|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Alexandra Palace.
(b) Buckingham Palace.
(d) Windsor Castle.
2. Which of the following is a quote by Richard in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) "O God defend my soul from such deep sin!"
(b) "We were not born to sue, but to command."
(c) "Obedience bids I should not bid again."
(d) "Mine honour is my life, both grow in one."
3. What is Gaunt's final line?
(a) "Words, life and all old Lancaster hath spent."
(b) "Live in thy shame, but die not shame with thee."
(c) "Convey me to my bed, then to my grave."
(d) "Love they to live that love and honour have."
4. Who does the Duchess wish ill upon at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is Bolingbroke's title now that Gaunt is dead?
(a) Lord Aumerle.
(b) Lord Lancaster.
(c) The Duke of Kent.
(d) Sir Henry of Wales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks first in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How will Richard handle the situation in Ireland?
3. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
4. Which of the following is not a reason Bolingbroke is executing the prisoners?
5. What does Gaunt call Richard in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Bolingbroke claims to be his cause and intent for invading England. How is this unlikely?
2. Which other scene in the play is Act 4, Scene 1 most comparable to? Why?
3. Describe what happens right before the duel between Mowbray and Bolingbroke is to begin.
4. How does Richard greet England upon returning from Ireland?
5. How does York meet Bolingbroke at Berkley Castle?
6. What is the Queen doing in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4? What changes this behavior?
7. How is Richard going to dismantle the finances of England to pay for his war in Ireland?
8. Of what do Mowbray and Bolingbroke accuse one another in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. What is Bolingbroke going to do to Bushy and Green in Act 3, Scene 1? What are his reasons for doing so?
10. How does Act 3, Scene 3 end?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)