|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oldring really do for a living?
(a) Pans and digs for gold.
(b) Owns a cattle ranch.
(c) Trains Arabian horses.
2. How does Venters nurse Bess's fever?
(a) Let's Bess soak her feet in the stream.
(b) Puts ice wrapped in a cloth on her face.
(c) Washes her face, hands and wrists with cool water.
(d) Gives her broth.
3. What does Venters do to get some beef for Bess?
(a) Steals cattle from Oldring.
(b) Returns to Withersteen house and steals eight cattle.
(c) Finds a stray cow and brings him back to Surprise Valley.
(d) Invades a cattle drive and robs eight head of cattle.
4. When Jane hears that her riders left her, she prays. What does she vow after her wrathful prayer?
(a) To kill Tull.
(b) To never marry Tull.
(c) To talk to Tull and reason with him.
(d) To marry Tull.
5. How does Jane pay Blake when he returns to work for her?
(a) She pays him in cash.
(b) She gives him food and a place to sleep.
(c) She pays him in gold.
(d) She is not able to pay him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just after the rustlers pass Venters and his dog in the canyon, Ring turns and growls at two riders coming right at them. Who is one of the riders?
2. What are the signs that Milly gave up the Mormon religion?
3. At the beginning of the book, Jane waits for the churchmen. What will the churchmen attack Jane for?
4. When Jane greets Lassiter and Venters, she has news from town about Tull. What is it?
5. What does Lassiter say when Jane offers him to be a rider for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jane visits the Brandts in town, the women warn her about her behavior. What are the Mormon's women's concerns with Jane? How do they think she will be punished? How will she be rewarded if she marries Tull? Would her marriage to Tull be the right thing for her religiously?
2. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
3. Mrs. Larkin would like for Fay to be raised by Jane, but without Mormon teachings. According to the story, what is Mrs. Larkin really afraid of for her little Fay if she is raised Mormon?
4. Bess tells Venters that she has memories of women and children. Who do you think these people were? What do you think their relationship was with Bess?
5. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
6. How did Jane's father make his wealth? What did he own that others needed? How has Jane changed that legacy and what effect has the change had on the people of Cottonwoods?
7. While exploring for the first time, Venters finds evidence of beavers in Surprise Valley and realizes that he must find the the stream where they entered. Why does Venters need to see the where the stream enters Surprise Valley? What is he afraid of?
8. Compare the entrance to Surprise Valley under the stone bridge and the entrance to the ancient cave dwellers up the steep steps. How are these the same and how are they different? What did they mean to the ancient peoples and how are they important to Venters and Bess?
9. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
10. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)