|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lines are in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. What is the setting in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What does Bushy do for the Queen in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Who are the first characters to enter Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Who was Richard's uncle and Gaunt's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would it seem that Exton is going to do in Act 5, Scene 4?
2. Summarize Bushy and Greens' final moments.
3. What is the news that ultimately destroys Richard's spirits? What does he do?
4. How does Richard respond immediately after learning of Gaunt's death? Who responds the harshest to this news, and what does he say to Richard?
5. How long is Bolingbroke banished for and how does this change? Why? Why is Gaunt still upset?
6. Who is Bolingbroke looking for in Act 5, Scene 3? Describe what you know of this person.
7. Why is the Duke of York not supportive of Bolingbroke's revolution?
8. Why doesn't Richard trust Bolingbroke's relationship with the people of England?
9. Who in Act 2, Scene 4 tries to persuade the other to remain waiting for Richard? Why?
10. How does York meet Bolingbroke at Berkley Castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
York and Gaunt were very adamant about being loyal to the king, whoever the king may have been. We discussed their traditional beliefs. What were these beliefs specifically, and what did following them so strictly say of their character? Was this strict adherence to these beliefs masking anything underneath? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of "family" seemed more important to some characters than to others. Describe to whom family was and wasn't important. What were the priorities for the people who found other things to be more important than family?
Essay Topic 3
How is "Richard II," a play hundreds of years old, relevant to our times today? What themes of the play are timeless? What did you see in the play that you see in your daily life?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)