|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Venters find the opening to Surprise Valley?
(a) He follows blood drops up the cliff.
(b) Ring goes into the opening and lead the way.
(c) There are small arrows engraved in the rocks leading him up the pass.
(d) He notices ancient marks in the rock that lead up a cliff.
2. When Bess is better, Venters gets a chance to explore the valley. What animals does he find evidence of?
(a) Beaver, wildcats, and foxes.
3. Jane sends Judkins to town to find out about the disappearance of her riders. What does Judkins discover?
(a) There is a band organized to hunt rustlers and Tull's man, Jerry Card, is the leader.
(b) Her riders left Utah.
(c) Her riders are now with Oldring.
(d) Her riders moved to Glaze.
4. While Venters is in Surprise Valley, Jane brings a guest into her home. Who?
(a) Fay and her sick mother.
(c) Bishop Dyer.
(d) Fay alone.
5. As the situation worsens, Jane tells Jerd to only care for only two things. What?
(a) The cattle.
(b) Black Star and Night.
(d) The water for the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lassiter appears, what does Jane offer that enrages Tull?
2. Jane asks Lassiter to be her friend, but only under one condition. What is the condition?
3. What was Jane's vow to Milly Erne?
4. What does Bess say Oldring is doing to hide his true motives?
5. Lassiter rides into the white herd to calm them and stop the movement. What happens to Lassiter's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tull different than the man he pretends to be? How does he play both ends of his conspiracy against Jane?
2. As Bess tells Venters of her relationship with Oldring, does she seem haunted? What about her past does not match with the girl that Venters is getting to know? Is Venters having trouble seeing both sides of Bess? Are there two sides to Bess?
3. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
4. When Venters carries Bess up the pass to the hidden valley, he experiences a new strength. What is this strength? What is the source of Venters strength?
5. Jane is torn between her love for the Mormon church and the reality of the actions of it's leaders. How is this internal conflict reflected in Jane's actions?
6. What is the significance of the gold that Jane uses to pay both Judkins and Blake? Where did she get it? Why is she paying these men in gold? Does this say anything about her father?
7. When Venters returns from hunting, Bess is sitting up in bed and wants to be lifted down. What does this moment signify in their relationship? How are they judging each other at this point in the story?
8. While exploring for the first time, Venters finds evidence of beavers in Surprise Valley and realizes that he must find the the stream where they entered. Why does Venters need to see the where the stream enters Surprise Valley? What is he afraid of?
9. Why does Jane keep Milly's grave overgrown and hidden?
10. When Bess learns of Venters stealing the calves from Oldring, what is she afraid of? Who is she afraid for? What does she think will happen if Venters continues to act so carelessly?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)