Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Northumberland's son?
2. "...for God's substitute, His deputy anointed in His sight..." Who is being referred to here?
(a) The king.
(b) The shaman.
(c) The judge.
(d) The pope.
3. Who does Bolingbroke put in charge of escorting the prisoners away?
4. What is Gaunt's final line?
(a) "Live in thy shame, but die not shame with thee."
(b) "Words, life and all old Lancaster hath spent."
(c) "Convey me to my bed, then to my grave."
(d) "Love they to live that love and honour have."
5. What does Richard learn of Gaunt in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) He is very sick.
(b) He is leaving the country too.
(c) He is threatening to commit suicide.
(d) He is heartbroken and acting insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bolingbroke's title now that Gaunt is dead?
2. What does Bushy do for the Queen in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does Northumberland then confide to Ross and Willoughby in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. To whom does Bolingbroke send a message to in Act 3, Scene 1 that he has no ill-will towards?
5. What does Gaunt call Richard in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gaunt reveal in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. How long is Bolingbroke banished for and how does this change? Why? Why is Gaunt still upset?
3. Summarize what Bolingbroke claims to be his cause and intent for invading England. How is this unlikely?
4. What is the Queen doing in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4? What changes this behavior?
5. What do Gaunt and York discuss privately in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
6. Who in Act 2, Scene 4 tries to persuade the other to remain waiting for Richard? Why?
7. What do Richard and the Queen seem to be more pained by: losing the monarchy or each other? Why?
8. How does Richard respond immediately after learning of Gaunt's death? Who responds the harshest to this news, and what does he say to Richard?
9. In the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3 there is information Bolingbroke and Richard each do not know, that the other does. What is this information for each party?
10. Describe what happens right before the duel between Mowbray and Bolingbroke is to begin.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)