|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Naduah a deerskin dress with bells during her first year with the Comanche?
2. What does Naduah spent the winter of 1839 hunting?
3. Why is a crest placed on an Indian's arrow?
4. What act usually makes an agreement unbreakable between two Comanche warriors?
5. Why does this man refuse to help rescue the Parkers' captured family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Parker? What is his life like with the Comanche?
2. What group of Indians raid Parker's Fort? Why?
3. What new name is Cynthia given upon her arrival with the Comanche? What does it mean?
4. Who do the Comanche take captive during the raid on Parker's Fort?
5. Who saves the Medicine Woman from a flood?
6. Why does Wanderer tell Naduah that the raid on Parker's Fort took place?
7. What medical procedure does Naduah assist on that demonstrates her healing abilities? Who has taught Naduah about medicine?
8. How large is the combination of the Wasp and Old Owl's bands when they winter together?
9. Who entrusts Naduah with his war gear after the successful raid on the People Eaters?
10. Why do six Indian bands agree to go to San Antonio in the Autumn of 1839?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of Cynthia Ann Parker is based on fact. How has the author fictionalized the story? What changes were made? For what reason? How much of this novel is based on fact? How does the author present the true facts of the novel? Did the author stay close to the truth?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall theme of Cynthia Ann Parker's life? Why did she become so comfortable with the Indians? Why was this looked down on by white society? Why did white people have such a hard time understanding the Indian way of life? Why did the white people fear Indians? Were all Indians cruel to the whites? What caused the raid that took Cynthia into Indian captivity? Did Cynthia consider herself a captive? How might relations between whites and Indians have been handled differently? Should they have been?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following elements of the novel:
2) Point of view
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)