|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lassiter do to Withersteen house when he and Jane flee?
(a) He throws water from the spring all over the house.
(b) He fires the house.
(c) He blows up the house.
(d) He does nothing to the house.
2. What horse trick does Jerry Card do while Venters races him?
(a) He ropes another horse while riding.
(b) He jumps down and back up on the horse while riding.
(c) He switches horses while the horses are running.
(d) He stands in the saddle.
3. Venters arrives from Surprise Valley to tell Jane what?
(a) Venters stole cattle from the red herd.
(b) Venters is jealous of Lassiter.
(c) Venters is living in Surprise Valley with a girl.
(d) Venters knows a deal was made between Tull and Oldring.
4. Why did Milly Erne finally leave Salt Lake?
(a) She escaped to the north.
(b) She got a job in Cottonwoods.
(c) She went home with a man she had come to love.
(d) Her daughter was kidnapped, and she followed her to Cottonwoods.
5. When Jane faints for the second time in the novel she awakes to Judkins. What does he tell her?
(a) Lassiter killed Dyer.
(b) Lassitre retreived Fay.
(c) Lassiter is dead.
(d) Lassiter escaped from Tull.
6. After his stay in Surprise Valley, what does Venters tell Tull about the red herd?
(a) He saw the red herd run off a cliff.
(b) He stole from the red herd.
(c) He knows about Jerry Card stealing the red herd as part of the deal Tull made with Oldring.
(d) He milled the red herd.
7. What does Venters remember about Bess as they are racing away?
(a) That she is not a very good rider.
(b) That she is not a fast rider.
(c) That she is too young to marry.
(d) That she is the Masked Rider.
8. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
(a) Several years.
9. What does Venters tell Lassiter as he leaves Surprise Valley?
(a) That Bess is injured.
(b) That Bess is dead.
(c) That Bess is leaving.
(d) That Bess is kidnapped.
10. When Venters arrives at Withersteen House from Surprise Vallley, what will he do if Jane stops defending Tull?
(a) He will befriend Tull.
(b) He promises to talk to Tull.
(c) He promises to not draw on Tull.
(d) He will take care of Tull when he is old.
11. How do Venters and Bess know the storms are over?
(a) Ring is energetic.
(b) The purple clouds turn to white.
(c) They know the rainy season is over.
(d) It does not rain for four days.
12. When Venters returns to Surprise Valley, who follows him?
13. After Venters says goodbye to Lassiter, what new worry comes to his mind?
(a) That he may still love Jane.
(b) That Lassiter will betray him.
(c) That he never wants to leave.
(d) That he can be tracked to Surprise Valley.
14. What do Venters and Bess hear as they take a last look at the sun setting over the sage?
(a) A coming storm.
(b) Bells from the church in Glaze.
(c) Horses running.
(d) A long thundering sound.
15. The morning after the storm, Venters wants to return to Cottonwoods, but what are his reasons?
(a) He must talk to Lassiter.
(b) He must break his engagement to Jane.
(c) He must kill Oldring.
(d) He must also get fresh horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Oldring feel about Bess?
2. In the end, what does Venters do to Oldring?
3. In Surprise Valley, what does Venters confess to Lassiter?
4. Why does Lassiter not want to push Balancing Rock?
5. When Bess and Venters remember Surprise Valley they agree to return someday, but what if Balancing Rock falls?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)