|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which nation does York refer to as he discusses vanity?
2. Which of the following is a quote by Richard in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) "Obedience bids I should not bid again."
(b) "We were not born to sue, but to command."
(c) "Mine honour is my life, both grow in one."
(d) "O God defend my soul from such deep sin!"
3. Who informally swears their allegiance to Bolingbroke in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. Who does the Duchess wish ill upon at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who is the last to speak in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does York regard Bolingbroke's acting against the king?
2. What does York warn Gaunt in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. "Well, he is gone, and with him go these thoughts." Who says this?
4. What is Gaunt's final line?
5. Which character officially swears in Mowbray and Bolingbroke at the duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Duchess and the Duke discussing in the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2? What happened in the story?
2. How does Richard respond immediately after learning of Gaunt's death? Who responds the harshest to this news, and what does he say to Richard?
3. What does Richard announce he will do at the end of Act 2, Scene 1? What do we learn will happen upon his doing so?
4. What happens immediately preceding the official start of the duel?
5. When is it apparent in the play that Richard will be succeeded?
6. How does York meet Bolingbroke at Berkley Castle?
7. What is Richard told has happened to the Welsh army? How does Richard respond?
8. Why does the Captain think Richard is dead?
9. What is Bolingbroke going to do to Bushy and Green in Act 3, Scene 1? What are his reasons for doing so?
10. What does the Duchess of Gloucester beg for Gaunt to do in Act 1, Scene 2? How does he respond?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)