Chapters 1 - 3
• Chapter 1
• Jane Withersteen is awaiting the churchmen who will contest her right to befriend a Gentile.
• Jane's father founded the area in southern Utah where she lives in Withersteen House.
• Withersteen House is set on Amber Spring; the village of Cottenwoods is near.
• In 1871 the villages to the north of Cottonwoods, Glaze, Stone Bridge, and Sterling rose up against Gentile settlers.
• Tull, a church elder, arrives with some riders to fetch Venters, who is suspected of involvement in a shooting the night before.
• Jane proclaims Venters innocence.
• Tull scolds Jane, saying that she is throwing away her love on all the Gentiles.
• Tull's men come with Venters and he is tied.
• Venters says that Tull wants Jane as another of his wives because of her wealth.
• Tull says he is going to whip Venters.
• Jane appeals to Tull with no luck and finally prays aloud...
This section contains 2,976 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)