|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
(a) If they think he should be studying a different subject.
(b) If they will understand the knowledge he gains.
(c) If they think he is trying hard enough in class.
(d) If they can help him with his homework.
2. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A new car.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A house.
(d) A television.
3. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(b) He is scared because they look tough.
(c) He envies their close bond.
(d) He wishes he could be their friend.
4. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(b) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(c) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(d) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
5. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(b) Studying with a classmate.
(c) Getting extra help from the teacher.
(d) Practicing English with his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
2. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
3. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
4. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)