|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During dinner with Jane and Venters, Lassiter says he is looking for something. What is it?
(a) Something to eat.
(b) A place to stay the night.
(c) The grave of Milly Erne.
(d) Bern Venters.
2. When Bess is better, Venters gets a chance to explore the valley. What animals does he find evidence of?
(b) Beaver, wildcats, and foxes.
3. Venters goes to find the red herd, but he also wants to do something very specific. What is it?
(a) Practice shooting.
(b) Camp and fish.
(c) Find Oldring's retreat.
(d) Sleep under the stars.
4. When Jane asks Lassiter to be her rider, what does that mean?
(a) To guard her house at night.
(b) To ride the sage everyday and look for intruders.
(c) To be in charge of cattle and horses and ranges.
(d) To watch Black Night and Star.
5. What is the opening to Oldring's den?
(a) Through another maze of canyon outlets.
(b) Through the middle of the waterfall.
(c) A high pass.
(d) Underwater through a cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lassiter known for?
2. Who helps Jane as Mrs. Larkin dies?
3. What does Bess tell Venters about the Masked Rider?
4. Just after the rustlers pass Venters and his dog in the canyon, Ring turns and growls at two riders coming right at them. Who is one of the riders?
5. When Jane tells Blake to go to the sage and get all her horses, what information does Blake have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
2. In Chapter 4, why does Judkins say that it is not normal for rustlers to shoot at a rider? Is this a code of ethics or standards practiced by the riders in this story? What does it mean?
3. How did Jane's father make his wealth? What did he own that others needed? How has Jane changed that legacy and what effect has the change had on the people of Cottonwoods?
4. As Bess tells Venters of her relationship with Oldring, does she seem haunted? What about her past does not match with the girl that Venters is getting to know? Is Venters having trouble seeing both sides of Bess? Are there two sides to Bess?
5. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
6. While exploring for the first time, Venters finds evidence of beavers in Surprise Valley and realizes that he must find the the stream where they entered. Why does Venters need to see the where the stream enters Surprise Valley? What is he afraid of?
7. Describe Tull's campaign to pressure Jane into marriage. How does he manipulate other Mormon and non-Mormons to help him with his campaign.
8. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
9. Venter asks Bess, "what were you to Oldring?" How does Bess answer and what does her answer mean? Since Venters stops her before she can explain further, do you think there might be more to her story?
10. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)