|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Venters nurse Bess's fever?
(a) Let's Bess soak her feet in the stream.
(b) Puts ice wrapped in a cloth on her face.
(c) Washes her face, hands and wrists with cool water.
(d) Gives her broth.
2. Who's house does Jane visit in the Gentile village?
(a) Fay and her mother, Mrs. Larkin.
(c) Jerry Card.
3. When Bishop Dyer appears at Jane's house, why is he upset?
(a) He wants Withersteen House to be given to the church.
(b) He heard that Jane will raise Fay and he wants her raised as a Mormon.
(c) He wants Jane to marry him.
(d) Jane has cut off the water to Cottonwood.
4. Why does Venters want Bess to get well?
(a) He wants to find out her story.
(b) He thinks she can lead him to Oldring.
(c) He thinks she is rich.
(d) He doesn't want to be responsible for killing an unarmed woman.
5. How does Venters block the entrance to Surprise Valley?
(a) He stacks rocks up to cover the entrance.
(b) He builds a makeshift fence.
(c) He leaves the dogs to guard the entrance.
(d) He covers it with thorny branches.
6. Lassiter comes to Jane to inform her that he found her white herd. Jane changes and goes to mount her horse. How does she mount her horse?
(a) She mounts him with Lassiter's help.
(b) She mounts him from a large rock.
(c) The horse kneels down for Jane to mount.
(d) She mounts him from her porch.
7. Lassiter takes Jane to a lookout over her white herd and tells her the herd is moving fast. Why?
(a) They are following some dogs.
(b) The rustlers are taking them to the canyon.
(c) They are following Lassiter.
(d) They are stampeding.
8. When Venters goes into the canyon where he saw the rustlers go, what does he find?
(a) A river.
(b) A waterfall that looks like the end of the trail.
(c) Another canyon with multiple outlets.
(d) Oldring himself in his campsite.
9. Which horse does Jane give to Lassiter?
(b) Black Night.
10. When Jane and Venters leave Lassiter at the grave and are walking back, they see a rider. Who?
(c) The Masked Rider.
(d) Judkins the Gentile rider.
11. What was Jane's vow to Milly Erne?
(a) That she would find her daughter.
(b) That she would avenge her death.
(c) That she would never let any murder happen again.
(d) That if a man ever came to avenge her death, Jane would stop him.
12. When Venters asks Bess what she did when she wasn't riding with Oldring, what does she say?
(a) The rode horses alone.
(b) She stayed with a woman and her children.
(c) She was shut up in a cabin.
(d) The rustlers took care of her.
13. What does Bess say Oldring is doing to hide his true motives?
(a) Shooting men.
(b) Terrorizing towns.
(c) Keeping Bess.
(d) Rustling cattle.
14. What is the opening to Oldring's den?
(a) A high pass.
(b) Through another maze of canyon outlets.
(c) Through the middle of the waterfall.
(d) Underwater through a cave.
15. Venters and his dog, Ring, stay in the oval canyon and watch as rustlers enter an opening to another canyon. What does this prove?
(a) There is water through the opening.
(b) The Oval is really shaped like a hand with fingers.
(c) The opening is Oldring's den.
(d) Nothing. The canyons all go in a circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime does Tull accuse Venters of?
2. What ancient discovery does Venters find in Surprise Valley?
3. Why does Venters go to Deception Pass every day?
4. While Venters is in Surprise Valley, Jane brings a guest into her home. Who?
5. Who founded the town of Cottonwood?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)