|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who founded the town of Cottonwood?
(b) Jane's father.
(c) Bishop Dyer.
2. What is Withersteen House?
(a) Lassiter's house.
(b) Tull's house.
(c) Jane's house.
(d) Biship Dyer's house.
3. What is the opening to Oldring's den?
(a) A high pass.
(b) Underwater through a cave.
(c) Through the middle of the waterfall.
(d) Through another maze of canyon outlets.
4. What relationship does Venters assume that Bess had with Oldring?
(a) She was his lover.
(b) She was never around Oldring.
(c) She was one of his rustlers.
(d) She was his sister.
5. Why does Jane not take care of Milly's grave?
(a) Milly was not family.
(b) Milly told Jane not to bother with it.
(c) She wants to keep it hidden.
(d) Jane doesn't take care of her land very well.
6. Who does Jane think is the "unseen hand"?
(d) The bishop.
7. Jane asks Lassiter to be her friend, but only under one condition. What is the condition?
(a) He must not kill any Mormons.
(b) He must kill Tull for her.
(c) He must leave forever.
(d) He must giver her his horse.
8. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
(a) Judkins the Gentile rider.
(d) The Masked Rider.
9. When Lassiter tells Jane of his past life, what was he?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a sheriff.
(c) He was a farmer.
(d) He was a Texas Ranger.
10. How does Jane pay Blake when he returns to work for her?
(a) She is not able to pay him.
(b) She gives him food and a place to sleep.
(c) She pays him in cash.
(d) She pays him in gold.
11. What relationship did Bishop Dyer have with Jane's father?
(a) He was her father's best friend.
(b) He was a teacher to her father.
(c) He was a counselor to her father.
(d) He did not know Jane's father very well.
12. What does Jane want more than anything else for Lassiter?
(a) For Lassiter to propose.
(b) To let her shoot his guns.
(c) For Lassiter to give her back her horse.
(d) To change his mind about killing Mormons.
13. After dinner, Venters goes to the grove to sleep. Who does he see riding through?
(a) Oldring and the Masked Rider.
(d) Jane's women who work in her house.
14. Lassiter takes Jane to a lookout over her white herd and tells her the herd is moving fast. Why?
(a) They are following some dogs.
(b) The rustlers are taking them to the canyon.
(c) They are stampeding.
(d) They are following Lassiter.
15. Venters goes to find the red herd, but he also wants to do something very specific. What is it?
(a) Camp and fish.
(b) Sleep under the stars.
(c) Practice shooting.
(d) Find Oldring's retreat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which horse does Jane give to Venters to go find the red herd?
2. What do Jane's women employees take from Withersteen House?
3. How many cattle are in the red herd?
4. When Jane sees the visitor at the Brandt house, why does this person think Jane has not been to church?
5. What ancient discovery does Venters find in Surprise Valley?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)