|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the last character to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) The Gardener.
2. What does Northumberland then confide to Ross and Willoughby in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he is going to join Richard in his invasion of Ireland.
(b) That he is secretly planning to assassinate Richard.
(c) That Bolingbroke is returning to England with an army.
(d) That he killed Gaunt.
3. Where was the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Alexandra Palace.
(c) Windsor Castle.
(d) Buckingham Palace.
4. What does Gaunt mock while he speaks with Richard in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) His sickness.
(b) His wife's cooking.
(c) His son's exile.
(d) His name.
5. Who announces Gaunt's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bolingbroke's father?
2. What is the double metaphor spoken in the Duchess's first speech of the play?
3. What do Mowbray and Bolingbroke state officially that they are fighting for at the duel?
4. What does Bushy do for the Queen in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. "...for God's substitute, His deputy anointed in His sight..." Who is being referred to here?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Richard trust Bolingbroke's relationship with the people of England?
2. How is Richard comforted in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. How does Gaunt try lifting Bolingbroke's spirits? Does it work?
4. Who in Act 2, Scene 4 tries to persuade the other to remain waiting for Richard? Why?
5. Describe Bushy, Bagot, and Green's different plans at the end of Act 2, Scene 2.
6. How does York meet Bolingbroke at Berkley Castle?
7. Summarize Bushy and Greens' final moments.
8. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does the Duchess of Gloucester seem to be saying she is going to do?
9. What is the overall mood of Act 2, Scene 2?
10. What does the Duchess of Gloucester beg for Gaunt to do in Act 1, Scene 2? How does he respond?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)