Short Answer Key
Chapters 1 - 3
1. At the beginning of the book, Jane waits for the churchmen. What will the churchmen attack Jane for?
Her right to befriend a Gentile.
2. What is Withersteen House?
3. What crime does Tull accuse Venters of?
Involvement in a shooting the night before.
4. What happened in this area of Southern Utah in 1871?
Villages to the north of Cottonwood rose up against Gentile settlers.
5. When Lassiter appears, what does Jane offer that enrages Tull?
Jane offers to water Lassiter's horse.
6. When Lassiter appears, how do Tull's men know that he is a gunman?
He crouches in a gunman's position to ready for shooting.
7. When Jane asks Lassiter to stay and eat, why does Lassiter hesitate?
He knows that the Mormons won't like it and will cause trouble for Jane.
8. What is Lassiter known for?
This section contains 3,219 words|
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)