|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
(a) She keeps them for herself.
(b) She loads them.
(c) She takes them.
(d) Puts them back on him.
2. What does Venters remember about Bess as they are racing away?
(a) That she is not a fast rider.
(b) That she is not a very good rider.
(c) That she is too young to marry.
(d) That she is the Masked Rider.
3. In the final pursuit of Bess and Venters, who is on the white horse?
4. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
(b) All her prized horses.
(c) Her jewelry and some gold.
(d) All her clothes.
5. What do Bess and Venters take back with them to their camp?
6. After Bess is well, what do she and Venters do everyday in Surprise Valley?
(a) Worry about what will happen next.
(b) Worry that Bess will still die.
(c) Build a home where the cliff dwellers were.
(d) Wander and explore.
7. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
(a) Several years.
8. When Venters confronts Oldring what does he yell across the room?
(a) "A word for you--from Bess!"
(b) "Prepare to die!"
(c) "A word for you--from your Masked Rider!"
(d) "Get down!"
9. When Venters is ready to return to Cottonwoods, Bess and Venters stand by Balancing Rock and she tells him her secret. What is it?
(a) She is scared.
(b) Oldring was her brother.
(c) She is not the Masked Rider.
(d) She loves him.
10. Venters and Bess take cover from the storm in their cave and Bess, afraid, snuggles with Venters. What does he know in this moment?
(a) That Bess will marry him.
(b) That Bess loves him.
(c) That Bess will return someday to Oldring.
(d) That Bess is afraid of him.
11. How does Jane react at first when her and Lassiter meet Venters and Bess?
(a) She is angry at Venters.
(b) She forgives Venters.
(c) She is untrusting.
(d) She is confused.
12. What does Venters tell Lassiter as he leaves Surprise Valley?
(a) That Bess is dead.
(b) That Bess is injured.
(c) That Bess is leaving.
(d) That Bess is kidnapped.
13. The morning after the storm, Venters wants to return to Cottonwoods, but what are his reasons?
(a) He must kill Oldring.
(b) He must break his engagement to Jane.
(c) He must also get fresh horses.
(d) He must talk to Lassiter.
14. When Jane faints for the second time in the novel she awakes to Judkins. What does he tell her?
(a) Lassiter killed Dyer.
(b) Lassitre retreived Fay.
(c) Lassiter is dead.
(d) Lassiter escaped from Tull.
15. After the race, when Venters arrives at Tull's house, what does Tull do?
(a) Challenges him to a duel.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Goes inside and locks the door.
(d) Invites him in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
2. Why does Lassiter not want to push Balancing Rock?
3. When Venters sees Jerry Card on this horse, what does Venters do?
4. Why did Milly Erne finally leave Salt Lake?
5. After his stay in Surprise Valley, what does Venters tell Tull about the red herd?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)