|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many characters are in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. Where was the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Which character officially swears in Mowbray and Bolingbroke at the duel?
4. How long has the Welsh army been waiting for Richard?
5. What is the final line of Act 2, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Gaunt's conversation with Richard before he dies.
2. How does Richard greet England upon returning from Ireland?
3. How is Act 1, Scene 1 different after the revelations of Scene 2?
4. Which other scene in the play is Act 4, Scene 1 most comparable to? Why?
5. How does Act 3, Scene 3 end?
6. Who is Bolingbroke looking for in Act 5, Scene 3? Describe what you know of this person.
7. How does Richard ultimately respond to the conflict of Act 1, Scene 1?
8. What does Bushy announce in Act 1, Scene 4 and how does Richard react?
9. How does York meet Bolingbroke at Berkley Castle?
10. What happens immediately preceding the official start of the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Did Bolingbroke want Richard to be killed? Discuss whether or not you believe Exton, that he wanted Richard executed, and what that changes about Bolingbroke's surface layer of nobility.
Essay Topic 2It is probably most peoples' answer that Bolingbroke would make a better king than Richard when it comes to real life. However, Richard certainly fills the shoes of a king's character better. In other words, his character did a better job of "being a king" on stage. Discuss this difference and what Shakespeare might have meant including it with the play.
Essay Topic 3York and Gaunt were very adamant about being loyal to the king, whoever the king may have been. We discussed their traditional beliefs. What were these beliefs specifically, and what did following them so strictly say of their character? Was this strict adherence to these beliefs masking anything underneath? Discuss.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)