|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Venters and Bess hear as they take a last look at the sun setting over the sage?
(a) A long thundering sound.
(b) Bells from the church in Glaze.
(c) A coming storm.
(d) Horses running.
2. What horse trick does Jerry Card do while Venters races him?
(a) He ropes another horse while riding.
(b) He jumps down and back up on the horse while riding.
(c) He switches horses while the horses are running.
(d) He stands in the saddle.
3. Where are Venter's mother and sister?
4. Why did Milly Erne finally leave Salt Lake?
(a) She escaped to the north.
(b) She got a job in Cottonwoods.
(c) She went home with a man she had come to love.
(d) Her daughter was kidnapped, and she followed her to Cottonwoods.
5. Venters returns to Surprise Valley with supplies for how long?
(b) Several years.
6. Who was Lassiter having a drink with in the saloon?
7. What do Bess and Venters take back with them to their camp?
8. What does Lassiter do to Withersteen house when he and Jane flee?
(a) He throws water from the spring all over the house.
(b) He blows up the house.
(c) He fires the house.
(d) He does nothing to the house.
9. Lassiter leaves Jane for a while after they flee Cottonwood. What does he return with?
10. In Surprise Valley, what does Venters confess to Lassiter?
(a) That Bess is an evil woman.
(b) That Bess is Oldring's sister.
(c) That he loves Bess.
(d) That he is leaving Bess.
11. How do Venters and Bess know the storms are over?
(a) They know the rainy season is over.
(b) The purple clouds turn to white.
(c) It does not rain for four days.
(d) Ring is energetic.
12. The morning after the storm, Venters wants to return to Cottonwoods, but what are his reasons?
(a) He must also get fresh horses.
(b) He must talk to Lassiter.
(c) He must break his engagement to Jane.
(d) He must kill Oldring.
13. What is Venters thinking about as he races across the sage?
(a) He thinks of his childhood.
(b) He remembers stories he's heard about Bess.
(c) That he's ahead of Bess.
(d) He remembers nursing Bess back to health.
14. When Venters returns with the horses after the race, what news does he hear from his friend?
(a) That Lassiter is in love with Jane.
(b) That Lassiter stole from Jane.
(c) That Lassiter left town.
(d) That Lassiter killed Tull.
15. Who tells Bess about the fate of her father?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane tells Lassiter she wants to go away with him, what does she say to try to convince him?
2. Bess and Venters return to the cliff dwellings and find something more. What?
3. In the final pursuit of Bess and Venters, who is on the white horse?
4. When Jane and Lassiter flee Withersteen house, who does she give Bells to?
5. What does Bess want Venters to call her after she finds out about her mother?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)