the right thing for her religiously?
2. Would you describe Tull's handiwork as a conspiracy? What makes it a conspiracy? Give examples.
3. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
4. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
5. Describe Jane's relationship with Bishop Dyer. How does Jane view Bishop Dyer's connection to God? How was he helpful to her father? Why is Jane torn between the man Dyer and the bishop Dyer?
6. What is the significance of the gold that Jane uses to pay both Judkins and Blake? Where did she get it? Why is she paying these men in gold? Does this say anything about her father?
7. In Chapter 4, why does Judkins say that it is not normal for rustlers to shoot at a rider? Is this a code of ethics or standards practiced by the riders in this story? What does it mean?
8. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
9. Who is the "unseen hand" and what role is he playing in what is happening to Jane and her ranch? Why is the "unseen hand" at work?
10. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)