Eight Week Quiz C
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez start school?
(a) In Sacramento, California.
(b) In New York City.
(c) In Miami, Florida.
(d) In St. Paul, Minnesota.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
(b) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
(c) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
(d) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
3. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
(a) A good son but a troubled student.
(b) A good student who is guaranteed to succeed.
(c) A good son who wants to please his parents.
(d) A good student but a troubled son.
4. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(b) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(c) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(d) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
5. In Aria, Chapter 3, why does Rodriguez's family tease him?
(a) Because he is bad at sports.
(b) Because they think he is ugly.
(c) Because he reads too many books.
(d) Because he cannot speak Spanish very well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
2. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, what is Rodriguez afraid to admit?
3. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
4. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
5. As Rodriguez reaches the end of his education, what does he have to confront?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)