|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Rodriguez offer of a program that can help minority students?
(a) Students he knew in graduate school who went for extra tutoring.
(b) His own experience: a strong educational background.
(c) Students who took a remedial reading course.
(d) Students who went to college for five years instead of four.
2. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(b) She does not understand it.
(c) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
(d) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
3. While he studies at Stanford, what does Rodriguez do to make money?
(a) Works in the school cafeteria.
(b) Works a construction job.
(c) Tutors other students.
(d) Writes for a local newspaper.
4. As he finishes his education, does Rodriguez think his parents still love him? How do you know?
(a) Yes, because there are intimate gestures even though they do not talk much.
(b) Yes, because they throw him a graduation party.
(c) Yes, because they try to talk to him.
(d) No, because they do not talk to him.
5. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(b) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(c) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(d) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he gets older, what do people tell Rodriguez about his complexion?
2. Where does Rodriguez feel comfortable? Why?
3. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
4. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
5. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)