|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jane get her horses?
(a) Venters bought them.
(b) Her father got them in Texas.
(c) Jane bought them.
(d) Her father got them from Nevada Indians.
2. What crime does Tull accuse Venters of?
(a) Involvement in a shooting the night before.
(b) Fighting in the saloon.
(c) Robbing the bank.
(d) Being the Masked Rider.
3. Which horse does Jane give to Lassiter?
(b) Black Night.
4. According to Venters, what has Bishop Dyer done to hurt Venters?
(a) Sent out an edict to ruin him.
(b) Took his guns.
(c) Tried to convert him to Mormonism.
(d) Stole his best horse.
5. When Jane asks Lassiter to stay and eat, why does Lassiter hesitate?
(a) He is shy.
(b) He never eats indoors.
(c) He won't like Jane's cooking.
(d) He knows that the Mormons won't like it and will cause trouble for Jane.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Venters goes into the canyon where he saw the rustlers go, what does he find?
2. When Venters gets into the oval valley, who does he leave to watch his horse?
3. When Venters goes to the cliff dweller's cave the first time, what does he find?
4. When Lassiter appears, what does Jane offer that enrages Tull?
5. What do Jane's women employees take from Withersteen House?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Venters find the openings to the canyons? How does he find Oldring's den?
2. Bess tells Venters that she has memories of women and children. Who do you think these people were? What do you think their relationship was with Bess?
3. Would you describe Tull's handiwork as a conspiracy? What makes it a conspiracy? Give examples.
4. In Chapter 4, why does Judkins say that it is not normal for rustlers to shoot at a rider? Is this a code of ethics or standards practiced by the riders in this story? What does it mean?
5. When Jane visits the Brandts in town, the women warn her about her behavior. What are the Mormon's women's concerns with Jane? How do they think she will be punished? How will she be rewarded if she marries Tull? Would her marriage to Tull be the right thing for her religiously?
6. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
7. When Venters carries Bess up the pass to the hidden valley, he experiences a new strength. What is this strength? What is the source of Venters strength?
8. Once Venters reaches Surprise Valley he skins the rabbit and saves the hide? Why would he want to keep this hide? What feeling is Venters trying to capture and hang on to?
9. Who is the "unseen hand" and what role is he playing in what is happening to Jane and her ranch? Why is the "unseen hand" at work?
10. Venters goes every day to Deception Pass and practices with his guns. Before the opening incident with Tull, who did he think was after him? Why did he feel the need to practice with his guns?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)