|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the prison in Act 5, Scene 5?
2. Who do York and the Duchess feel pity for in Act 5, Scene 2?
3. Where will Bolingbroke take Richard after their first confrontation since the beginning of the play?
4. Whom does Scroop insist sides with Bolingbroke?
5. Who is the last character to speak in Act 5, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shakespeare's symbolism of England as sacred ground, a second "Eden" of sorts, was a theme that was heavily used in the play, and something often explored in the lessons. Discuss this symbolism and its most striking examples in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Richard's eloquent speeches were a very important aspect of the play. What did these speeches say of Richard's character? What did they add to the play? Did anyone else speak like Richard?
Essay Topic 3
The previous question deals with tracking the audiences' distrust with Richard. However, the play is written so you lose trust for Richard but then begin to sympathize with him again. How does this begin to happen? By the end of the play, what emotions were associated with Richard? What was more profound, your dislike of him in the beginning or your regret for his loss at the end?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)