|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her way to Collier Brandt's house, Jane sees Tull. What does he scold her for?
(a) For not dressing properly in town.
(b) For not being in church.
(c) For hiring Lassiter.
(d) For not marrying him.
2. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
(c) Judkins the Gentile rider.
(d) The Masked Rider.
3. When Jane tells Blake to go to the sage and get all her horses, what information does Blake have?
(a) All the horses are gone.
(b) The horses are resting.
(c) The horses are back in the coral.
(d) The horses are eating.
4. When Bess is better, Venters gets a chance to explore the valley. What animals does he find evidence of?
(d) Beaver, wildcats, and foxes.
5. Where did Jane get her horses?
(a) Her father got them from Nevada Indians.
(b) Venters bought them.
(c) Jane bought them.
(d) Her father got them in Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane hears that her riders left her, she prays. What does she vow after her wrathful prayer?
2. Lassiter wants to go home? Where is home for Lassiter?
3. After the conversation with Blake, Jane feels the world closing in on her and admits to Lassiter that sometimes she want to run away with him. How does Lassiter react?
4. Who's house does Jane visit in the Gentile village?
5. What are the signs that Milly gave up the Mormon religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Venters find the openings to the canyons? How does he find Oldring's den?
2. Venters wonders if Oldring is Mormon. What effect would that have on the story?
3. Once Venters reaches Surprise Valley he skins the rabbit and saves the hide? Why would he want to keep this hide? What feeling is Venters trying to capture and hang on to?
4. The first appearance of Judkins, the Gentile rider "means hell." Why do you think this is true?
5. Jane wonders aloud if Lassiter was Milly's husband. Why would this be important? Would this mean that Lassiter was a Mormon?
6. In Utah the Mormons are usually prosperous, while the Gentiles barely make enough to eat. Do you think Jane's father made his money in a way that hurt or used Gentiles in the area?
7. Who is Jane's one lone defender when Tull begins to pressure Jane into marriage? How can one person help Jane? Is defending Jane a job that requires more people?
8. Who was Milly Erne and why did she refuse to teach at the school? What impact did this have on Milly's life?
9. When Venters returns from hunting, Bess is sitting up in bed and wants to be lifted down. What does this moment signify in their relationship? How are they judging each other at this point in the story?
10. When Jane visits the Brandts in town, the women warn her about her behavior. What are the Mormon's women's concerns with Jane? How do they think she will be punished? How will she be rewarded if she marries Tull? Would her marriage to Tull be the right thing for her religiously?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)