|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rodriguez told when he asks questions about the church?
(a) God will answer all your questions.
(b) Asking questions is a good thing to do.
(c) Do not ask questions; just memorize the right answers.
(d) Only ask questions of the priests and nuns.
2. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(b) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(c) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
(d) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
3. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
(a) English everywhere.
(b) Spanish everywhere.
(c) English at home, Spanish in public.
(d) Spanish at home, English in public.
4. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
(a) To complain about the bad schools he attended.
(b) To explain how hard school is for children who do not speak English.
(c) To study how he became the person he is today.
(d) To encourage other people to get a good education.
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
(a) He does not think about it too much.
(b) He wants to know more about it.
(c) He is embarrassed by it.
(d) He is proud of it.
6. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(b) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(c) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(d) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
7. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
(b) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
(c) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
(d) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
8. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(b) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(c) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(d) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
9. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(b) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(c) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(d) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
10. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
(a) Its theme.
(b) Its plot or storyline.
(c) Its vocabulary and use of language.
(d) Its characters.
11. What religion does Rodriguez's family practice?
12. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
(a) Loud and confident.
(b) Awkward and confusing.
(c) Flat and boring.
(d) Weak and quiet.
13. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
14. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They mispronounce it.
(b) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(c) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(d) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
15. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
(a) The children start disobeying their parents.
(b) The family loses some of its closeness.
(c) The parents depend on the children to do the talking in public.
(d) The family grows closer together.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
2. When Rodriguez hears about religious practices that are different from his own, what does he think of them?
3. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
4. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
5. Where does Rodriguez start school?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)