|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard promise to Anne that Henry will be buried?
2. Which two Houses were involved in the recent war?
3. Who is speaking in Act II, scence iii?
4. Over how long in actual history do the play's events take place?
5. Who is Queen in Act I, scene iii?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Hastings refuses to be on Richard's side, who does Richard accuse of using witchcraft against him, and how did they use it?
2. After Hastings is arrested, and ordered to be beheaded, what does he say?
3. After Tyrrel confirms that the two princes were killed, what does Richard state?
4. Why are the women frightened when they try and go see the young princes in the Tower?
5. What does the imagery in Clarence's dream suggest?
6. What does the scrivener think about the people who do not see what Richard is doing?
7. Why is Richard worried that the Mayor will not meet with him a second time?
8. Why is the king confused when he hears Clarence has been killed?
9. What happens at the end of the dream Clarence has while he is in prison?
10. What are some of the ways that Elizabeth tells Richard he can win her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text to support your answer, why does Shakespeare have scenes with commoners in them? Do these scenes broaden the scope of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What are the motivations of Richard and Richmond? How are their motivations similar or different? How do they translate into action? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between the ruler and the state in this play? How does it change based on who is the ruler? Use specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)