|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the conversation with Blake, Jane feels the world closing in on her and admits to Lassiter that sometimes she want to run away with him. How does Lassiter react?
(a) He tells her that he not longer loves her.
(b) He shakes his head and begins to cry.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He grabs her and pulls her to him, thinking she has just professed her love.
2. When Venters gets into the oval valley, who does he leave to watch his horse?
(c) Ring, the dog.
(d) Whitie, the dog.
3. Just after the rustlers pass Venters and his dog in the canyon, Ring turns and growls at two riders coming right at them. Who is one of the riders?
(b) The Masked Rider.
4. After shooting the Masked Rider, what does Venters discover?
(a) The Rider had no guns.
(b) The Rider is a young boy.
(c) The Rider had a rifle.
(d) The Rider is an old man.
5. What is making the white herd move so quickly?
(a) Someone on the ridge is shooting at them.
(b) Someone on another ridge is spooking them with a white sheet.
(c) Someone on the ridge is yelling.
(d) Someone on the ridge is throwing rocks at them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Venters and Bess are in Surprise Valley, how many days does Venters think Bess will need to lie still?
2. At the beginning of the book, Jane waits for the churchmen. What will the churchmen attack Jane for?
3. When Venters realizes the Masked Rider is alive, he opens his shirt to look at the wound. What does Venters find?
4. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
5. What is the opening to Oldring's den?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Venters returns from hunting, Bess is sitting up in bed and wants to be lifted down. What does this moment signify in their relationship? How are they judging each other at this point in the story?
2. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
3. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
4. When Venters carries Bess up the pass to the hidden valley, he experiences a new strength. What is this strength? What is the source of Venters strength?
5. Describe Tull's campaign to pressure Jane into marriage. How does he manipulate other Mormon and non-Mormons to help him with his campaign.
6. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
7. In Chapter 4, why does Judkins say that it is not normal for rustlers to shoot at a rider? Is this a code of ethics or standards practiced by the riders in this story? What does it mean?
8. Describe Jane's relationship with Bishop Dyer. How does Jane view Bishop Dyer's connection to God? How was he helpful to her father? Why is Jane torn between the man Dyer and the bishop Dyer?
9. Venters sees Oldring and the Masked Rider ride across the edge of Jane's land. Why is this ominous? What do the people know about Oldring?
10. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)