|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ancient discovery does Venters find in Surprise Valley?
(a) Ancient rock formations.
(b) Rock tablet with ancient writings.
(c) Prehistoric animal bones.
(d) Ancient cliff dwellers.
2. When Venters takes Bess to Surprise Valley, she awakens and think she hears a waterfall. What is she really hearing?
(a) The stream running through the valley.
(b) Ancient voices.
(c) Shooting in the distance.
(d) The wind in the valley.
3. As the situation worsens, Jane tells Jerd to only care for only two things. What?
(a) The cattle.
(b) The water for the town.
(c) Black Star and Night.
4. Venters has two dogs. What are their names?
(a) Oldring and Whitie.
(b) Whitie and Lassiter.
(c) Ring and Whitie.
(d) Jane and Ring.
5. What does Mary Brandt, Janes friend, urge her to do when Jane visits her?
(a) Marry Venters.
(b) Become a Gentile.
(c) Marry Tull.
(d) Marry Bishop Dyer.
6. When Jane asks Lassiter to stay and eat, why does Lassiter hesitate?
(a) He never eats indoors.
(b) He won't like Jane's cooking.
(c) He is shy.
(d) He knows that the Mormons won't like it and will cause trouble for Jane.
7. What are the signs that Milly gave up the Mormon religion?
(a) She quit teaching and fought against Mormon ways of raising a girl.
(b) Her headstone has no Mormon symbols.
(c) She told Jane she gave up the religion.
(d) She taught in a Gentile school.
8. After the conversation with Blake, Jane feels the world closing in on her and admits to Lassiter that sometimes she want to run away with him. How does Lassiter react?
(a) He grabs her and pulls her to him, thinking she has just professed her love.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He tells her that he not longer loves her.
(d) He shakes his head and begins to cry.
9. When Venters asks Bess what she did when she wasn't riding with Oldring, what does she say?
(a) The rode horses alone.
(b) She stayed with a woman and her children.
(c) The rustlers took care of her.
(d) She was shut up in a cabin.
10. When Jane hears that her riders left her, she prays. What does she vow after her wrathful prayer?
(a) To kill Tull.
(b) To never marry Tull.
(c) To talk to Tull and reason with him.
(d) To marry Tull.
11. What do Jane's women employees take from Withersteen House?
(a) A painting of her father.
(b) Her records and deeds.
(c) Her Arabian horses.
12. While Venters is in Surprise Valley, Jane brings a guest into her home. Who?
(a) Fay alone.
(b) Fay and her sick mother.
(c) Bishop Dyer.
13. What does the Bishop say Jane's father wanted for her?
(a) To leave Cottonwood.
(b) To marry Tull.
(c) To race the horses he left her.
(d) To marry Dyer.
14. What does Lassiter say when Jane offers him to be a rider for her?
(a) He agrees.
(b) He declines.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He kisses her.
15. When Venters gets into the oval valley, who does he leave to watch his horse?
(b) Ring, the dog.
(d) Whitie, the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship does Venters assume that Bess had with Oldring?
2. When Venters realizes the Masked Rider is alive, he opens his shirt to look at the wound. What does Venters find?
3. Why does Venters want Bess to get well?
4. Lassiter rides into the white herd to calm them and stop the movement. What happens to Lassiter's horse?
5. Jane sends Judkins to town to find out about the disappearance of her riders. What does Judkins discover?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)