|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "My comfort is that heaven will take our souls and plague injustice with the pains of hell." Who says this?
2. Who does Bolingbroke put in charge of escorting the prisoners away?
3. What made Aumerle cry when he said goodbye to Bolingbroke?
4. What do Northumberland, Ross, and Willoughby discuss after Richard leaves Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Where is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard's condition in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 5. What is he doing?
2. Who is arriving at Ravenspurgh in Act 2, Scene 2? What does this mean?
3. How does Act 3, Scene 3 end?
4. What does the Queen learn while eavesdropping?
5. What is the Queen doing in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4? What changes this behavior?
6. In the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3 there is information Bolingbroke and Richard each do not know, that the other does. What is this information for each party?
7. Whose power seems to be stronger as of Act 2, Scene 3: Richard's or Bolingbroke's?
8. What does the Duchess of Gloucester beg for Gaunt to do in Act 1, Scene 2? How does he respond?
9. What happens after Aumerle and his family enter Act 5, Scene 3?
10. What are the Duchess and the Duke discussing in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2? What happened in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
York and Gaunt were very adamant about being loyal to the king, whoever the king may have been. We discussed their traditional beliefs. What were these beliefs specifically, and what did following them so strictly say of their character? Was this strict adherence to these beliefs masking anything underneath? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Richard and Bolingbroke were very different types of kings. Compare and contrast their kingship and their general character traits that made them the kings they were.
Essay Topic 3
Did Bolingbroke want Richard to be killed? Discuss whether or not you believe Exton, that he wanted Richard executed, and what that changes about Bolingbroke's surface layer of nobility.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)