|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does Anne think Richard is?
2. Who ordered Clarence's murder?
3. When Grey, Rivers and Vaughan are about to be put to death, who do they ask to be appeased so their families will be spared?
4. What traditionally follows the death of a ruler?
5. What is the name of Hastings' mistress that Richard claims caused his deformation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard want to spread a rumor about Anne's health?
2. How does the third citizen describe the queen's brothers?
3. After Tyrrel confirms that the two princes were killed, what does Richard state?
4. What is Margaret's curse?
5. Why is the king angry after hearing of Clarence's death?
6. In the opening soliloquy, what is Richard's wish?
7. How does Richard deflect the attention from his misdeeds when he enters the King's room?
8. Why is Buckingham's earlier claim, that York is too young to understand sanctuary and therefore cannot claim it, ridiculous?
9. What does Richmond do for Richard's soldiers?
10. What does the scrivener think about Richard's actions?
Essay Topic 1
What is Richard's heraldic emblem? What does it symbolize? What is the importance of this symbol to the play?
Essay Topic 2
How does the physical appearance of Richard symbolize his mental abilities? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text to support your answer, why does Shakespeare have scenes with commoners in them? Do these scenes broaden the scope of the play?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)