|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(b) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(c) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(d) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
2. At what stage in their academic career does Rodriguez believe students need help?
(a) During the last two years of high school.
(b) When they start school.
(c) When they start high school.
(d) When they start college.
3. Who teaches Rodriguez that stereotypes are not accurate?
(a) The other students.
(b) The well-educated construction workers.
(c) His professors at Stanford.
(d) His boss at his job.
4. What happens to Rodriguez as a result of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's assassination?
(a) He is scared to pursue more education.
(b) He becomes involved in the Civil Rights Movement.
(c) He loses his scholarship to a black student.
(d) He gets more scholarships and opportunities.
5. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(b) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(c) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(d) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new academic field do these minority college students ask for?
2. What does Rodriguez think of his parents' ideas on religion?
3. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
4. What does Rodriguez say education does to the scholarship boy?
5. When he is a child, what do people say about Rodriguez's complexion?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)