|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jane's father train her to do?
(a) Ride horses.
(b) Run the ranch and manage 100 employees.
(c) Shoot like a man.
2. Why did Milly die?
(a) She died of a broken heart after her daughter disappeared.
(b) She died brokenhearted over Bishop Dyer.
(c) Because she gave up the Mormon religion.
(d) She was sick with a fevor.
3. When Venters goes to the cliff dweller's cave the first time, what does he find?
(a) Pans for cooking.
(b) Bows and arrows.
(c) Pottery and instruments for grinding maize.
4. What does Jane want more than anything else for Lassiter?
(a) For Lassiter to propose.
(b) To let her shoot his guns.
(c) To change his mind about killing Mormons.
(d) For Lassiter to give her back her horse.
5. Lassiter wants to go home? Where is home for Lassiter?
(a) Northern Utah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jane's women employees take from Withersteen House?
2. When Jane hears that her riders left her, she prays. What does she vow after her wrathful prayer?
3. Who founded the town of Cottonwood?
4. How does Venters nurse Bess's fever?
5. Venters has two dogs. What are their names?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the entrance to Surprise Valley under the stone bridge and the entrance to the ancient cave dwellers up the steep steps. How are these the same and how are they different? What did they mean to the ancient peoples and how are they important to Venters and Bess?
2. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
3. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
4. Who is the "unseen hand" and what role is he playing in what is happening to Jane and her ranch? Why is the "unseen hand" at work?
5. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
6. Venter asks Bess, "what were you to Oldring?" How does Bess answer and what does her answer mean? Since Venters stops her before she can explain further, do you think there might be more to her story?
7. When Venters returns from hunting, Bess is sitting up in bed and wants to be lifted down. What does this moment signify in their relationship? How are they judging each other at this point in the story?
8. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
9. What is Jane's main goal with Lassiter? What is she trying to get him to do? How is she using Fay to get what she wants from Lassiter? How is she using Lassiter's attraction to her to get what she wants?
10. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)