|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez moves into graduate school, what does he realize about his education?
(a) He is afraid of failing in school.
(b) His parents will never be proud of his accomplishments.
(c) He is the most educated person in his family.
(d) He is using it to hide from his life.
2. Where does Rodriguez believe English should be spoken?
(a) In the classroom.
(b) In public.
(d) In private, with family or close friends.
3. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(b) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(c) Some words are more intimate than others.
(d) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
4. Does Rodriguez think his religious education had the effect it was supposed to?
(a) No, because he eventually stops practicing the religion.
(b) Yes, because it kept him involved with the religion.
(c) No, because the schools were supposed to give him a broader view.
(d) Yes, because he gets a good education.
5. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He had good teachers.
(b) He was just very lucky.
(c) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
(d) He worked very hard.
6. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) How did you manage your success?
(b) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(c) Can I have your autograph?
(d) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
7. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
(b) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
(c) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
(d) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
8. How does Rodriguez feel about his religious education?
(a) It isolated him.
(b) It helped him become successful.
(c) It kept him closer to his parents.
(d) It changed his life.
9. What does religion do for his parents?
(a) It helps them not worry about the future.
(b) It helps them stay connected to the community.
(c) It gives them strength to get through the day.
(d) It encourages them to think about the meaning of their lives.
10. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
(a) He goes to mass every week.
(b) He becomes an altar boy.
(c) He studies to become a priest.
(d) He reads the Bible aloud in church.
11. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, how does Rodriguez describe his relationship with his parents?
(a) They are "the old way and the new way."
(b) They are "culturally separated."
(c) They are "warm but uncomfortable."
(d) They are "strangers and relatives."
12. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
(a) In his own apartment.
(b) With his parents.
(c) With his girlfriend.
(d) With his brother.
13. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) She asks questions and is pleased when he wins awards.
(b) She does not care if he does well in school.
(c) She tries to help him with his homework.
(d) She is embarrassed because her smart son does not speak Spanish well.
14. What do fellow students think of the scholarship boy?
(a) They are proud of his efforts.
(b) They think he is the teacher's pet.
(c) They think he works too hard.
(d) They think he needs to work harder.
15. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
(a) Richard should speak only Spanish.
(b) Richard should learn to speak only in English to be more successful.
(c) Spanish and English are equally good languages.
(d) Richard needs to remember his Spanish, even if that hurts his education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
2. What does Rodriguez say education does to the scholarship boy?
3. Where does Rodriguez start school?
4. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
5. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)