|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a student complains that he is being kept out of law school, what does Rodriguez do?
(a) Stay out of it.
(b) Tell him to stop whining.
(c) Argue against his case.
(d) Support his case.
2. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
(b) How did you manage your success?
(c) Can I have your autograph?
(d) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
3. Because of his skin color, what did Rodriguez's parents worry about?
(a) That he would have a harder time in school.
(b) That he would take a hard labor job.
(c) That he would get involved with a gang.
(d) That people would discriminate against him.
4. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
(a) No, because they always stayed in places where the other people spoke Spanish, too.
(b) No, he says they did all right in spite of the language problems.
(c) Yes, because they could not talk to the doctor if they were sick.
(d) Yes, he thinks they got cheated out of money because of it.
5. What is Rodriguez aware of when he visits his rich friends?
(a) His friends talk about skin color differently than his family does.
(b) His friends treat him differently because of his skin color.
(c) There are dark-skinned servants, but he is a friend, not a servant.
(d) His friends are fascinated by his skin color.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
2. How does Rodriguez describe the changes in the mass that happen as he grows up?
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
4. What does his mother think about his reading?
5. What do the Hispanic college students ask Rodriguez to do?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)