|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Some words are more intimate than others.
(b) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(c) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(d) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(b) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(c) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(d) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
3. Does Rodriguez think his religious education had the effect it was supposed to?
(a) Yes, because he gets a good education.
(b) No, because the schools were supposed to give him a broader view.
(c) Yes, because it kept him involved with the religion.
(d) No, because he eventually stops practicing the religion.
4. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) Better grades.
(b) More friends.
(c) A place in public society.
(d) A chance to go to college.
5. How does Rodriguez describe the 1960s student?
(a) A troublemaker.
(b) Too politically liberal.
(c) Idealistic and admirable.
(d) Prone to protesting, but with good intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Third World Student Movement?
2. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
3. What example does Rodriguez offer of a program that can help minority students?
4. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
5. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)