|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Bishop is talking with Jane, Lassiter comes up behind him. What happens?
(a) Jane faints and Lassiter wings the Bishop when he draws his gun.
(b) Jane stands in front of the Bishop so Lassiter will not kill him.
(c) Lassiter hits the Bishop on his head.
(d) The Bishop faints.
2. Jane asks Lassiter to be her friend, but only under one condition. What is the condition?
(a) He must giver her his horse.
(b) He must leave forever.
(c) He must kill Tull for her.
(d) He must not kill any Mormons.
3. When Venters offers to take the wounded girl back to Oldring, what does she say?
(a) "Please, before I die."
(b) "Take me back so I can see the sage once more."
(c) "Just let me die here."
(d) "Don't take me back there."
4. Why has Mrs. Larkin always been afraid to give her daughter to Jane?
(a) She thinks Jane would kidnap her daughter.
(b) She believes Jane would be mean to her daughter.
(c) She is afraid Jane would raise her as a Mormon.
(d) She thinks her daughter will not go willingly.
5. Venters has two dogs. What are their names?
(a) Ring and Whitie.
(b) Whitie and Lassiter.
(c) Oldring and Whitie.
(d) Jane and Ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Venters block the entrance to Surprise Valley?
2. As the situation worsens, Jane tells Jerd to only care for only two things. What?
3. What is the opening to Oldring's den?
4. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
5. Why are there four separate entrances to the Brandt's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jane's relationship with Bishop Dyer. How does Jane view Bishop Dyer's connection to God? How was he helpful to her father? Why is Jane torn between the man Dyer and the bishop Dyer?
2. In Chapter 4, why does Judkins say that it is not normal for rustlers to shoot at a rider? Is this a code of ethics or standards practiced by the riders in this story? What does it mean?
3. Describe Balancing Rock and how it was made to balance. What would happen if the rock is dislodged? How can this protect Venters and Bess now that he knows how to use the rock as a defense? Do you think this is foreshadowing an event?
4. Who is the "unseen hand" and what role is he playing in what is happening to Jane and her ranch? Why is the "unseen hand" at work?
5. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
6. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
7. How did Jane's father make his wealth? What did he own that others needed? How has Jane changed that legacy and what effect has the change had on the people of Cottonwoods?
8. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
9. While exploring for the first time, Venters finds evidence of beavers in Surprise Valley and realizes that he must find the the stream where they entered. Why does Venters need to see the where the stream enters Surprise Valley? What is he afraid of?
10. When Venters returns from hunting, Bess is sitting up in bed and wants to be lifted down. What does this moment signify in their relationship? How are they judging each other at this point in the story?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)