|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jane react at first when her and Lassiter meet Venters and Bess?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She forgives Venters.
(c) She is untrusting.
(d) She is angry at Venters.
2. When Venters confronts Oldring what does he yell across the room?
(a) "A word for you--from Bess!"
(b) "A word for you--from your Masked Rider!"
(c) "Prepare to die!"
(d) "Get down!"
3. The morning after the storm, Venters wants to return to Cottonwoods, but what are his reasons?
(a) He must kill Oldring.
(b) He must also get fresh horses.
(c) He must break his engagement to Jane.
(d) He must talk to Lassiter.
4. What does Venters realize the morning after the storm?
(a) That he loves Bess.
(b) That he still loves Jane and must return to her.
(c) That he's afraid of storms.
(d) That he needs more beef.
5. When Lassiter finally removes his guns to show Jane how much he loves her, what does she do?
(a) Puts them back on him.
(b) She keeps them for herself.
(c) She takes them.
(d) She loads them.
6. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
7. After Lassiter visits Surprise Valley, what is the plan Venters comes up with?
(a) Go to town for horse in disguise for Bess.
(b) Escape to Texas.
(c) Escape to Salt Lake.
(d) Steal horses and run to California.
8. After Venters says goodbye to Lassiter, what new worry comes to his mind?
(a) That he never wants to leave.
(b) That he may still love Jane.
(c) That he can be tracked to Surprise Valley.
(d) That Lassiter will betray him.
9. What did Lassiter think of Frank Erne?
(a) He hated his religion.
(b) He thought Frank was a lousy preacher.
(c) He liked him and was not bothered by the religion.
(d) He thought Frank was an idiot.
10. As Bess and Venters are making their getaway, what does Bess see on the horizon?
(a) The sage.
(d) A band of riders.
11. After Bess is well, what do she and Venters do everyday in Surprise Valley?
(a) Worry about what will happen next.
(b) Wander and explore.
(c) Worry that Bess will still die.
(d) Build a home where the cliff dwellers were.
12. Before Venters returns to Surprise Valley, what does Jane have for him?
(a) Withersteen House.
(b) A package packed by her.
(c) Her hand in marriage.
(d) A pocketwatch that belonged to her father.
13. What do Venters and Bess hear as they take a last look at the sun setting over the sage?
(a) A coming storm.
(b) Horses running.
(c) Bells from the church in Glaze.
(d) A long thundering sound.
14. After Lassiter leaves Surprise Valley, what is the secret Bess reveals to Venters?
(a) She was married to Oldring.
(b) She has gold from the valley.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She does not love him.
15. How may days does Venters tell Bess that she must wait for him to return from Cottonwood before she knows he is dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lassiter tells Jane the story of his search for Milly, what terrible secret does Jane reveal?
2. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, what does Jane take with her?
3. Where does Lassiter take Jane when they flee Cottonwood?
4. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, who does she give Bells to?
5. In Surprise Valley, what does Venters confess to Lassiter?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)