|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Naduah do when she learns her Indian family has all died in Chapter 49?
2. What name is given to Wanderer's band?
3. Why do Comanche boys go on vision quests?
4. What does Naduah dislike about the reaction of the other girls upon Wanderer's return in Chapter 35?
5. Why does Wanderer tell Naduah he has returned to the Wasp band in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Naduah find herself a captive of the white man? Who led them to Naduah, therefore fulfilling his promise to Wanderer?
2. What is significant about the man Naduah kills during a raid by white soldiers?
3. Why does Wanderer's raiding party not use guns and what is the result?
4. How do the Indians prefer to live their lives?
5. Why does Pahayuca make the decision to leave the reservation?
6. What happens between Wanderer and his father after the failed battle with the white man's five shooters?
7. How does Wanderer react when Len Williams offers to pay a ransom for Naduah?
8. What is Plum Creek? What happens there?
9. Why do the Comanche find themselves forced to trespass on Tanawa territory?
10. Where is Naduah taken after her capture? For what purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Cynthia Ann Parker? Why is Cynthia Ann kidnapped by the Comanche Indians? What was Cynthia doing at Parker's Fort in the first place? What do the Comanche intend to do with her? Why did the Indians target children for captivity? What is Cynthia's role among the Indians? Why does Cynthia adjust to life with the Indians so quickly? Is this because she is a child or because she disliked her previous situation?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cynthia remain with the Indians for so long? Why does Cynthia marry an Indian warrior? Does Cynthia love her husband? What is life like for Cynthia? How might it have been different had she not been taken by the Indians? Could Cynthia have run away and returned to the white world? If so, why did she not? Is Cynthia a bad person for adopting the Indian way of life? Why do the white men look down on Cynthia when they rescue her?
Essay Topic 3
Cynthia Ann Parker's character changes as the novel progresses. Discuss character growth. How does the author show the reader that Cynthia/Naduah has grown and changed? How does Cynthia forget her white roots and embrace her Indian way of life? How does the author show growth in John Parker/Bear Cub? Why does Bear Cub choose a different path than his sister? What does that say about his own personal growth? How does Rachel's story contrast with Cynthia's? Does this show growth for Cynthia? For Rachel?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)