|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Wanderer take from the raid in Chapter 50?
2. Who have the soldiers killed in Chapter 53?
3. Why is the body of this character in Chapter 44 who died of cholera not buried, but burned?
4. What is the name of Naduah and Wanderer's second child?
5. Why is Naduah caught by the raiders in Chapter 53?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Comanche find themselves forced to trespass on Tanawa territory?
2. Why does Naduah agree to go with Cynthia Ann Parker's uncle after her capture by white soldiers?
3. Why does Bear Cub vow vengeance against Elder James Parker? What does Elder's actions say about white man's feeling toward Indians?
4. Why is Naduah angry when Wanderer returns to the Wasp in order to find a wife?
5. Why does Wanderer's raiding party not use guns and what is the result?
6. Where is Naduah taken after her capture? For what purpose?
7. What does Wanderer convinces the mayordomo of a New Mexico Indian tribe he must do?
8. What decision does Bear Cub make in chapter 47 that Naduah deeply disagrees with, causing her to disown him as her brother?
9. What promise does Placido make when he faces Wanderer during a raid by white soldiers?
10. Why is Naduah afraid of a group of white traders who come to the Naconi camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the search for the white captives by white society. Why do they not search for the Parkers immediately? Why do they pay a ransom for Rachel and John upon their discovery? Do the traders who search for the captives have honest intentions? Do the white captives want to return to their homes and families? Why or why not? How does Rachel feel when she goes back to white society? Why does she die so young? Could Rachel's husband have waited longer for her? Why did he not?
Essay Topic 2
What is white man's disease? How does white man's disease spread to the Indians? How does Neduah keep smallpox from spreading through the Wasp band? Which disease finally kills Old Owl? How does Bear Cub react to this knowledge? How does Bear Cub contract this disease? Does he survive? What disease kills Neduah's Indian parents and grandmother? How does she react to this news? Could this devastation have been prevented?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following elements of the novel:
2) Point of view
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)