* Chapter 1
* Jane Withersteen is awaiting the churchmen who will contest her right to befriend a Gentile.
* Jane's father founded the area in southern Utah where she lives in Withersteen House.
* Withersteen House is set on Amber Spring; the village of Cottenwoods is near.
* In 1871 the villages to the north of Cottonwoods, Glaze, Stone Bridge, and Sterling rose up against Gentile settlers.
* Tull, a church elder, arrives with some riders to fetch Venters, who is suspected of involvement in a shooting the night before.
* Jane proclaims Venters innocence.
* Tull scolds Jane, saying that she is throwing away her love on all the Gentiles.
* Tull's men come with Venters and he is tied.
* Venters says that Tull wants Jane as another of his wives because of her wealth.
* Tull says he is going to whip Venters.
* Jane appeals to Tull with no luck and finally prays aloud.
This section contains 2,968 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)