|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is the only one to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. How many characters are in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What does Bolingbroke claim to be his intentions for invading England?
4. Which of the following character is not in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What made Aumerle cry when he said goodbye to Bolingbroke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bolingbroke justify taking license to execute?
2. What is the Queen doing in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4? What changes this behavior?
3. What happens immediately preceding the official start of the duel?
4. What does the Queen learn while eavesdropping?
5. Summarize what Bolingbroke claims to be his cause and intent for invading England. How is this unlikely?
6. Why does the Captain think Richard is dead?
7. How does Richard respond immediately after learning of Gaunt's death? Who responds the harshest to this news, and what does he say to Richard?
8. When is it apparent in the play that Richard will be succeeded?
9. Describe Bushy, Bagot, and Green's different plans at the end of Act 2, Scene 2.
10. Describe what happens right before the duel between Mowbray and Bolingbroke is to begin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard's eloquent speeches were a very important aspect of the play. What did these speeches say of Richard's character? What did they add to the play? Did anyone else speak like Richard?
Essay Topic 2
Shakespeare's symbolism of England as sacred ground, a second "Eden" of sorts, was a theme that was heavily used in the play, and something often explored in the lessons. Discuss this symbolism and its most striking examples in the play.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of "family" seemed more important to some characters than to others. Describe to whom family was and wasn't important. What were the priorities for the people who found other things to be more important than family?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)