|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Richard handle the situation in Ireland?
2. What made Aumerle cry when he said goodbye to Bolingbroke?
3. What does Richard learn of Gaunt in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Who does the Duchess wish ill upon at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Gaunt mock while he speaks with Richard in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is arriving at Ravenspurgh in Act 2, Scene 2? What does this mean?
2. What does Bushy announce in Act 1, Scene 4 and how does Richard react?
3. What does Gaunt reveal in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Who in Act 2, Scene 4 tries to persuade the other to remain waiting for Richard? Why?
5. What is the news that ultimately destroys Richard's spirits? What does he do?
6. How does Bolingbroke handle the murder of Richard?
7. Who is Bolingbroke looking for in Act 5, Scene 3? Describe what you know of this person.
8. What are the Duchess and the Duke discussing in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2? What happened in the story?
9. What happens at the end of Act 5, Scene 1? What does this say of York?
10. What is Richard told has happened to the Welsh army? How does Richard respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women played a minimal role in "Richard II". Why do you think this is and how would the play have been different if the female characters had stronger roles?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss themes, symbolisms, motivations, etc. you noticed in the play that were not discussed in class. Compare their relevance to those that were discussed throughout the lessons. Discuss their effect on your overall experience and lasting impression of "Richard II."
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think lived by their values the most throughout the story? Who did not? Discuss morality in the characters, and how you think this affected their behavior.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)