|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's education affect his relationship with his parents?
(a) It makes him feel closer to his parents.
(b) His parents brag about him all the time.
(c) His parents stop talking to him.
(d) It causes a separation between them.
2. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He worked very hard.
(b) He was just very lucky.
(c) He had good teachers.
(d) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
3. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She does not understand it.
(b) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
(c) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(d) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
4. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(b) He corrects their grammar.
(c) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
(d) He teaches them how to speak English.
5. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
(a) An article describes 100 important books and he decides to read all of them.
(b) An article explains why reading books can help you do well on tests, so he reads even more books.
(c) He decides to read the newspaper instead of books.
(d) He decides to read all the book on the bestseller list.
6. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
7. What is Rodriguez told when he asks questions about the church?
(a) Do not ask questions; just memorize the right answers.
(b) Asking questions is a good thing to do.
(c) God will answer all your questions.
(d) Only ask questions of the priests and nuns.
8. How does Rodriguez see the scholarship boy?
(a) As the teacher's puppet.
(b) As someone who is doomed to fail.
(c) As the future of the country.
(d) As the teacher's pet.
9. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
(a) He becomes an altar boy.
(b) He studies to become a priest.
(c) He goes to mass every week.
(d) He reads the Bible aloud in church.
10. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(b) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(c) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(d) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
11. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
(a) No, they never talked about it.
(b) No, he was the first one in his family to go to school.
(c) They told him he would have fun.
(d) They told him to be good and listen to the teacher.
12. Does Rodriguez think his religious education had the effect it was supposed to?
(a) No, because he eventually stops practicing the religion.
(b) Yes, because he gets a good education.
(c) No, because the schools were supposed to give him a broader view.
(d) Yes, because it kept him involved with the religion.
13. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) He says college is a waste of time.
(b) He teases him, but is still proud of him.
(c) He throws away Richard's diploma.
(d) He does not care if Richard does well in school.
14. What does Rodriguez learn about sin?
(a) Sins are good, and he should try to have more of them.
(b) Sins are not a big deal, and he should not worry about them.
(c) Sins are things that non-religious people do.
(d) Sins are bad, and he should confess them to the priest.
15. What religion does Rodriguez's family practice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
2. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
3. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
4. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, what is Rodriguez afraid to admit?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)