|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(b) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(c) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(d) Some words are more intimate than others.
2. What religion does Rodriguez's family practice?
3. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
(a) How much easier it is to say things in English than in Spanish.
(b) Sounds and tones he previously ignored.
(c) How much English helps him do better in school.
(d) Words he understands now that he did not understand before.
4. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Practicing English with his family.
(b) Studying with a classmate.
(c) Getting extra help from the teacher.
(d) Learning English from listening to the radio.
5. How does Rodriguez describe the 1970s student?
(a) Too focused on grades to care about other people.
(b) Cynical and sour about life.
(c) A troublemaker.
(d) Too politically conservative.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
2. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
3. How does Rodriguez say that the white students react to affirmative action?
4. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
5. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)