|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Credo, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
(a) No, they never talked about it.
(b) No, he was the first one in his family to go to school.
(c) They told him to be good and listen to the teacher.
(d) They told him he would have fun.
2. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
(a) Translating her stories shows him how things get lost in translation.
(b) Translating her stories helps him realize that intimacy is not connected to one language.
(c) She tells him Spanish is the best language.
(d) Her stubborn refusal to speak English shows him how people cling to old ideas.
3. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
(a) An article describes 100 important books and he decides to read all of them.
(b) An article explains why reading books can help you do well on tests, so he reads even more books.
(c) He decides to read all the book on the bestseller list.
(d) He decides to read the newspaper instead of books.
4. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
(a) Most people will not understand what is being said.
(b) It is embarrassing.
(c) It prevents people from learning the public language.
(d) It will eventually stop being a private language.
5. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(b) Some words are more intimate than others.
(c) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(d) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
2. Why is the picture of Christ with a punctured heart important?
3. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
4. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
5. What religious figure was very important in his parents' old church, but becomes less important in the new church?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)