|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Bess when she was taken from her mother?
2. How do Venters and Bess know the storms are over?
(a) The purple clouds turn to white.
(b) They know the rainy season is over.
(c) It does not rain for four days.
(d) Ring is energetic.
3. Where are Venter's mother and sister?
4. Bess and Venters return to the cliff dwellings and find something more. What?
(a) Stored food.
(b) Metal instruments for farming.
(c) A secret hiding place inside the caves.
(d) Human bone.
5. As Bess and Venters are making their getaway, what does Bess see on the horizon?
(b) The sage.
(d) A band of riders.
6. What does Venters remember about Bess as they are racing away?
(a) That she is too young to marry.
(b) That she is not a very good rider.
(c) That she is not a fast rider.
(d) That she is the Masked Rider.
7. After Lassiter visits Surprise Valley, what is the plan Venters comes up with?
(a) Escape to Salt Lake.
(b) Go to town for horse in disguise for Bess.
(c) Steal horses and run to California.
(d) Escape to Texas.
8. After the race with Jerry Card, what does Venters do next?
(a) He goes to Oldring's house.
(b) He rides down Main Street on Wrangle.
(c) He returns to Surprise Valley that evening.
(d) He rides down Main street on Black Star.
9. After the race, when Venters arrives at Tull's house, what does Tull do?
(a) Invites him in.
(b) Goes inside and locks the door.
(c) Challenges him to a duel.
(d) Shoots him.
10. What happens to Bess and Venters at the end of the race?
(a) They get away as the others give up the pursuit.
(b) They hide in the sage for the night.
(c) They hide in the Withersteen house.
(d) They return to Surprise Valley.
11. How does Jane react at first when her and Lassiter meet Venters and Bess?
(a) She forgives Venters.
(b) She is angry at Venters.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is untrusting.
12. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
(a) All her clothes.
(c) All her prized horses.
(d) Her jewelry and some gold.
13. How did Oldring feel about Bess?
(a) He was cruel to her.
(b) He loved her as a daughter.
(c) Like a slave.
(d) He resented her.
14. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
15. When Venters sees Jerry Card on this horse, what does Venters do?
(a) He talks to him and convinces him to give up the horse.
(b) He runs him off a cliff.
(c) He chases him.
(d) He shoots him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane say to Lassiter to convince him to roll the stone?
2. What do Venters and Bess hear as they take a last look at the sun setting over the sage?
3. After Mrs. Larkin dies, Jane continues to hear something in the fields by her house. What does she hear?
4. As Venters and Bess ride away, what does Jane wave?
5. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)