|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does York not call his son in Act 5, Scene 2?
2. What object does Richard break in Act 4, Scene 1?
3. Who said, "Let's fight with gentle words"?
4. What does Richard give Bolingbroke during the first meeting since the beginning of the play?
5. How does Richard respond to Bolingbroke's demands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shakespeare's symbolism of England as sacred ground, a second "Eden" of sorts, was a theme that was heavily used in the play, and something often explored in the lessons. Discuss this symbolism and its most striking examples in the play.
Essay Topic 2
There are numerous displays of power and people yielding to that power in "Richard II". What were some of the most important examples of this, and what does it say about the characters who acted in this way? Think about how loyalties changed over the course of the play when addressing this question.
Essay Topic 3
Women played a minimal role in "Richard II". Why do you think this is and how would the play have been different if the female characters had stronger roles?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)