|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Venters and Bess are in Surprise Valley, how many days does Venters think Bess will need to lie still?
(a) Just 1.
(c) 3 to 4.
(d) About 8 days.
2. Why does Venters go to Deception Pass every day?
(a) To camp and hunt.
(b) To practice shooting.
(c) To kill the Masked Rider.
(d) To spy on Oldring.
3. As the situation worsens, Jane tells Jerd to only care for only two things. What?
(a) The cattle.
(c) The water for the town.
(d) Black Star and Night.
4. When Jane asks Lassiter to be her rider, what does that mean?
(a) To guard her house at night.
(b) To be in charge of cattle and horses and ranges.
(c) To ride the sage everyday and look for intruders.
(d) To watch Black Night and Star.
5. When Jane's riders disappear, what does Judkins tell her happened to them?
(a) The riders are all dead.
(b) The riders are working for Tull on his ranch.
(c) The riders were "called in" by the churchmen.
(d) The riders aren't gone; they are hiding in Deception Canyon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Venters nurse Bess's fever?
2. When Jane sees the visitor at the Brandt house, why does this person think Jane has not been to church?
3. On her way to Collier Brandt's house, Jane sees Tull. What does he scold her for?
4. When Jane tells Blake to go to the sage and get all her horses, what information does Blake have?
5. Lassiter rides into the white herd to calm them and stop the movement. What happens to Lassiter's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Venter's reaction to Bess finding gold? Why does he feel this way? What freedom can this buy for the couple?
2. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
3. What does Lassiter bring back to Jane after he pursues the men? What does this do to Jane? How does her will to live change?
4. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
5. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
6. Why is Jane packing a special package for Venters? What is this a symbol of? What do you think it means.?
7. How did Jane's father make his wealth? What did he own that others needed? How has Jane changed that legacy and what effect has the change had on the people of Cottonwoods?
8. Lassiter tells Jane he is going to follow Venters to see where he is going. What does he reveal about Milly Erne in this moment? How does this parallel Jane's life?
9. Even though Jane knows that the house has been fired, she doesn't look back. Why? Is this part of her "giving up?"
10. Jane wonders aloud if Lassiter was Milly's husband. Why would this be important? Would this mean that Lassiter was a Mormon?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)