|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lassiter tells Jane of his past life, what was he?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a Texas Ranger.
(c) He was a farmer.
(d) He was a sheriff.
2. When Jane tells Blake to go to the sage and get all her horses, what information does Blake have?
(a) All the horses are gone.
(b) The horses are resting.
(c) The horses are back in the coral.
(d) The horses are eating.
3. Who's house does Jane visit in the Gentile village?
(b) Jerry Card.
(c) Fay and her mother, Mrs. Larkin.
4. How many cattle are in the red herd?
5. After the conversation with Blake, Jane feels the world closing in on her and admits to Lassiter that sometimes she want to run away with him. How does Lassiter react?
(a) He shakes his head and begins to cry.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He tells her that he not longer loves her.
(d) He grabs her and pulls her to him, thinking she has just professed her love.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bess is better, Venters gets a chance to explore the valley. What animals does he find evidence of?
2. Venters and his dog, Ring, stay in the oval canyon and watch as rustlers enter an opening to another canyon. What does this prove?
3. Who founded the town of Cottonwood?
4. How does Jane pay Blake when he returns to work for her?
5. When Jane hears that her riders left her, she prays. What does she vow after her wrathful prayer?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Bess tells Venters of her relationship with Oldring, does she seem haunted? What about her past does not match with the girl that Venters is getting to know? Is Venters having trouble seeing both sides of Bess? Are there two sides to Bess?
2. Bess tells Venters that she has memories of women and children. Who do you think these people were? What do you think their relationship was with Bess?
3. What is Venter's reaction to Bess finding gold? Why does he feel this way? What freedom can this buy for the couple?
4. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
5. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
6. When Venters arrives back at Jane's house from Surprise Valley, how has Venters changed? How have his feelings toward Jane changed? Why is this important?
7. When Venters carries Bess up the pass to the hidden valley, he experiences a new strength. What is this strength? What is the source of Venters strength?
8. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
9. Why is Jane angered when she meets Bess? What else does Jane discover when she and Lassiter meet with Bess and Venters?
10. How did the loss of Milly affect Lassiter? He talks about traveling and going to the "bad." What did this mean and how is this connected to the loss of his sister?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)