|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality in Richard is Anne impressed when he promises to oversee Henry's burial?
2. What do the people think of Margaret when she calls Richard a villain?
3. Why does King Edward get angry with everyone present when he learns of Clarence's death?
4. What did the young Duke of York say grow slowly according to Richard?
5. What does Richard say bore the King's countermand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising about Stanely's announcement that Elizabeth is letting her daughter marry Richmond?
2. What does Rivers lament over before his execution?
3. What does Richard want to do with a horse, if he could gain one after his is slain?
4. Why is Richmond confident that they will beat Richard?
5. In the opening soliloquy, what is Richard's wish?
6. Why does the Mayor end up begging for Richard to become king?
7. Why does Stanley tell Christopher that he cannot support Richmond?
8. What does Clarence hope for out of his death?
9. What does the scrivener think about the people who do not see what Richard is doing?
10. in Act 5, Scene 1, how is Buckingham getting justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the physical appearance of Richard symbolize his mental abilities? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text to support your answer, why does Shakespeare have scenes with commoners in them? Do these scenes broaden the scope of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is Richard's heraldic emblem? What does it symbolize? What is the importance of this symbol to the play?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)