|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clarence is dead, he sees an unknown person that he killed where?
2. What traditionally follows the death of a ruler?
3. Richard says that he will follow Buckingham's directions in the matter of crowning a new king, "like a _______."
4. What does Richard promise to Buckingham for his help?
5. Where are Grey, Rivers and Vaughan brought to be put to death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the scrivener think about Richard's actions?
2. In the opening soliloquy, what is Richard's wish?
3. What does the scrivener think about the people who do not see what Richard is doing?
4. Why do the citizens on the street worry about the country, now that the king is dead?
5. What are some of the ways that Elizabeth tells Richard he can win her daughter?
6. Before he dies, what does Grey say about Margaret's curse?
7. Why is Richard gloating over giving Anne his ring?
8. How does Richard try and lift his men's spirits at Bosworth's field?
9. How is Edward's punishment of Clarence his own doing, and not Richard's fault?
10. Why is Buckingham's earlier claim, that York is too young to understand sanctuary and therefore cannot claim it, ridiculous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Shakespeare's attitude towards Richard? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is Richard's heraldic emblem? What does it symbolize? What is the importance of this symbol to the play?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play, discuss the importance of family and lineage to the characters. How is it portrayed throughout the play and how does it affect the plot?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)