|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes into Clarence's cell when Clarence is sleeping?
2. In the dream, what does Richard do when Clarence tries to steady him?
3. Why does Richard say that Clarence was killed?
4. Who orders the arrest of Grey and his companion?
5. Who is the situation in England left to according to the three speakers in Act II, scene iii?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Hastings refuses to be on Richard's side, who does Richard accuse of using witchcraft against him, and how did they use it?
2. How does Richard get Anne to not be furious with him?
3. How do the children know that the Duchess of York is lying to them?
4. What is the importance of Clarence speaking with the assassins?
5. What does Buckingham believe he is being punished for at his execution?
6. Why is the king angry after hearing of Clarence's death?
7. Why is Buckingham's earlier claim, that York is too young to understand sanctuary and therefore cannot claim it, ridiculous?
8. How does the third citizen describe the queen's brothers?
9. Why is Richmond confident that they will beat Richard?
10. Why is Anne regretting having married Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the mothers in the play? What is their role? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are the motivations of Richard and Richmond? How are their motivations similar or different? How do they translate into action? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play, discuss the importance of family and lineage to the characters. How is it portrayed throughout the play and how does it affect the plot?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)