|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard promise to Anne that Henry will be buried?
2. What is the name of the Lord the three men who are about to be put to death criticize?
3. What does the king do after he gets over his initial reaction to Clarence's death?
4. Where does Clarence go when he dies in his dream?
5. Why does King Edward want Richard, Lord Hastings, and Elizabeth's brothers to make peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways that Elizabeth tells Richard he can win her daughter?
2. Why does Catesby think that Hastings and Stanley will not follow Richard?
3. What does Clarence hope for out of his death?
4. Why is Buckingham's earlier claim, that York is too young to understand sanctuary and therefore cannot claim it, ridiculous?
5. What does Rivers lament over before his execution?
6. What does Richmond's speech to his soldiers show he is interested in?
7. Why do the citizens on the street worry about the country, now that the king is dead?
8. Why is the king confused when he hears Clarence has been killed?
9. In the opening soliloquy, what is Richard's wish?
10. Why do the others in the room think Margaret is mad, after she curses them all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Richard's heraldic emblem? What does it symbolize? What is the importance of this symbol to the play?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text to support your answer, discuss the importance of symbolism in the play. Make specific references to specific symbols and their importance.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text to support your answer, why does Shakespeare have scenes with commoners in them? Do these scenes broaden the scope of the play?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)